Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: North Coast Walk  (Read 4811 times)

surfnscenic

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
North Coast Walk
« on: August 22, 2012 »

I'm hoping to do a walk on the north coast tomorrow.  Probably from Ballintoy towards the Causeway or thereabouts.

Any information on the route and, more importantly, what equipment I should bring would be welcome.

Box of hindsight is locked.  I don't have the key so can't get into it before I set off tomorrow.

Thank you.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Re: North Coast Walk
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012 »

That box of hindsight is pretty wonderful isn't it.

Not on the subject of gear - but there are some very nice caches around Ballintoy / Causeway direction.
The missus got some great photos there about a month ago, I'll PM you a link so you can see what you have to look forward to on a good day :)

A.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012 »

I'm sure somebody will tell me what gear I should have brought. ;) ;D

Thank you.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012 »

Surf, it is a great walk.  Make sure you take your camera.  With this weather you could get a few muddy patches along the way so footwear should reflect that.  I suppose when I have done it I have taken more or less the same kind of stuff that I wear up the Mournes.  Prepare to feel overdressed when you reach the causeway though!

Check the tide tables to see when the tide is out,  from memory the section to Portbraddan round the coast needs the tide to be out so that you can hug the coastline.  You ideally don't want to have to go up to the roadside.

To quote from Walk NI(this is the opposite direction to what you are planning):

Beyond Portbraddan is White Park Bay and the shortest route to the beach is by scrambling across chalk boulders at the base of the cliffs.

Please note that during high tides the beach can only be reached by taking the winding road up to the main coast road and descending onto the beach further east via the track beside the Youth Hostel. Then turn left at Ballintoy village and turn right at the white church to get back onto the Causeway Coast Way.

If tidal conditions are favourable, the beach offers easy walking for thirty minutes along its length. At its eastern end cross a stile and follow a rough path for another twenty minutes to the harbour at Ballintoy.

Enjoy, wish it was me going  :(
"Not all those who wander are lost."

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012 »

Thanks Whorya.

I've my Merrell trail shoes that need a good outing so I understand that I may get wet feet.  I have some kit with me but didn't bring kayak nor hang glider.  Anyway, just have to make do!  Weather looks reasonable with showers with some sun breaking through, at least until later evening. 

Not intending to go mad, just want to have a look and then perhaps in the future do a much longer section or all of the coastal walk.  Charging camera up so hopefulyl will have something to show later.

Thank you.

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012 »

Walked from Ballintoy Harbour to the Causeway Centre. Trip report and photos to follow.  Having reagrd to other recent threads will include kit list.

Thursday 23 August 2012.

Started off from the harbour at Ballintoy.  There were plenty of cars parked and people milling about enjoying the sea fresh air and the stunning views accentuated by the bright sunshine.  How long would that last?  The path is easy to follow and mindful of advice to check the tide times I wondered when this advice would become apparent.

As I neared a turn in the heading there were other walkers coming towards me.  As we met I was informed that the path was blocked due to the tide being in.  This was when the tide information was relevant!  However, I was intending to see where I could get to as I don’t know the area.

This necessitated turning back and then climbing up a bank onto the top of the headland.  Here the path was less obvious, the ground thick with thistles and other jagging plants.  After crossing some fences and sliding down a grassy slope I reached a wide well used path bounded on each side by lush grasses and wind bush.  A short walk lead directly onto the beautiful sandy and almost stone-less beach.  The sky was turning that awful grey colour, rain was threatening, I was hoping it wouldn’t.

Walking on soft sand isn’t easy, as we all know, so I tried to walk on the wetter sand dodging the waves as they tried to catch me out.  The wave sculpture had created some interesting shapes on the sand and this one, I thought, resembles a little mountain range, don’t know where though.

The cliff face is dotted with little inlets and caverns so I intended that one of them would be my place for lunch.  It was really peaceful having a break looking out into the sea and along the coastline. 

With lunch over it was onwards around the coastal path which involved a bit of scrambling over rocks, some of which were a bit slippy.  Then a small group of beautifully kept houses and a slipway came into view.  They were nestled in a quiet bay surrounded by towering trees that swayed in a gentle sea breeze.

Mindful that these were private dwellings I was cautious about trespassing, even by using my camera or staring.  Just to the left of the house is a small out-building, smaller than a standard garage.  It was only by the presence of two other visitors that I realised that it was in fact a church.
This allegedly is the smallest church in Ireland.  See this link:- http://www.causewaycoastway.com/towns-villages/portbraddan.php

This is where the path is closed, or rather about  another ¼ mile beyond.  I did venture to see exactly what had happened and found that a wooden structure had collapsed, most likely in a local landslide.  Remnants lay strangled in the mud and debris.  So, having ignored the warning sign I had to endure another back-track detour.  Other walkers passed me in the opposite direction.  I did advise them of the obstacle ahead, but, like me they were curious to see how far they could go anyway.

Back at the Gobbans Church it was uphill on the tarmac out onto the A2 road.  This walk was short but precarious due to the speed and desire of drivers to ruffle my feathers with their door mirrors. There is a road to the right the B146 which leads to Dunseverick Castle.  There were plenty of tourists here,  cameras clicking, eyes drinking in the stunning views.
The path maintained by the National trust winds its way into the gently rising, grass and gorse covered backdrop to the castle remains.  It was like thick pile carpet compared to the harshness of the tarmac.
The path continues on towards the Causeway Centre, meandering along the incredible coastline of North Antrim, the solid and apparently indestructible rock carved by the might of the unrelenting onslaught of the mighty wind and waves.

On approaching the Giants Causeway I was surprised and rather puzzled by the presence of large yellow and red square boards.  I was later informed that these are something to do with flags or similar and are there until September.  I’d welcome any other information.  They are a bit of an eyesore.

Finally, I reached the Causeway Centre where I was collected for the short journey back to Bushmills. This was an enjoyable walk which no doubt can be enhanced when the collapsed walkway is eventually restored.  With a bit of planning I would like to walk other sections of the Causeway Walk.

Heres a link to all the photos

http://imageshack.us/g/580/ballintoytocauseway23au.jpg/

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012 by surfnscenic »

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012 »

Trip report and photos uploaded.

Link to album

http://imageshack.us/g/580/ballintoytocauseway23au.jpg/

Hope you enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012 by surfnscenic »

Shan Doan

• Newbie Poster
    • Shan Doan Videos
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012 »

Good write-up and pics. It's a lovely area up along there.

I've only done the car tourist-type thing along the coast many times, but it's good to see how things are walking along the coast. Wouldn't mind doing that myself someday.

:)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]