Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Ben Nevis via CMD arete: May 21, 2010 - May 23, 2010
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Ben Nevis via CMD arete 21-23 May 2010  (Read 94415 times)

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Ben Nevis via CMD arete
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010 »

What month suits most people for this trip we should try and get it arranged and booked asap.
Was also thinking, not everyone has to go via the CMD a group could take the tourist path or tackle another hill. What do you s think?
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010 »

Sometime in May maybe, what do rest of u guys think

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010 »

Sometime in May maybe, what do rest of u guys think

Sounds ok . I think we should maybe try to arrange an informal meet to discuss the logistics etc as to try and organise as a group on the forum could be difficult. If there were enough we could rent a mini bus and go as one as was mentioned on a previous thread. Are we considering say going on a Friday then home on a Sunday or something longer?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 by billy backpack »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010 »

Would it be cheaper to all book on the ferry as foot passangers and pick a mini bus up at the other side or just take a mini bus from here?

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010 »

I'm unlikely to be going on this with you (unless I get round to doing the WHW this year and it just happens to be the same weekend that I get to Fort Bill), but depending on how many people go check out the ferry-and-rail deals and the ferry-and-bus too - it used to be that you could get to Fort William pretty cheap that way.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010 »

depending on price it might be cheaper to fly! could be a fun exercise in lightweight camping getting your gear into a hand lugage sized ruck!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010 »

depending on price it might be cheaper to fly! could be a fun exercise in lightweight camping getting your gear into a hand lugage sized ruck!

You'd need to set aside a few hours to get through security - between the gas cannisters and assortment of sporks you'll all look like international terrorists :D

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010 »

good point. You'd def have to pick your gas up at the other end.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010 »

but depending on how many people go check out the ferry-and-rail deals and the ferry-and-bus too - it used to be that you could get to Fort William pretty cheap that way

The Ferry & Bus deals seem to be about the cheapest way of travelling, and its dead easy to book through the Stena Line website.  Only downside is that it takes a crazy amount of time to get from Belfast - Fort Bill when you factor in the ferry and bus journey.  That said, I'm someone who quite likes travelling by bus/rail so dont mind watching the scenery passing me by :)  I priced a few different options for doing the WHW, and I'm going to get the Ferry/Bus from Belfast to Glasgow to get to the start, then Bus/Ferry from Fort Bill back to Belfast at the end.  Think it works out around £40-50 and no restrictions on luggage etc. so its hard to beat IMO.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010 »

but depending on how many people go check out the ferry-and-rail deals and the ferry-and-bus too - it used to be that you could get to Fort William pretty cheap that way

The Ferry & Bus deals seem to be about the cheapest way of travelling, and its dead easy to book through the Stena Line website.  Only downside is that it takes a crazy amount of time to get from Belfast - Fort Bill when you factor in the ferry and bus journey.  That said, I'm someone who quite likes travelling by bus/rail so dont mind watching the scenery passing me by :)  I priced a few different options for doing the WHW, and I'm going to get the Ferry/Bus from Belfast to Glasgow to get to the start, then Bus/Ferry from Fort Bill back to Belfast at the end.  Think it works out around £40-50 and no restrictions on luggage etc. so its hard to beat IMO.

But them your fate is totally in the hands of public transport. I like the idea of hiring a mini bus at our end.....depending on numbers I really don't think it will cost that much.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010 by 666_pack »
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010 »

I agree with 666, don't like the idea of being reliant on public transport. If there is enough people wanting to go then mini bus would work out cheap as any with the advantage of us being able to come and go as we please.

On a side note I have mini bus licence through work so we have a driver for said bus if needed

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010 »

But them your fate is totally in the hands of public transport. I like the idea of hiring a mini bus at our end.....depending on numbers I really don't think it will cost that much.

You have a fair point there :)  Well if there was enough people to fill a mini-bus its bound to be a cheaper option any way?  After all, if 10 people were going to take public transport that would be around £400 any way.  More than enough I'm sure for mini-bus hire, ferry tickets and fuel?  And as Neil says you then have the flexibility to travel to your own schedule.

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010 »

You can pick up a 12/15 seater transit minibus at prestwick airport (10mins from troon) for £285 and the ferry from larne is £48 each rtn as a foot passenger. Do the maths it would be cheap as feck :)
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010 »

At those prices there should be no shortage of peeps for this trip then  :D

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010 »

You can pick up a 12/15 seater transit minibus at prestwick airport (10mins from troon) for £285 and the ferry from larne is £48 each rtn as a foot passenger. Do the maths it would be cheap as feck :)

Just ran the prices through both P&O and Stena there out of interest.  If you went for a weekend in May it would work out as follows:

P&O Larne to Troon return
8ppl & minibus - £468
8ppl foot - £432

Stena Line Belfast to Stranraer return
8ppl & minibus £458
8ppl foot - £400

So looks like it would definately be cheaper to go on foot and rent in Scotland.  Mind you, for the convenience of not having to get a vehicle on the other side it only works out at £7.25 extra each.

No idea why I'm even pricing this though, I wouldnt be able to go in May :P  Am dying to do the CMD but dont know if it will be this year...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]