Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Christmas Dinner & Camp 2017: December 09, 2017 - December 10, 2017
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Christmas Dinner & Camp 2017  (Read 31624 times)

Bigwavesurfer

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Newbie Poster
Re: Christmas Dinner & Camp 2017
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2017 »

Hardly any snow up here in Newcastle folks  :'( compared to Belfast. Tomorrow's forecast looks great, but think we might have to make a quick dash for the cars sunday morning. It'll either be Heavy snow or Heavy rain  ::)  Is there a specific time we need to be there to start cooking?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2017 »

Grizzly Dave, our mad man on the hill is going to let us know what it's like in the morning after he's had his morning swim in the Annalong river and caught his breakfast  8) We'll also check with the car park at Carrick Little at about 10am to see what the conditions are like and will post here. As of 7pm this evening the Head Road and Carrick Little Lane were clear and driveable.

We want to aim to eat by 7ish since it's going to be a cold one. We'll want a good sized fire and plenty of wood gathered before dark to see us through the evening. I'll be aiming to be up there at 2-3pm with an eye to starting cooking before 6pm.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2017 »

I’m just back from santas cottage on the sandbank road, oh god it’s looking peachy out there, the roads were fine to drive on as long as you take your time.

And hell yes, Santas 100% real!  ;D
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2017 »

I'm a bit wary of coming up in a car that's rwd and pretty poor in bad weather. Any chance I could cadge a lift from someone? I can get to Newcastle okay, I'm just worried about driving out the Head Road and beyond.

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has issued the following weather warning.

An AMBER warning of Low Temperatures/Ice has been issued for Northern Ireland.

Ice will become a problem overnight with temperautres dropping to -2 to -5 or -6 in one or two spots.

Ice has already started to form on many roads across the country after some slight melting of snow this afternoon, this is starting to freeze and causing some hazardous on roads and footpaths tonight so much so that we have issued a rare amber warning for Ice.

The public are advised to take extra care if out tonight.

Our yellow warning for snow remains in force tonight and into tomorrow. Along with our Amber warning for snow on Sunday.

DFI - The Salting of roads on the scheduled network considered to be at risk is planned for this evening and overnight. Road users are advised to exercise caution when travelling, particularly when driving on untreated roads.

Warning valid from 20:15 08/12/2017
Valid Until 11:00 09/12/2017

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2017 »

I’m working tomorrow but plan to leave early. I’m hopefully leaving Belfast about 3ish. If you need camping essentials let me know and I can get them in Cotswold before I go.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2017 »

I got sorted for a lift, cheers all  8)

I'm a bit wary of coming up in a car that's rwd and pretty poor in bad weather. Any chance I could cadge a lift from someone? I can get to Newcastle okay, I'm just worried about driving out the Head Road and beyond.

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has issued the following weather warning.

An AMBER warning of Low Temperatures/Ice has been issued for Northern Ireland.

Ice will become a problem overnight with temperautres dropping to -2 to -5 or -6 in one or two spots.

Ice has already started to form on many roads across the country after some slight melting of snow this afternoon, this is starting to freeze and causing some hazardous on roads and footpaths tonight so much so that we have issued a rare amber warning for Ice.

The public are advised to take extra care if out tonight.

Our yellow warning for snow remains in force tonight and into tomorrow. Along with our Amber warning for snow on Sunday.

DFI - The Salting of roads on the scheduled network considered to be at risk is planned for this evening and overnight. Road users are advised to exercise caution when travelling, particularly when driving on untreated roads.

Warning valid from 20:15 08/12/2017
Valid Until 11:00 09/12/2017

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2017 »

My dad always said rear wheel drive cars are actually much better in snow because you have the option of loading as much weight as you want onto the driving wheels. Just fill the boot with weight. I have never owned a rear wheel drive car myself to test the theory..

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2017 »

Makes sense I suppose but I'll not use this weekend to test his hypothesis :P

My dad always said rear wheel drive cars are actually much better in snow because you have the option of loading as much weight as you want onto the driving wheels. Just fill the boot with weight. I have never owned a rear wheel drive car myself to test the theory..

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2017 »

Grizzly Dave is alive and well and says the conditions are the same and there's been no more snow overnight.

Unsurprisingly he says it's extremely cold!

I spoke to Carrick Plant Hire again who run the car park and they also say, no more snow overnight and there's already a few cars parked.

It's worth noting that there's potentially more snow forecast for Sunday morning so bear that in mind when planning for coming back.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017 by RedLeader »

NIPupper

• Top Poster
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2017 »

hi, if it's not to late i'd like to attend also. not sure whats left, is anyone bringing christmas cake? if not i'll try to pick up a tasty one.
cheers.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2017 »

Fire away. I'll be on channel 6 on the radio if anyone is bringing one. Anyone who wants my mobile number PM me but reception can be patchy up there.

hi, if it's not to late i'd like to attend also. not sure whats left, is anyone bringing christmas cake? if not i'll try to pick up a tasty one.
cheers.

Martin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2017 »

Sorry guys, bottling this one. Bit nervous about the drive home tomorrow.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2017 »

Sorry guys, bottling this one. Bit nervous about the drive home tomorrow.

Noooooo, just stay 2 nights  ;)

While the weather has the potential to be quite bad tomorrow morning it’s currently looking like rain for us and snow further south  :(
think outside, no box required

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2017 »

Well done everyone on another classic christmas camp, the weather gods helped a bit too. Just one complaint though  >:( awesome as it was, there was something missing from the dinner and I couldn't quite put my finger on it  ??? then on emptying my rucksack back at home I found a jar of cranberry sauce, doh  :-[ I actually think its the same jar I brought last year  ;D
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2017 »

Brilliant camp and as usual, top notch food guys. I'd a ball and the weather was epic, nicely Christmassy but without being too cold.

Can anyone who has any photos send them to me. PM me if you need a hand.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]