Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 5627 times)

Doonabel

• Newbie Poster
Hello
« on: February 21, 2018 »

Hi Everyone,

I have lived in the Mournes for 28 years having previously been a ‘townie’.  I was introduced to hiking in 2008 by my brother, an avid hiker, wild camper and geocacher long before it became fashionable.  He had always wanted to climb Ben Nevis and after a few glasses of wine, I agreed I would join him on this epic challenge, not realising what I was taking on.  Being a complete novice didn’t deter me, with the Mournes on my doorstep and plenty of mountains to ‘practice on’, in August 2009 we climbed Ben Nevis, there are only a few momentous occasions in my life, but that was definitely one of them.  From there on in I had caught the bug and with my once reluctant husband and our dogs, we often are seen hiking through the Mournes on a weekend.  I also like cycling, the leisurely, in the countryside type cycling, not the downhill, crashing into rocks and trees type cycling!  Would love to kayak more and camp out, if I can rope the family in.  I look forward to reading more blogs and maybe adding some of my own.  Thanks  ;)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018 »

Welcome to the forum  :)
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Heggs

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018 »

Welcome Doonabel! Hope you enjoy the forum  :)

Doonabel

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018 »

Thanks  :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018 »

Welcome and congrats on Ben Nevis, it's a great achievement! Camping in the Mournes is just going for a hike and not coming home until the next day 8) You can get geared up reasonably cheaply for summer camping and you can always have a try somewhere like Bloody Bridge Campsite or Meelmore Lodge where you can camp by the car and escape if you have to but still be in the Mournes and able to hike around. Once you have the comfy camping sorted you can strap your pack on your back and head off up Slieve Bearnagh for a night  ;D

Doonabel

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018 »

Thanks RedLeader, I have camped out 'in the wild' on two occasions although it must be 6/7 years ago on the last visit and once in Castlewellan, both different experiences but both great craic.  The one downside to wild camping is the midges, I can learn to live with them as part of the 'experience' but it was the deal breaker for my hubby lol, they feasted on him!  Apart from lighting a fire if you have any tips on conquering the beasties  :-[, it might persuade my family to give it another go.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018 »

Hi Doonabel, welcome to the forum.  The midges can really spoil things, my only solution to them is to avoid camping in the areas they are worst i.e. in the valley, near water. 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]