Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mini-heatwave on its way as sunshine returns to Britain  (Read 5518 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/7798118/Mini-heatwave-on-its-way-as-sunshine-returns-to-Britain.html

Sunshine is expected across most of the country, bringing a blazing hot end to half-term holidays for millions.

Temperatures hit (73.4) 23C in the south and 68F (20C) in the north on Wednesday and will rise several degrees On Thursday and Friday, with 86F expected on Saturday and another hot day on Sunday.

Looks like it's going to be a cracker. Anyone doing anything fun?

ChuckMcB

Hope it's true....was getting depressed with my Google weather page saying "Chances of rain" all the way across it.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

Looks like it's going to be a cracker. Anyone doing anything fun?

Its Snow Patrol for me this sat. Anyone else heading down?

ChuckMcB

Gl at the marine fest. and Snow Patrol...I fancy a nice flat walk this weekend...going to do Murlough to Newcastle, lunch, then return...Seems to be the last part of the Newcastle Challenge Trail and Lecale Way (pdf):

Section 5 - Murlough to Newcastle 10km

From the Twelve Arches Car Park and Picnic Site, cross the main road into Murlough National Nature Reserve.

Note: Take great care crossing this busy main road. Once through the gates into Murlough, take left hand path. Carry along this path with the lovely Dundrum Inner Bay on your left. Turn right onto the main road up to Murlough House. Go through the white gate and then take the path off to the left, to follow the shoreline of the inner bay, passing the old boat house and slipways. Continue along the shoreline, along the channel between Dundrum Inner and Outer Bays and follow the wide sandy beach for about 5km, to reach Newcastle.

When you reach Newcastle,walk along the promenade, passing the Council car park on the right until reaching the Shimna River and Castle Bridge. Follow the path up onto the Main Street. Turn left until reaching the Newcastle Tourist Information Centre and the end of the Trail.

10k (6 miles) each way....don't tell the wife...her and the dog will be knackered (he goes mad around the surf)...but it will be good to be walking on the flat without a pack.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

Sounds great. I do the Holywood to Bangor and back with a Burger King treat inbetween. It's 17 miles or so and an occasional welcome change from bloody peaks ;)

Gl at the marine fest. and Snow Patrol...I fancy a nice flat walk this weekend...going to do Murlough to Newcastle, lunch, then return...Seems to be the last part of the Newcastle Challenge Trail and Lecale Way (pdf):

Section 5 - Murlough to Newcastle 10km

From the Twelve Arches Car Park and Picnic Site, cross the main road into Murlough National Nature Reserve.

Note: Take great care crossing this busy main road. Once through the gates into Murlough, take left hand path. Carry along this path with the lovely Dundrum Inner Bay on your left. Turn right onto the main road up to Murlough House. Go through the white gate and then take the path off to the left, to follow the shoreline of the inner bay, passing the old boat house and slipways. Continue along the shoreline, along the channel between Dundrum Inner and Outer Bays and follow the wide sandy beach for about 5km, to reach Newcastle.

When you reach Newcastle,walk along the promenade, passing the Council car park on the right until reaching the Shimna River and Castle Bridge. Follow the path up onto the Main Street. Turn left until reaching the Newcastle Tourist Information Centre and the end of the Trail.

10k (6 miles) each way....don't tell the wife...her and the dog will be knackered (he goes mad around the surf)...but it will be good to be walking on the flat without a pack.

ChuckMcB

Sounds great. I do the Holywood to Bangor and back with a Burger King treat inbetween. It's 17 miles or so and an occasional welcome change from bloody peaks ;)
If you like a bit of flat, have a try at a bit of the Lecale way between Killard (pdf - tip: don't follow the road, cut off along the coast towards Benderg Bay and on to Ballyhornan Bay) and Ardglass (pdf), starts out as flat beach (think Crawfordsburn beach), then ends up as seriously rocky coastal path (think mini-North Antrim Coast).

It's an excellent walk, a rough but well walked footpath all the way. Chips in Ardglass...then return (or get the bus back - 16f I think - is you are feeling a bit tender).

Also if you feel the need, there is a bar in Ballyhornan...never been in it, but a lack of flags outside mean it could be good for a quick pint)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010 by Chuck »

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog

Was down the Mournes on Thursday for one night and then back today. First time I've looked out the tent in the morn and actually been able to see further than 100m! Its also the first time I've got burnt out on the hills! You could heat a small bungalow with the back of my neck! Good times though.

ChuckMcB

Nice one...where did you overnight?

ChuckMcB

10k (6 miles) each way
10.1miles in total...we're all a wee bit broken at the moment even with the break for jumbo hot dogs and chips in Newcastle. Couldn't see anything, was a mad sea fog rolling in the whole time, visibility down to yards in places.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]