Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Foraging books?  (Read 21694 times)

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
Foraging books?
« on: May 12, 2018 »

Can anyone recommend a good book on wild foods for Northern Ireland? We are not actually planning to eat any of it.... unless we chance on some blackberries, but I am trying to prepare activities for a family camp out. I was thinking to make a game of it, a bit like a scavenger hunt but for anything edible. Since we won't be killing things to eat or even pulling up  random plants, the idea is for them to take photos of everything they think is edible. Then we look them up. Anyone with poisonous loses. After that whoever has found an assortment that provided the most complete meal wins, and I will come up with some prize. Hopefully it will be entertaining, encourage some exploring, and be somewhat educational at least.

NIPupper

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
Re: Foraging books?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018 »

good idea, don't know of any books but i like this bushcraft channel, MCQBushcraft. it's based in england but most information will still be applicable. here is a video called Bushcraft Foraging: Wild Edibles of Spring.

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018 »

Thank you for your reply, and the video was quite helpful. We have ordered a Collins handbook called free food. It hasn't arrived yet but their books are usually quite good.

My son also chose and outdoor survival book with his  "book allowance". I am afraid as much as I have tried to raise bibliophiles, their pocket money is more apt to go on a video game or day out than a book, but children do read more when they choose the book themselves, so they get a monthly book allowance as well.

The book really looks very good, but is American and many of the foods shown there don't grow here, at least not that I know of. Still it has so many fun topics I thought I would recommend it. My son particularly wants to try the primitive weapons section, though I highly doubt a home made atlantl will work and the stone knife looks very difficult. Still we have fun trying, and the bola and sling look a bit easier to make, though I suspect hitting a target will be much more difficult. It has all the basics like making shelter, finding and purifying water (again we will try this, but we won't be drinking it),  and the most obvious but best survival advice, and worth repeating.. have a plan and let someone know where you are going and when you will return. Sadly I don't think we will ever find enough dead wood to try shelter building, though I may consider buying some somewhere so we can do the survival badge, and the advice avoiding bears won't be relevant here. Or even the pit cooking since most sites won't allow fire on then ground. But I can't wait to try the basket making and the wood carving looks fun too.

So if anyone is interested, here it is:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Bushcraft-Survival-Manual-ebook/dp/B076HBHKZC/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

NIPupper

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018 »

cool, i'll have a look at the book.

There is a lot of dead wood and many shelters built at Oxford Island, a nature reserve located on the South-Eastern shores of Lough Neagh, County Armagh. You can drive there, it's just of the M1. The location is about 100meters from the car parks and may be reached by gravel paths. i've marked it on the map below.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/54%C2%B029%2742.6%22N+6%C2%B023%2710.3%22W/@54.4951653,-6.3862424,703m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d54.4951712!4d-6.3861833

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018 »

Thank you for your reply, and the video was quite helpful. We have ordered a Collins handbook called free food. It hasn't arrived yet but their books are usually quite good.

'Food for Free by Richard Mabey' is a great little book as is the series of those books. Pocket size so you can take it with you any where. It's a good choice: https://goo.gl/cDTBdu

Another book, any 'kid' may find interesting is 'The Dangerous Book for Boys, by Conn and Hal Iggulden':
https://goo.gl/r5qQ7A

It's really not dangerous but full of interesting subjects to pass the time out-doors.

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018 »

Thanks I think we will try the Dangerous book for boys too. Right now we are reading one on fire making.

Rugged Track

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018 »

I saw a advert for an app one day for plants.  It apparently worked world wide and it was based around taking a picture on the photo App and it identifies plants quickly.  I can't remember  what it was called.  It may be quick and useful in the field if it could be trusted.

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018 »

I will have to look for that. There is no chance we will be eating anything we are not 100 percent certain of, just taking pictures, so it wouldn't be catastrophic if it was inaccurate. If we were going to eat anything, we would triple check with reliable sources and even then I wouldn't go feeding the children things like wild mushrooms. I can see how amateurs could get in trouble easily.

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018 »

I've been out with Dermot from Foraging Ireland a couple of times in the past.
So much better than a book!
Might be worth looking on his website to see if he's running anything.

Rugged Track

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018 »

Spotted this on Mournelive on facebook have shared an Foraging event/ course/ workshop. Saturday 14th July Kilkeel. 10am - 4pm
'Wild food is the ultimate in local produce - why not try your hand at a spot of foraging and learn how to cook with ingredients from Nature's Larder ? Book early to avoid disappointment !'

Spend a day in our own private meadow by the river with forager Alison McGrenaghan. This is the first of our foraging workshops where you will get the opportunity to discover what's in season from natures larder.
The morning will be spent foraging and we will have the chance to do some cooking with our foraged finds in the afternoon.
The day includes refreshments on arrival with Tea/Coffee and lunch.
Cost for the day is £35 - places are limited so please email
greenholidaycottages@gmail.com to book your place

https://www.facebook.com/events/2072446053082138/

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018 »

Thanks everyone. I found a free foraging event for him to attend with Ulster Wildlife trust, and a Bush craft one as well. They are doing all sorts of things this summer, almost all of them are free with the exception of a couple of boar tours so some of you might want t check them out as well :
https://www.ulsterwildlife.org/whats-on?page=4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]