Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Tarps, bivvying and walking poles  (Read 7072 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Tarps, bivvying and walking poles
« on: October 10, 2011 »

When I bivvy I bring a walking pole to attach the bivvy to but in my quest for minimum weight a 350g pole just for that seems a waste. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have used handy rocks, stiles and walls to attach a tarp to but you can never guarantee what you're going to find where you want to camp. I'm wondering could I fashion something superlightweight just for this purpose or use something I already have with me (like the rucksack).

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Tarps, bivvying and walking poles
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011 »

Good point. I found I hardly bothered to use my walking pole in Corsica as my pack was fairly light, but it was essential when the tarp needed to be pitched. They are a bit handy in that they make good splints or would make life a lot nicer if you happened to go over on your ankle. To me, to properly take your weight on long treks (if your pack is heavy enough to need it), you need two of them. One is good for stability, but I'm pretty stable as it is... so it is quite redundant. Mine is 250g and there are lighter ones for big bucks.

I had been thinking about alloy or carbon tent pole sections. Two 55cm sections should be enough for the micro-tarp. A third section could be used for a rear lifter. The poles with a larger diameter should be a bit stiffer, ie. 9mm.

Vango replacement poles are readily available online, but there are forum links to places that will custom make any replacement tent poles with easton aluminium. For carbon, check ebay I think.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011 »

I have a set of old poles, fibreglass from a tent long binned. Two sections total 120cm or so and 105g. Only issue is how I attach the tarp to the top of the pole since it's well smooth.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011 »

I have a set of old poles, fibreglass from a tent long binned. Two sections total 120cm or so and 105g. Only issue is how I attach the tarp to the top of the pole since it's well smooth.

Line from tarp -> clove hitch on pole -> line to peg. Shouldn't slip with the tension, but if a problem maybe wrap a layer of duct tape in the area for a little bite?

Was actually in B&Q today so picked up 1m of 8mm aluminium tubing and 1m of 6mm. Cost about £5. Will cut the big tube in half and chemical weld 6mm nubbins inside for to join it. May need a milk bottle cap to stop it sinking. Will try it to see. The rest of the 6mm may be a lifter.

edit 28/11/12 - saw this thread was revisited and noticed I should update my post. This provided a very light pole (~80g) that was ok for one or two outings...but a windy night bent the 6mm joining section (I reckon the 8mm would have gone as well if it had been a single pole but this was the weaker part). I think much larger diameter tubing would be required and certainly of a stronger alloy than the basic aluminium this appeared to be.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012 by twentyclicks »
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011 »

I did think about the duct tape idea but reckoned that with the wind rattling it about it would still slip. As someone who doesn't even know what chemical welding is I was considering slipping a short piece of coathanger into the hole in the top bent into a hook or suchlike.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011 »

Chemical welding is the use of solvents or epoxy resin type glues. When the glue hardens or evaporates the parts are “welded” in place.

8thsinner

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012 »

I turn my basha into a tent using old fibreglass poles bent to a half dome at 85 inchss or something. In 7 parts.

On the other side of the tarp to raise it an extra foot i use a three part screw together pole with clove hitches.  this pole is steel but plastig lined and can be used for a blowgun, seat tripod stand, or maybe a walking pole if you wanted. Though i'm usually in woods and just use trees, it's handy to have alternatives for other conditions.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]