Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Ray Mears fan in court after bludgeoning pigeon to death  (Read 7440 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

I know it's the Daily Fail but it's still worth a read
Survival expert Ray Mears has shown millions of television viewers how to deal with life in the wilderness.

But it is unclear which particular episode inspired a teenage fan of bushcraft to batter a pigeon to death with a skateboard in a busy city centre.

Raphael Thomas, 19, hit the bird three times and wrung its neck in front of horrified shoppers.

He then placed the bird in his rucksack, which also contained one of Mr Mears's best-selling books, and told a shocked passer-by: 'I'm going to eat it.'

The witness called the police and then followed Thomas until officers arrived. Thomas told them: 'I killed the pigeon  -  it looked like a healthy one.'

This week a court heard that the teenager had been raised in rural parts of Wales and France, and was used to eating wild animals.

His friends had also told a shocked witness: 'He is going to eat it. Get over it.'
Thomas spent ten hours in police custody and admitted intentionally killing a wild bird  -  breaking the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232557/Ray-Mears-fan-bludgeons-pigeon-death-skateboard-busy-city-centre-home-eat.html

Paul

Maybe they should blame Tony hawk, after all the youth did use a skate board to kill the bird??  ;)

Hunter

• Top Poster

MORAN maybe sum1 should bludgeoning him with a sksteboard .
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

pablo

• Sr. Poster

actually id say the great god Mears had FUCK ALL to do with this ,but the news writers just couldnt resist vilifying someone with a reputation.the way it was written would indicate that the guy would never had done it if he hadnt watched one of the programmes or read his book.

fs if they wrote a story on me they could inferr i was a wise guy because i have the `sopranos`box set......

like Mark Twain wrote...you never really know how many lies the papers print untill they,ve written a story about YOU. personally i only use papers for my dogs to shit on at night.and they arnt even much good at that!

Hunter

• Top Poster

Here Here Pablo well said that man!!!!!!!!!!
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog

I like the way theres only one photo of the glue bag and then three of Ray Mears.

Paul

Me like the nerd i am noticed that as well, so i wrote off to the daily mail and complained. Bushcrafters get a bad enough rep over here by ignorant minded people without us being labeled with this as well!!

pablo

• Sr. Poster

lol typical newspaper behaviour. must have been a slow news day there without much to antagonise the readers with.

how much calmer would people feel if they didnt read newspapers for a week do you think?

what got me was the discussion at the bottom of the page too lol.should be labeled `fight starter`

they start up the unrest then leave people to go at it with each other,then they move onto the next story with no responsibility to start it all again with some other load of bollocks that has little to do with you or me.

these idiots have little to do with `news` more to do with creating unrest and `spin`.

thankfully when you know how they operate your not likely to become their effect.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog

True indeed, everyone has their own take on the story and their own agenda.

I think its bowling for colombine where Michael Moore points out the sensationalist American news coverage and all the negativity aired compared to what was being broadcasted in Canada. Obviously this was having an effect on the populace.
Surely older peeps out there can see a major shift in the stories that make it to the airwaves these days, however maybe that has something to with greater lack of censorship.

Bad news sells and gets the ratings, "carry on jogging its all good" doesn't grab your attention as much as "the world is going to end before you finish reading this sentence"

I can't bear to read the mail anymore as its just so sensationalist about everything, the only thing of any worth is the games section.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure

I cant see anything wrong  ???
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement

I'm glad I'm not the only one. 
Pigeons are considered to be a pest, but if you kill one you get thrown in jail?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he upset the children.  I bet these same children think milk comes from tescos, eggs come from Kraft and the chicken we eat isn't really the same thing as those cute clucky feathered things in their story books.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure

I'm glad I'm not the only one. 
Pigeons are considered to be a pest, but if you kill one you get thrown in jail?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he upset the children.  I bet these same children think milk comes from tescos, eggs come from Kraft and the chicken we eat isn't really the same thing as those cute clucky feathered things in their story books.

Lmao  drybay good point.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]