Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: 2 day mourne wall walk- What a wash out!  (Read 6123 times)

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
2 day mourne wall walk- What a wash out!
« on: October 25, 2009 »

the trip started well, ditched cars at meelmoore and set course for the trassey track. Given the tremendous amount of rain the previous day we soon hit our 1st obstacle. The trassey river was in flood and there was no where we could cross it fortunatley we found a narrow meander on up and were able to jump it there. Heading up the trassey track we had to remove water proofs as conditions were prefect we joined the wall at hares gap and set off yonder. The ascent of Bernagh went smoothly but when we summited the weather turned on us. The wind was blowing head on and each step was like wading through a swimming pool, it actually knocked me on my back on several ocassions. However we reached the boulder field on meelmoore and pushed on th the corner of the wall where we took a brak in the little hut. The fog was starting to come in now and visiblity was reduced to about 100metres. Andy thought this would make a good pic but when he pulled out his camera he found that the moisture trapped by his goretex had soaked his pocket and camera so he said he was going to throw it in his ruck  and he'd catch up. He thought we were walking on the other side of the wall and we lost him for about 10mins. Just to give you an idea of conditions we couldnt see for the rain and fog or hear for the wind someone right on the other side of the wall! we pushed on to muck but the weather became so bad that it was impossible to look up as the wind drove the rain into your face so hard it stung your eyes, i coukd actually feel it stinging the side of my face through my hood! After muck we decided to break track for a nearby forest but on the way we discovered that josh hadn't lined his ruck and his sleeping bag and half of the tent were soaked, a bit of a discussion later we decied that it would be foolish of the rest of us to let him use this kit so we yomped it down the bann road track to the nearest house, taxied back to lodge for hot chocolate and jaffa cakes in the back of Andy's van! Bit of a wash out overall (excuse the pun!) but a fun day in the hills anyway!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009 by chris_8764 »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: 2 day mourne wall walk- What a wash out!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 »

We went to the Seafood Restaurant for lunch then drove the road through the Mournes and it was definitely properly windy. Shame it didn't work out - maybe next time!

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 »

Good morning all,

What a disaster........... however we did make a valiant effort given the awful weather conditions  :)
Hope's had been raised at Hares Gap when we thought that the 'Mountain Gods' were smiling on us but alas they must have been a little angry as it absolutely opened on top of us. A real hard grind ahead we just got on with the task and Chris trip's report says it all, after coming off Muck and staring at the ascent over Slievenaglough we had a thourough discussion about possibly contouring around It did look fairly steep (from our stand point the wall looked almost vertical) and given the conditions a tad dangerous, light was fading and we still had a bit to go and get set up for the night, so we agreed to head down and around. It was on the Bann Road trail it really came to an end when we done the kit check and at that point it was unanimous that it really did make sense to ditch.

I would say watch this space............... a little down but in no way out !

Nightjar

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009 »

The weather was horrendous yesterday.I had a trip to Lough Arrow just outside Sligo. I went down on Thursday aftenoon and came back on saturday afternoon. My wee Smart car was wobbling quite a bit on the M1 with the wind yesterday so I took a shortcut towards Nutts corner from Junction 9.

I am lucky in that I am now not working and was able to take pick of the weather. I deliberately chose Thursday for travelling and Friday as my main day away. Friday in Sligo was quiet pleasant with only a couple of light showers. Friday night was bloody awful and I had great fun taking the tent down on Saturday. :'(

I know its difficult for those who are working and have family commitments to go away at short notice; however I find its good to check the long range weather on sites such as accuweather and plan short trips accordingly.

Philip

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 »

Your spot on with the planning aspect, with work commitments, family and trying to get dates to suit individuals with weather all in the mix it's extremely difficult to get the perfect window.

6-pack had been following the weather and we all thought we might get through without getting hit with the worst, still all things considered it was a pretty fantastic day in the hills imho ............challanging, exhilarating and lets you know your alive!!!!!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009 »

the trip started well, ditched cars at meelmoore and set course for the trassey track. Given the tremendous amount of rain the previous day we soon hit our 1st obstacle. The trassey river was in flood and there was no where we could cross it fortunatley we found a narrow meander on up and were able to jump it there. Heading up the trassey track we had to remove water proofs as conditions were prefect we joined the wall at hares gap and set off yonder. The ascent of Bernagh went smoothly but when we summited the weather turned on us. The wind was blowing head on and each step was like wading through a swimming pool, it actually knocked me on my back on several ocassions. However we reached the boulder field on meelmoore and pushed on th the corner of the wall where we took a brak in the little hut. The fog was starting to come in now and visiblity was reduced to about 100metres. Andy thought this would make a good pic but when he pulled out his camera he found that the moisture trapped by his goretex had soaked his pocket and camera so he said he was going to throw it in his ruck  and he'd catch up. He thought we were walking on the other side of the wall and we lost him for about 10mins. Just to give you an idea of conditions we couldnt see for the rain and fog or hear for the wind someone right on the other side of the wall! we pushed on to muck but the weather became so bad that it was impossible to look up as the wind drove the rain into your face so hard it stung your eyes, i coukd actually feel it stinging the side of my face through my hood! After muck we decided to break track for a nearby forest but on the way we discovered that josh hadn't lined his ruck and his sleeping bag and half of the tent were soaked, a bit of a discussion later we decied that it would be foolish of the rest of us to let him use this kit so we yomped it down the bann road track to the nearest house, taxied back to lodge for hot chocolate and jaffa cakes in the back of Andy's van! Bit of a wash out overall (excuse the pun!) but a fun day in the hills anyway!

Pretty much what chris said.
Saw on the weather when I got home 100-120kph gusts ;D
But we will be back 8)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009 »

I just measured on the map, we walked 11/12km. I know we made the right decision by calling it but I'm just looking out the window now wondering if we should have pushed on on not! To be fair I think the decision to quit was harder than the one to push on. It would have been tough tho binnian and donard to do!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]