Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Which ponds/lakes and what rods?  (Read 19016 times)

Jasonfresh

• Newbie Poster
Which ponds/lakes and what rods?
« on: May 26, 2017 »

Hello Northern Ireland Wild Forum,

My friends and I have decided that we want to go on a fishing trip for a couple of weeks and we decided that Ireland might be a good choice. None of us have been there before so we have never fished there either, it's like hitting 2 birds with one stone. But, as none of us have been there we are clueless of where to go and what kind of fish we should be looking to catch. In England, we go to carp ponds most of the time and literally pull Carp out all day long. We also like fishing for Pike on a lazy day. I have a Sonik S3 Carp rod that I got from this site for a bargain http://www.used.forsale/fishing-poles the rod/pole is simply awesome, very strong and gets Carp in with ease but what kind of fish are common in NI??

What ponds or lakes would you guys recommend we go for a fish? Overnight camping and fishing is a bonus! This will be our first fishing trip so we are looking for an awesome experience and o be able to see a little of your beautiful country. All suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated!! Really looking forward to speaking with you guys and getting this fishing trip planned!

Thanks again

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017 by Jasonfresh »

torp

Re: Which ponds/lakes and what rods?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017 »

Hi and welcome,
 depending where and what you fish for will govern what permits etc you will need, please check the following link for details

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/outdoor-recreation-and-sport/angling

Jasonfresh

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017 »

Thank you for the link I will get on that straight away!

Back soon

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017 »

Sea fishing you'd get mackeral in season, fresh water trout, carp and pike and all in abundance depending on where you go.
There are loads of places to fish in Northern Ireland but spots where you can also camp are a bit harder to find, especially if you want to fresh water fish as opposed to sea.

Jasonfresh

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017 »

Hi and welcome,
 depending where and what you fish for will govern what permits etc you will need, please check the following link for details

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/outdoor-recreation-and-sport/angling

Really useful site and it's a good job we gave it a read first! We are now prepping everything we will be needing in terms of licenses, permits etc and I will get back to you guys when we have a plan.

Thanks a bunch guys 

john.t5

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017 »

Information on coarse fishing over here is not good at all, a totally untapped resource by the tourist board, if you read any of their literature , it is uninformned and at least 10 years old. In all honesty you may be better heading into Cavan or Monaghan where there is lots of info about lakes and rivers, species, methods, accesibility etc. Cavan is said to have 365 lakes, most have very good coarse fishing.

Some links below from our friend in the south who put a bit more effort into selling angling as they know the revenue that comes with it.

This site has an abundance of info: http://fishinginireland.info/news/

Also South Co. Monaghan these lakes appear to be well looked after, I fished there a long time ago when the not so welcome anglers were burning, littering and poaching but things look much better now: http://www.ballyhoelake.com/

In NI the River Bann at Toome and Portglenone used to be great for Bream but they all but disappeared maybe 8 years ago, I haven't fished it for a long time. There are also lakes and rivers in south Tyrone that have had plenty of bream and tench in them. Fishing in NI goes pretty much unregulated so it's hard to know what illegal methods have been used on these but there are plenty of stories about sacks full of bream being removed, long lines being found etc.

Good luck though, it is a great place and if you hit lucky you will tap into some great wild fish...

Jmcni

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018 »

Your carp rods will likely be to heavy for here, you are more than covered by a waggler or similar. With carp in ni think 2-15 lbs max, yes bigger have been caught but you'd need to be baiting a swim for a week or two in a handful of locations. Moorebrook lodge outside coleraine allow night fishing and camping and is also close to benone strand which can produce nicely too.

Lovely wild camping spots along Antrim coast I would recommend the hidden village just outside carnlough and using the boat that leaves from carnlough harbour, skippers a gentleman and one in a million for local knowledge, your right beside fare on point were you can hit polloack from the shore / rocks, other species are present but head out on the boat for a nice ling.

Carrickfergus is a trout Mecca with waters plentiful both public and private, camping isn't allowed in any of our forests but I know people who wild camp the forests in Carrickfergus every weekend.

Pm if u need info if u haven't already been !

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018 »

Hi Jason,
First off, I do not catch fish, I do not clean fish and I do not eat fish. I like my fish in aquarium. So I am hardly an expert. But my husband does love fishing and now my youngest does as well.

We are just back from Round lake. It is a very small lake... or a largish pond, but it does have quite a lot of fish. My son only caught roach but they did see a pike... who ate one of the smaller fish. The campsite is decent and cheap enough, 12.50 per site.

You need a license and permit for any freshwater fishing ,but you can get 3 days ones for about £10, two week ones for £20 for coarse and you can do it all online.

You can do beach fishing for free. There is a pier at Ballywalter my husband used to fish at and if you follow the road the spar in on about a Mike of two (sorry my directions are very bad) you will find a wee nature walk place with two little ponds. I would think you could get away throwing a tent down there for a night after fishing.

The Quoile river is meant to be very good for pike. I am trying to find a campsite near it now but no luck so far.

Finally Ballymoney is meant to have a lot of good fishing nearby. I think the campsite is a bit dear but Manor House hotel has a lovely bed and breakfast and very good prices, plus food to die for. Only down side is they tend to have noisy nightclub type thing on the weekend's and you can hear the music quite late... but then being young men you might like that kind of thing, music, drink and meet the locals. If it was for me, I would prefer to stay midweek.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018 »

We haven't been to this site, but a friend swears it is the nicest place on earth. Planning to try it this summer. Camping and fishing... and they have a hut with camp beds if you don't bring your own gear:

http://www.moorbrooklodge.co.uk/services-view/camping/

Also have noted many of the privately owned and stocked lakes allow camping as well. My husband claims it isn't real fishing as you are. Basically guaranteed a catch, but my son would enjoy it, and they look better than most camp grounds for camping.

Also my directions above, it should have been ballyhalbert not ballywalter. I should add most people following my directions get lost.  But the whole area is nice for beach fishing. He used to catch a lot of dog fish, even a big lobster once, but all catch and release. He did call and ask if he could bring the lobster home. I said only if he wanted to buy a saltwater aquarium.

Jmcni

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018 »

Moorebrook camping lodge isn't bells and whistles if your used to camping just camp, if you want some mod cons just bring an electric hook up, a tent I find is easier to heat than the cabin.

Be sure to phone in advance too and Pre arrange a price as the prices on the site are not what your charged !!!

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018 »

I think the but is more for people who don't have gear, or are travelling without it. Thanks for the heads up on the prices, that was the one thing putting me off, a bit dear for a family of four. All we want is a place to throw a tent away from the crowds, and a bit of fishing for the child.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]