Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Seven Sevens cancelled  (Read 5830 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Seven Sevens cancelled
« on: April 02, 2018 »

Seven Sevens off this year

The Mourne Seven Sevens challenge walk planned for the 4th August 2018 has had to be cancelled.
The main reason for this decision is the unavailability of certain key people necessary for the safe running of the event. Please remember that the whole event relies on volunteer effort.
In the twenty five years since we came up with the idea of linking the seven high tops of the Mournes as a manageable challenge for determined hill walkers,  the Spartan Red Sox walking club and myself have thoroughly enjoyed  providing this big day out for so many people.
 I would like to thank all of the club members who have contributed their efforts over the years.  The fact that lots of money has been raised for charities has been a fantastic bonus.
Jim Brown, Event Organiser
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Heggs

Re: Seven Sevens cancelled
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018 »

I read that yesterday, bummer. Not that I thought I would've been able to do it but I wanted to at least give it a go lol.
Might do one myself and split it over 2 days, have a wee camp in between.

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018 »

I read that yesterday, bummer. Not that I thought I would've been able to do it but I wanted to at least give it a go lol.
Might do one myself and split it over 2 days, have a wee camp in between.

I remember us talking about it at the Christmas camp last year. I done it in 2016 and was hoping to get back at this year and was very disappointed to read this myself.
I would be well up for a two day go at it with a camp if you are looking company and if anyone else wants to do it.
I am doing the Mourne Wall with a group at the end of May over two days so it would be good to do the sevens the same way at some point in the summer after that.

Heggs

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018 »

Yeah, sounds good to me Sean. Whenever you know a few dates that suit, let me know and we can work something out

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018 »

Possibly mid to late August?

If we look at the weather forecast now we can pick a weekend that is good  ;D

Heggs

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018 »

Hahaha  ;D
Yeah, I'm off on the 27th of August for the bank holiday so possibly that weekend?

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018 »

My wife doesn't have anything on our shared Google calendar for that weekend and I should also be off the Monday so at this stage I would say yes, sounds good. I have pencilled it in.

Bit early to be talking about the actual plan but I would maybe prefer to go at it possibly from Happy Valley instead of Donard Park where the official challenge goes from.

Mainly because I absolutely despise Donard Forest and also it means we could get the bog between Meelbeg and Ben Crom out of the way early on the first day because it is also totally hateful.

Heggs

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018 »

No problem, I'll pencil it in too and we can arrange closer to the time like you said.
Cheers

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]