Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: question about gas  (Read 15584 times)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
question about gas
« on: October 22, 2009 »

just a quick question about the weight is a gas canister? What is it?
The reason I as is that I'm thinking of sorting myself out with a lightweight gas cook system for the winter overnighters as there is no way in hell I'd chance cooking in my porch with my trangia...........

Many thanks in advance

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: question about gas
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009 »

They come in 50g, 100g, 200g and bigger. The real question is how long per g will it burn for or how much will you need per day.. Should add, I was considering going meths since you were such a big fan.. Are you switching to the dark side now?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009 »

it depends on size mate, you can get little midget ones that weigh next to nothing, i've a full one here so i'll weigh it later and let you know. At the min i'm using an msr pocket rocket and titan kettle with a tiny cart. the cart and the stove fit inside the pot with plenty of room for firesteel, tea bags, etc i'm pretty chuffed with how it perfroms gonna look into making a pot cozy tonight.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009 »

that weighs in at just over 13Oz

The titan kettle is 4Oz
The pocket rocket is 3Oz
and the midget cart is 6Oz

You get a fair bit of usage out of the small cartridge too, I've still got the one i used on the mmm used it for two sets of pasta n sauce, cups of tea and porridge the next morning as well as three or four meals and sets of tea when i'm out climbing and its still got more life in it yet!
Go for a pocket rocket and tiatn kettle and you'll definitley be cooking with gas!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009 »

They come in 50g, 100g, 200g and bigger. The real question is how long per g will it burn for or how much will you need per day.. Should add, I was considering going meths since you were such a big fan.. Are you switching to the dark side now?

no no it's still meths for me but I just wanna have a back up system. I wanna get some muti day winter hikes under my belt and as I said lighting a trangia in a porch tent is not my idea of fun ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009 »

no no it's still meths for me but I just wanna have a back up system. I wanna get some muti day winter hikes under my belt and as I said lighting a trangia in a porch tent is not my idea of fun ;D

I don't even have a porch!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009 »

if i tried to light the trani i'd have no porch, no tent, no face, :-X ;D

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009 »

Remember to keep your gas cartridge warm. Gas doesn't seem to like the cold weather.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009 »

If I was buying into gas, and didn't have a stove/cookset I'd buy the Eta express, 50 quid here (http://www.ultimateadventurehardware.co.uk/item/Brand_Primus-EtaExpress-auto-set_92_0_290_0.html)  Think its a great bit of kit, and everything can be used individually if needs be.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009 »

The Eta Express is definitely what I would buy next. It seems the best all rounder.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009 »

I was going to go for a pocket rocket and one of these

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16256&category_id=283
as all I need it for is to boil water.

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009 »

The pocket rocket and alpkit titanium pot have been my choice for quite a while now, a brilliant light combination for water boiling.  The only addition is an MSR foil windshield.  Although a windshield and a screw on gas cooker are a very dangerous combination and not advisable to use.  For longer trips I have just got myself a primus gravity (http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3335).  This means I can use the windshield in windy conditions worry free.  I have not tested it extensively but hope to next week.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009 »

The pocket rocket and alpkit titanium pot have been my choice for quite a while now, a brilliant light combination for water boiling.  The only addition is an MSR foil windshield.  Although a windshield and a screw on gas cooker are a very dangerous combination and not advisable to use.  For longer trips I have just got myself a primus gravity (http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3335).  This means I can use the windshield in windy conditions worry free.  I have not tested it extensively but hope to next week.

FFS, I had settled on getting an Eta Express but the Primus Gravity looks a better all rounder. I'm not bothered by carrying a few hundred extra grams if it means I can have a cooking system for 1 or more, all year round.

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009 »

I've used the gravity 2 or 3 times so far just for making coffee.  It is quick and VERY stable.  Am curious about how long a cylinder will last; reviews are good but will have to see for myself.  Compared to using the pocket rocket, I love the gravity's stability and the fact that you can turn a dying canister upside down to get the last hint of life out of it (doing this with a pocket rocket is not so easy  8)   )

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009 »

Seems like the best option for me too................Cheers guys
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]