Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: River Blackwater - Coney Island  (Read 4192 times)

irish2010

• Newbie Poster
River Blackwater - Coney Island
« on: September 03, 2009 »

A friend and I decided that we needed a quiet break - so we loaded up the canadian canoes and filled the barrells and headed off.  We 'put in' at Moy and paddled the Blackwater to lough neagh - really nice paddle, the river was beautiful and in good flow.  Then we crossed to Coney Island and made camp.  We got there about 5.30pm and about an hour later some CANI paddlers arrived - they were good sport & friendly.  After making camp and cooking up a minor feast we sat back to chat and 'put the workld to rights'.  About 10pm we decided bed was calling.____ Unfortunately, in the few hours we had been chatting, more people had been arriving at the island and the sight of bins of bottles of alcohol seemed ominous.........

At 3.30am having listened to 5 hours of very loud music, failed chat up lines and all sorts of conversations at much too loud a volume - we eventually got some sleep.   Why is it that these lovely remote places - attract arseholes who obviously want to be in a city somewhere?????

We left the island at 10am - with the revellers still in their tents - (couldn't resist spreading some breadcrumbs for the local chickens around their tents before we left - oh how the chickens fought over the crumbs....) and began the paddle back against the rivers flow - much more of a paddle but still glorious.

There is a campsite at the lough Neagh end of the Blackwater - maybe that is a better option next time than Coney Island??  Ram's Island may be another option (has anyone been there?)
Won't put me off - but seriously, if we are serious about getting places open to camp - then how do we stop these morons? 

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: River Blackwater - Coney Island
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009 »

How did they get out there? I always wonder where chav idiots get water transport from.

indianian

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009 »

was wondering that myself,  was it over the weekend??  im all for a wee dram when im overnighting but thats the kinda actions that get everyone banned from places, as in whats happening at lough lommund. 

irish2010

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009 »

Most of the 'revellers' were dropped off via jetskis (spit)..... but there were canoeists participating too - some loudly and openly considering a paddle at 2am when unable to talk let alone paddle.....

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009 »

Hearing these things really pisses me off. Of course everyone likes a wee swally now and again and im prone to carring my hip flask with me on such trips, for medicinal purposes only  :P. But there is a time and a place for alcohol abuse and its not coney island or any other peaceful settings that decent people like ourselves live for. Fcuk off to the city or whatever other holes you wee chav swines have crept out of and leave the wild camping, kayaking etc to us people that respect it.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

indianian

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009 »

ear ear,  well said that man,  just think of all the bad press, and the concequences to the paddleing world, if they had gone for a paddle at 2am and the worst had happened, 

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009 »

They have been standing in there local park one night with cheat cider swings and round abouts, drink talking, then one of them has come up with a bright idear lets go to Coney Island and have a drink and a disco, that would be great ?  

So they had one of the best nights of there lifes  ::), as they where out of that park they have been hanging about from the age of 13. But then they wake up in a haze to find chickens fighting over the crumbs, plus a cracker of a hang over, only to relize now we have to get home.

Rather them than me  :-*  Dumb asses   ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009 by wolflarson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]