Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Walking / Hiking - Boots / shoes  (Read 14849 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Walking / Hiking - Boots / shoes
« on: June 04, 2009 »

I'm walking in a pair of boots I got from the seconds shop in Portstewart and alothough they're fairly comfy, I don't think they are doing my feet any favours so I'd like a new pair. I'd rather have boots than shoes because they cope better with boggy conditions but I'm easy if there is a solid reason for sticking with shoes. I don't really want to spend more than £50 if possible - anyone any suggestions?

666_pack

• Hero Poster
Re: Walking / Hiking - Boots / shoes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009 »

Hi Jonno,
Makro have a great selection of hiking/outdoorsy stuff.
I got a great pair of Hi-Tec walking boots, great ankle support, breathable membrane and fit like a glove all for £29.99

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009 »

Hi Jonno,
Makro have a great selection of hiking/outdoorsy stuff.
I got a great pair of Hi-Tec walking boots, great ankle support, breathable membrane and fit like a glove all for £29.99

Unfortunately I dont have a Makro card, but I did buy the wife a pair of Hitech boots from an outdoors shop in Newcastle although she's not used them yet. I just assumed that they were low quality or wouldn't provide good support or underfoot padding? Right in my price range though - I hate buying expensive footwear; don't know why..

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009 »

I think that people sometimes go a lable crazy.  I Know what you mean it does not matter the cost of the boot I must walk funny or something cos I usually only get a year outta them. Yeah Hi-tec boots were a plesent surprise.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009 »

Bear gryills shoes £50 the best ive had.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009 »

jonno get yourself down to an army surplus store and pick up a pair of issue boots, then spend the rest of the money on the best insoles you can buy! I used issue boots for years then for somereason I bouht a cheap pair from tk maxx and regreted it so much they lasted maybe 5 trips before I could feel every stone! Trust me its the way forward!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009 »

Like anything it depends what you are going to be using them for. ???  Hitecs are plenty good, just don't believe the hype about that nano-tec waterproofing technology, total blox

After wearing inov-8s for orienteering I'm a total convert to walking in trail shoes, and used a mixture of whatever ones I could get cheap off ebay for the ulster way. Super light, great grip, comfy as trainers, they even look pretty nice :D (obviously not really the issue.) The grip is really the issue for me as you can attack hills with far more confidence (going up and down) and it is something you really miss when not wearing them, and usually end up sliding on your arse instead. The only issue I have with them is endurance, I got 300miles out of a brand new Inov-8 295's which I was a bit dissapointed with, but they did deal with atleast 150 miles of tarmac in that, and tarmac eats your soles something rotten  :(

For the money issue boots are probably the best value, used them for plenty of years, hardwearing multi functional boot, a bit tough to begin with though; make sure you get them well softened and walked in before tackling big distances,  or you're feet will suffer. Polish/wax them and they'll stay pretty waterproof, and will dry out while you wear them if they get a chance.

No matter what you go for, I'd go for something without a membrane (gore-tex/eVent) as all its going to do is make your feet sweat, and keep the water in your shoes when they get soaked, which they will. A pair of goretex socks is a far better investment in my eyes, allowing you to only wear them when you want (less sweating on good days), probably get cheaper shoes/boots, put them in whatever footwear you want, allow your footwear to dry out far quicker than if its sewn into the shoe.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009 »

some sound advice there :)

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009 »

I got a nice pair of brasher boots thru work for free!! they do the job well, in saying that i got a paramo fleece and paramo jacket thru work also

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009 »

I want your job! what is it? professional theif! ;)

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009 »

I'm currently in a pair of Scarpa ZG 65 cannot really fault them so far and they have taken some good soakings although I am considering a pair of Merrell Chameleons but having given my ankles a good sprain now a again I'm a wee bit apprehensive about the lack of support compared to boots.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009 by billy backpack »

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009 »

I had a pair of army Pro boots for bout 8 years great boots the best i ever had bit pricey £130 when i got them.
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009 »

I really cant vouch for boots as i have never had a pair........but I will second inov-8's and a pair of the raidlight gaiters combo. so much more grip with them and as for going over on your ankles well you do know the only way they are gonna get stronger is by supporting themselves, and strengthening........

I also think a good pair of smart wool socks are great for long distance untill your feet get used to wet conditions, then you can move on to as thin a pair as you can find as they will dry out much faster than thick socks........!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009 »

I really cant vouch for boots as i have never had a pair........but I will second inov-8's and a pair of the raidlight gaiters combo. so much more grip with them and as for going over on your ankles well you do know the only way they are gonna get stronger is by supporting themselves, and strengthening........

Are they just a lycra type material to keep all the seeds/dirt/grass out of your shoes? I've got a pair of IntegralDesins mini gaiters made of eVent which I use to keep all the crap out of my shoes, also help keep the water out when wearing g-tex socks

Going back to the trail shoes, personally I'd now rather have the footsure gripyness of the inov8s than the ankle support of boots, I just don't find the lack of support an issue, when you're travelling light I don't think ankle support is just as important, compared to when carrying 20kilos on your back.

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009 »

Going back to the trail shoes, personally I'd now rather have the footsure gripyness of the inov8s than the ankle support of boots, I just don't find the lack of support an issue, when you're travelling light I don't think ankle support is just as important, compared to when carrying 20kilos on your back.
[/quote]

Also dont you think that half the strains on ankles is due to feet sliding about due to lack of grip? I also just think by lifting them in the shop that the weight of them on your legs must be so tireing........and i dont think i have ever had a 20k pack on I would prob be flat on my back like some sore of demented turtle............!!!!!lol

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]