Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Quick overnighter  (Read 6248 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Quick overnighter
« on: August 06, 2013 »

Been looking a lot lately at the kit I take out with me and how it can be cut back (mainly by not taking so much crap and the sink). With this in mind I wanted to see how little I could take and still be happy and comfy.

To start with the main issue is taking things that just don't get used, most of us have done it at least once in the past you go out for a night or weekend and come back with at least a couple of dry bags that never even got opened. Sure it's fine carrying a good first aid kit (we hope that never gets opened), but you have to think sometimes "why the arse do I have a spare jumper etc".

So wanting a quick test of this idea I set off yesterday around 5pm to Binevenagh, i've been there a number of times before and has a few advantages. You have a good trail all through it so can access anywhere quickly, safe parking at the church near the bottom of the mountain, and plenty of fast streams. All in all it's makes a great small spot to either just bugger off for a night with the aid of knowing should anything happen you will be no more than an hour from the car etc. Ideal for me since if this all went horribly wrong a night with the seat pushed back would be in order.

So got everything all listed and packed and total weight came to around 15kg (was using some dodgy cheap luggage scales so allow a kilo or two either way). Now this included all my kit, my food, the dogs food, a steel ground anchor for the dog, and 3lt of water. So at least a third of the weight was really none essentials as I knew where safe water could be found prior to going.

Arrived opened the boot and tada I forgot my walking poles...... this kinda stumps my quick tarp shelter method but good job I had a saw and knife as I could see myself having to make some stakes up. Turns out an old spot I set up two years ago is totally untouched, I made a frame for a shelter and to be honest it has a Blair witch look from the path so perhaps it spooked the locals to stay away (must make a wicker doll or something to add authenticity one day).

Then from halfway in it starts to loom at you, considering the age though it still stood just fine, the ivy rope was even still in place although dry and brittle so must redo them too some day. Saved me a job of making poles anyway.

So a quick throw of the tarp and line out the corners and camp was done and comfy in under 20 mins.

It is a high roof I admit but the tree cover means that short of a winter storm there was no way any possible rain was coming near me with this. Although I may chop the back poles down a little in future just to give a little more wind protection for winter.

Got everything unpacked and sorted and you can see it works out as a roomy spot for one or possible snug for two.

Here you can see that everything went into a 25l pack (soon to be replaced as it is beginning to fall apart), a maxpedition proteus bag, and two maxp fatty pouches. Total capacity could be much more than 30l.

At this point I was reminded that this is flying thing central, lucky for me I found an old hobo stove I brought last time was also still in place hanging on one of the poles, and remembered they don't like smoke. I had dry wood and more damp leaves than could be counted and a plan was hatched.

Now we're cooking.

It's a basic principle, get yourself a bunch of small dry as bone sticks. Then get a tiny fire going but make sure it burns very fast and very hot so you have super hot embers. Finally throw on big handfuls of semi damp stuff, I had leaves aplenty so used them. This smokes like mad and drives out the whizzy things. As long as you had a hot enough fire to start it will smolder like this for a good hour or so, combined with a pitched roof and the smoke flows around you and your gear for ages. Plus it also smokes cold so you don't get that burnt eye feeling everyone has suffered from a badly made camp fire.

Early morning tea and breakfast on the go.

Then camp all packed and done ready for home.

All in all it was a good test and worked very well, with few issues other than a simple lack of specific kit I haven't yet got the cash to afford so had to make do. But I never felt myself wishing I had this or that with me, plus on both inward and outbound hike I was able to really push a good speed including running for a few sections and felt no real problems. You probably noticed the footwear, this was also a test to see if monster boots are really needed. I have been moving my life in a minimal footwear direction and wanted to see if a good set of minimalist shoes could work.

To be honest I don't think it would of worked with my old kit as the weight was too much. But I hardly felt this load as such didn't have any fear of twisted ankles etc, plus had the confidence that even if this were deep boggy ground at camp I had footwear that would be bone dry before the morning, a spare set of lightweight socks too meant no matter what I would be sure to set out again the next day with dry feet.

Overall it was a total success for me and I am fairly certain that apart from mid winter I can now happily go just about anywhere in this country for anywhere up to 4-5 days with no more than 20-25kg, it's a definite load off both physically and mentally. So next time your getting the old moan of "do you really need to buy more kit" stop and think it through as often we don't. Of course this doesn't mean we don't spend money on gear, just now we don't need lots means the savings go on extra shiny expensive gear. 8)

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
Re: Quick overnighter
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013 »

Since I posted a bloody essay I figured a second post was in order, here is a kit breakdown just for those interested.

Sleeping gear:

Cheap 1 season sleeping bag (I want to get a good down bag that should be about the same size/weight but will happily suit me all year round)
Gelert 3/4 mattress (like this a lot as you really don't sacrifice any comfort on the space savings, plus it's not a nasty foam thing)
DD 3x3 Tarp (I just don't like tents unless absolutely essential, they leave you cut off from the outdoors and do bugger all for keeping warm anyway. Also open fires tend to not mix well.)
Orange survival bag bivvy/sheet (Don't yet have the spare cash for a decent bivvy but aiming for the alpkit hunka XL, for now at the price these do the job fine.)
Full thermals (I realised that a liner silk/fleece etc is only ever a liner. By using thermals you get the same effect with an item that has more uses. To be honest silk liners do naff all for heat so the little extra space isn't an issue. Also they don't bunch up like liners, although I intend to swap these for a set of technical warming compression base layers.)

Clothing:

Regatta softshell fleece (while this was only £30 it works great, I can only guess how well the ultra lightweight top end stuff works.)
Spare socks (these were again technical sport socks, pads for blisters and quick sweat removal.)
Waterproof jacket (was just a lightweight pack away regatta, if it's a monsoon you will never stay dry so better to not bother trying, it's just for showers.)
Wool hat & neoprene gloves (Just easy to carry as possible warm gear if needed)
Worn clothes, technical sports vest, wicking t-shirt, compression shorts, walking trousers, technical sport socks, minimalist shoes. (The philosophy in all this is getting sweat away asap, and everything drying asap. If your dry your warm, plus with the soft shell & wooly hat you have the capacity to deal with anything down to around 1-2C with comfort, if your moving you will then stay warm anyway so unless it drops below zero just move faster stay warm and you should be fine for issues like hypothermia.)

Hygiene:

Medium towel (soon to be swapped for silly light microfiber thingy.)
Soap in tights (odd sounding yes, but it lets you hang it on trees, tie it to you hand etc so you don't loose it. Plus it tend to lather up better and act more like a soapy sponge)
Toothbrush & small tub paste
Talc (often underestimated but for me an absolute essential.)
Thats really all a wash kit needs for up to a week, if your outdoors who cares about shaving etc as long as you are clean.

Cooking:
Cheap knock off Trangia (wasn't chuffed about the full version price so went for this and it's fine, contains two good size bowls, and a frying pan, packs nicely into one unit. I do also take a crusader mug as it's handy)
Meths bottle (amount is dictated by requirements.)

For everything else the belt kit is used. My medical kit fits happily into one fatty pouch, it is nothing major but then it is only meant to be a first aid kit for one person or two if really pushed. I never see the point in much else as if first aid can't fix your problem then you need professionals. The second fatty pouch is my all round kit, has bushcraft stuff, survivalish stuff, fire gear etc. Again though it only has things that get used, I don't see the point in taking a fire steel, flint & steel, bow drill etc etc unless you are specifically going out to practice fire skills, same applies with other bits in this kit. Finally the proteus bag has all my food as I premake all meals then dehydrate then, zip bag and your sorted, my thinking is if you can't find enough water to make these foods then food really isn't your #1 problem. Also it has all my electricals (headtorch & batteries, battery pack for phone & tablet), then binos, medical handbook, and tablet (sounds odd but many folks take a book and all my books are now digital so this is my book.)

The only other things I have then is a belt map case & compass bits holder, phone clip & phone, knife, folding saw, machette (if I know I will be doing any heavy work with wood), a tiny folding shovel, and walking poles. Most of this stuff I try to think about dual uses as it help cut space and weight down, plus generally even if you carried two items in your pack if you lost your pack they both go anyway.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013 »

Nice write up Rich, I think I remember you had a post up before showing the same campsite.
I was up there a couple of years ago and thought it would be cool to have a wee camp on the mountain top.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013 »

Rich i have 2 x army gor-tex bivi bags i dont use olive drab, u can have a loan of 1 if u want until u get urself one.

Hunter
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013 »

Rich i have 2 x army gor-tex bivi bags i dont use olive drab, u can have a loan of 1 if u want until u get urself one.

Hunter

Cheers for the offer sounds good to me, can you pm me your contact details and we can sort something out.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013 »

I love your posts Rich, keep tham coming many thanks Dave
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]