Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 23637 times)

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Religion
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011 »

Yep, I have a copy of it. It is very good.. Wouldn't mind taking the pilgrimage/walk myself..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011 »

Kat told me about that film the other day.  When she was studying in Spain, Kat went to visit Santiago de Compostela which is home to the cathedral where it is believed St. James is buried (El Camino de Santiago translates as "Way of St. James").  I actually picked up the Way of St. James Cicerone guide when they had their sale on as would love to do the walk ever since Kat brought me home a cool t-shirt from Santiago de Compostela.  Not that I would be walking it as any kind of pilgrimage, just purely as an opportunity to explore the north of Spain.  Got the t-shirt, now just need to bag the walk ;)

On the subject of the original post, personally I believe in a creator God and being outdoors helps me to enjoy what I believe is a beautiful and planned creation.  That said the primary reason I get outdoors, like many people, is just to escape the daily grind.  All that fresh air and freedom from distractions sure gives you time to re-boot and clear the mind.  I doubt anyone who enjoys the outdoors would disagree with the mental and physical benefits of the activity... unless of course you are being blown off the side of Slieve Binnian at the time ;D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011 »

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011 »

Don't start, bloody troublemaker  ::)  :P

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species
;D I just deleted that link as I didnt want a debate about who's lies are truer  ;)

As my grandad always said only believe half the lies your told
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011 »

That's only because your Grandad never met me. If he had he'd have realised that actually, I'm always right :P
You can't really refute Darwin any more. The evidence is so thoroughly widespread it's hard to try to claim it's wrong after it being consistently backed up by solid science for 150 years. The fact that there are things we don't yet understand is no reason to assume their explanation has to be magic!

Don't start, bloody troublemaker  ::)  :P

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species
;D I just deleted that link as I didnt want a debate about who's lies are truer  ;)

As my grandad always said only believe half the lies your told

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011 by RedLeader »

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011 »

Nope your wrong my wife is always right FACT  :-\

Darwin speaks the truth in my eyes but what other people see from theirs I have no problem with everyone has a right to believe what they feel is the truth, but some are deluded beyond help  ;)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011 »

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"  ;)
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011 »

Very true, probably on both points :) Thats why I just go evidence. I accept what can be proven beyond reasonable doubt. I don't accept things just because someone (or an iron age book) tells me I should.

Generally I'm totally tolerant of everyone, people have a right to think what they like, it's a basic human right. What I don't like is when other peoples views get forced on the population at large, especially in the education system, super especially in science classes.

Nope your wrong my wife is always right FACT  :-\

Darwin speaks the truth in my eyes but what other people see from theirs I have no problem with everyone has a right to believe what they feel is the truth, but some are deluded beyond help  ;)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011 »

Very true, probably on both points :) Thats why I just go evidence. I accept what can be proven beyond reasonable doubt. I don't accept things just because someone (or an iron age book) tells me I should.

The wisdom is in the tree's, not the glass windows.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011 »

Whilst on the topic, there is a good debate I watched recently between Oxford Professors Richard Dawkins (author of "The God Delusion") and John Lennox.  Well worth a watch if you are interested in the subject, regardless of your own personal viewpoint.  I believe there is also coverage of a similar debate between John Lennox and Christopher Hitchens, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Linky here.

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011 »

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"  ;)

Who is Kaiser Sose?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011 »

Could be me, maybe I'm not really "lame"  ;D

(Those of you that haven't watched the usual suspects won't have a clue what we're on about)

But on the topic of religion, I can recommend a book called The Shack, it gives some interesting insights.
think outside, no box required

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011 »

just heard of a film out now that seems to be topical to this thread

"The Way"

http://www.theway-themovie.com/#/Synopsis

"The way that can be spoken of is not the true way". - Lao Tze   ;)

If anything, I have closest affinity to taoism and non-duality. Alan Watts audiobook series is also a bit of craic.
Be mindful of the present and all unknowns cease to matter. In the outdoors, it is easiest to attain that immediacy of the present... but to carry that freedom at all times and places is the real attainment.

"There is no spork" - Neo (lithic?)  :D
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011 »

Ha ha! I thought the moderators would have a hard time keeping this topic in check, instead it's RedLeader himself who starts laying down the absolutes of his religion  ;D

I might disagree with your interpretation of the evidence, but at least we all enjoy the fellowship of the outdoors.

I paddled Newferry to Portglenone on Tuesday morning, and it was no more holy or religious than the train journey into work this morning.  Much more enjoyable though, so if you're ever looking for a bow paddler RedLeader, give me a shout.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011 »

I call it like I see it but I like to think inoffensively - I'm one of those evangelical atheists :). You are right though, I did think this thread could have ended up in the moderators cutting room. Luckily we're all friends and generally more interested in the great outdoors than the finer points of belief :)

I'll always welcome a second paddler. Anyone who can help me get the beast off and on the car is always welcome. Alas, since I knackered my back last year carrying the damn thing I've been out very little. I often notice it looking all unused and sorry in the garden and wish I could get out more.

Ha ha! I thought the moderators would have a hard time keeping this topic in check, instead it's RedLeader himself who starts laying down the absolutes of his religion  ;D

I might disagree with your interpretation of the evidence, but at least we all enjoy the fellowship of the outdoors.

I paddled Newferry to Portglenone on Tuesday morning, and it was no more holy or religious than the train journey into work this morning.  Much more enjoyable though, so if you're ever looking for a bow paddler RedLeader, give me a shout.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]