Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Slings  (Read 3869 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Slings
« on: January 10, 2012 »

Frequently in conversations regarding scrambling the topic of a sling will raise it's head e.g. using a sling on a difficult section.  I'm not entirely sure what a sling is never mind what type of assistance it can offer.

In my perhaps incorrect understanding a sling is a looped piece of rope, sometimes knotted in the middle to create two loops.  I can see how it could link some sort of anchor to someone who was belaying a climber who was abseiling like so:

Anchor>Sling>belayer.

How would you use it to help with scrambling?  Does it attach to the rock or is it simply something to thow one end of to someone below who has nothing to hold onto.

I've probably said more than I should have, showing my ignorance, perhaps asking "what is a sling and what is it for?" would have been better.

Any helpers?
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: Slings
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012 »

When scramberling or climber there normally two people a leader and a second. When leader starts the accent he will take rope up with him. And at different points whilst climbing he must put up protection so if he falls he will not fall very far.

There are different types of protection. There slings which are loops of nylon webbing. Nuts and hexes which are metal on a sling or on wire. Then there are cams which are mechanical jamming devices.

So when the leader comes to a point he will put some protection into the wall or if there is a flake or bolder he could put a sling over it do he can clip the rope into it.
No one goes inside to clear their head

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012 »

Cheers Lenny.  That helps put it in context for me.  I just so happened to be in the library tonight and there was an "all you need to know about climbing" book, or something like that, so I brought it home. 
Found something on the net also about using slings and harnesses during a scramble if for instance there was one or two difficult very short sections.  The only bother being trying to get the cams out as you move up through the section. 

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012 »

Yeah, they are handy on ridge scrambles as there are often jagged bits to throw them over for quick protection, although you can also just loop the rope around features too. Allows you to move together quickly on ground that needs protection but isn't overly technical (like pitched climbing). Keep slack out of the rope by maintaining similar pace, keep one or two points of protection between you... leader places, second collects on way past. We practiced this in the alps, using the odd cam or ice-screw.

Even just handy on a steep scramble if you want to secure yourself to rest or free your hands to eat or tend to kit, or if pitched climbing can extend other bits of gear so the rope runs straighter. A 240cm and a few 120cm are usual alpine requirements.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012 »

Cheers for the info twenty. :)

Bottom Sponsor