Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Lightweight tent and Ultralight Stove  (Read 6987 times)

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
Lightweight tent and Ultralight Stove
« on: November 12, 2010 »

I thought you guys might be interested in a bit of info that was in my Camping Mag, about lightweight gear. The tent featured is a Robens Trailstar which 'proves the manufacturer can break the sub - £100 price for a good backpacking tent.' The design is similar to that of the Hilleberg Akto. It is billed as a 2 man tent but apparently space would be tight.  
http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/1_to_2_Berth_Tent_Robens_Trailstar_2_Tent__2010_.html £84.99

Then, a Japanese Ultralight Titanium Alcohol Stove - 'quite possibly the lightest stove on the planet....weighing a mere 34g. This 70ml Meths burner is capable of replacing a Trangia burner, but for best results should be used with the separate Evernew Titanium DX Stand which increases efficiency and reduces burn time. The meths burns for around 15 minutes - enough for a meal and a brew'

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product493.asp £34.99

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010 by Victoriamcc »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Lightweight tent and Ultralight Stove
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010 »

Must... Resist.... Titanium.....

I love all titanium stuff but apart from one cup, I can't justify the cost for anything else. I do like meths stoves though, I think they're the best mix of price/weight/efficiency.

For the tent, all 2 man backpacking tents require a degree of friendliness between the users :) Did they say how they thought it performed? It looks suspiciously like a Vango Banshee 200 which would be slightly cheaper but only 2kg.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010 »

Must... Resist.... Titanium.....

Recycled aluminium man... its the future ;)

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product230.asp?PageID=99

And now that I've had a chance to play with a "real" one I feel ready to make my own - http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=897.0

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010 »

Would you be tempted by a Caldera Cone.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010 »

As a car camper I'm always looking for compact things even if lightness isn't the issue for me, packing space is always tight when family camping as I like to get everything into my hatchback without going down the roofbox route or getting a tow bar fitted to tow a trailer. So I do like the look of that Caldera Cone system - I'm away to find out more about it.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010 »

how about this?

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-features/the-squeezebox-files/5644.html

Thats a very interesting idea, enjoyed reading through the whole design/prototyping process!  Wonder why he didnt go down the patent route in the end?  If they can sell a Caldera Cone for £30 I'd like to think people would pay for the Squeezebox stove as well... mind you there is clearly a lot more to stove design than I would have imagined!

The Caldera Cone is one I've looked at and been rather tempted by.  It's probably the ultimate meths burning system; efficient, light, strong and stable.  Only reason I havent bought one is because you have to buy one for your specific pot.  I still haven't really found a single pot that I reckon I could use for everything.  The MSR Titan Kettle looks hard to beat, but the Evernew Solo Cookset with the 750ml titanium pot and 400ml mug looks like a really good set.  Its quite expensive for a purchase, but given the quality and potential lifespan it might be the only set you'd ever need.  I think Chris Townsend has had his Evernew titanium pan for 18 years!  So if I end up with the Evernew Solo set then I will probably give the Caldera Cone a try.  Jetboil for gas, Cone for meths... simples ;D   

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]