Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new waterproof jacket  (Read 14647 times)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: new waterproof jacket
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010 »

I got this:

http://www.mandmdirect.com/products-Berghaus-Mens-Gore-Tex-Paclite-Jacket-Graphite_BE426.htm

Berghaus Paclite Goretex for £80 odd delivered. I've tried a few different breatheable fabrics (like Hyvent from TNF) and didn't think much of them so I finally went Goretex. Will hopefully get a wet walk in it this Sat to test it. (Its the same jacket as Andys).

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010 »

Have you looked on needle sports? I find it pretty reasonable price wise, got some climbing stuff of there.
They have a few waterproofs in that price range and this wich might be up your alley

http://www.needlesports.com/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fneedlesports.com%2facatalog%2f&WD=precip&PN=Mail_Order_Waterproofs_59.html%23aMAR_20PCJ#aMAR_20PCJ

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010 »

Go to Lindsays in Coleraine and ask for advice.  They'll often suggest something you wouldn't have thought of that turns out to be really really good.  They also sell stuff that's a season or two out of date (Ooh, it's Green- I can't buy that in green - this season thay're all purple!)  for ridiculous prices.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010 »

The precip ain't a bad choice, have seen pretty good reviews for it, have also seen them new for around 30 quid on ebay which is a very good price.

When I get round to replacing my pretty dead paclite, which is more of a shower proof than waterproof these days, I'll probably be doing it with a marmot precip or possibly a haglofs jkt if the price is right.

I would have thought you could do better than 90 quid for a lightweight waterproof with all the sales that are on??

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010 »

Backpackinglight.co.uk do the Montane Venture jacket.  If I get a jacket again it will most likely be the Venture.  BPL have it at a good price, and I remember when I enquired about it Bob recommended to go a size bigger as they are quite a small fit.  As it happened I was in a local store that stocked them and thought would try one on, indeed it did take a size bigger.  The only thing that put me off slightly were the zips.  Seemed rather flimsy to me, but in use they are probably fine.

One jacket I wont be getting again is a North Face.  I had originally bought a Paclite TNF jacket from Tiso and it wetted out from the day I bought it.  Eventually got it returned to TNF through Tiso and replaced as the DWR was faulty.  Now the TNF jacket I replaced it with (think its called the All Terrain) is starting to wear out.  All around the cuffs the outer material is wearing through, and I have a rip in the material on the sleeve.  Now its perfectly possible that the rip was caused by me snagging it on something, although I certainly cant remember anything.  The wear on the cuffs is strange though, I do wear the jacket a lot but at the end of the day its barely a year old and the material is already wearing thin.  Compare that to my girlfriends Berghaus which is something like 8 years old and still going strong...  For High Street fashion the TNF jackets definitely look the part, but I personally couldnt recommend one for the hills :) 

Oh, the other jacket I was quite impressed with was the Mountain Equipment Morpheus.  Slightly lighter than the Venture, 3 layer Gore-tex and its probably got one of the best hoods I've ever stuck my head in!  Fair bit more expensive than the Montane though...

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010 »

I Have this RAB Coat:-

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/rab_event_latok_alpine_jacket.html

really lightweight, but expensive

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010 »

TNF stuff used to be good. Now I'm not so sure that the quality from years ago is there. I have a TNF Paclite jacket and Berghaus trousers which, while probably the most breathable Goretex I've used, still can't cope with strenuous activity. Add a good dose of mud and wear and you may as well be in a bin bag. I have heard great reports about E-vent apparently blowing GoreTex out of the water. The Paramo stuff is reported to be good as well.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010 »

The Paramo gear gets a great reputation, excellent breathability and will last ages.  The only thing that put me off was the fact that it is meant to be a good bit warmer than your average Gore/eVent jacket and can be a bit warm for the summer months.  Suppose it depends whether you are generally a hot or cold person though!

Lindsays that DryBag mentions stock Paramo gear.  They were very helpful last time I called in and the place is like Aladdins cave.  Wrong end of the country for me to make regular visits though!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010 »

Paramo is a whole layering system designed to be worn together however I can't vouch for it either way.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010 »

cheers guy for all the input. Looks like i'll have to have a think but about it but am really torn between the venture and now superfly. It's now do to which one I can get at the bet price. ???
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010 »

The montane jackets have a good rep so prob a good choice there.

Craghoppers have a pretty major sale going on at the minute and it might be worth having a look there before committing, £55 for a paclite jacket and £30 quid for a decent down vest is nearly impossible to beat. I would definitely advise the purchase of a down vest if they are the right size, one of the best investments for warmth for its weight volume, just don't let it get wet!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010 »

Craghoppers have a pretty major sale going on at the minute and it might be worth having a look there before committing, £55 for a paclite jacket and £30 quid for a decent down vest is nearly impossible to beat.

Do Craghoppers have an online store with a sale at the moment?  I've been on the look out for a down vest and some waterproof leggings so might check that out myself.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010 »

Down Bodywarmer @ £30 was here but they seem to be out of stock. Might be other bargains to be had though.
http://www.craghoppers.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_13552_-1__107286_11051_

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010 »

Craghoppers do have a website - I can't access it from work but it's probably www.craghoppers.co.uk.  The sale prices are good, and if you hunt around you can always get a further 15-30% off with a voucher code.  Having said that, Lindsays (I know I sound like a broken record!) do some craghoppers stuff even cheaper than sale prices.

Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]