Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: A moment's thought  (Read 3131 times)

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
A moment's thought
« on: August 10, 2012 »

On my last day out,'Bann's road walk ' i failed to mention about a little accident i had !  :P after we passed the shelter stone at the end of Ben Crom reserve we ventured into the gorge were the Kikeel river flows,we followed the river until the second waterfall,to the left of the falls was a scree bank about 40 feet high,& at the time looked the safest option rather than climb the falls itself.I've scrambled up scree many times before & sorta got into a way of doing it,basically the longer you take moving on it, the more your footing will slip,so it's a case of digging your feet in & moving all the time,well thats the idea anyway  ::)  i started the scramble up & was moving well,but i felt  the scree was very loose,ie most likey never been walked on before unlike the devils coachroad which is impacted down by walkers.Nearing the top my footing was starting to move & with my hands & boots dug in deep i began slide backwards  :-X  one of those , oh shit moments,anyway it was either slide down backwards & fall into the gorge or flip around & see where i'am gonna try and put myself,lol,anyway i sorta caught my big ass on the edge & my fall onto the gorge was quite slow landing on both feet  ;D .As far as i was concerned it was only my pride that was hurt,so i ventured on with the day & it was not until later that night i began to have really bad right hip pain,a wee trip to A & E the following morning confirmed that i had  damaged my right abductor muscle,so it was ice,pain control & rest for me,also a lesson to evaluate a bit better from now on,here's a photo of the scree slope & my slide marks down it,silly boy

20 by jimmysurg, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012 by Mourneman »

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
Re: A moment's thought
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012 »

I'm glad that you have come out of it relatively unscathed, it could have been a lot worse! Hope you're making good recovery!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012 »

Sorry to hear that.

But correct me if im wrong, but isin't the best way to climb scree is in a zig-zag pattern?
No one goes inside to clear their head

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012 »

Sorry to hear that.

But correct me if im wrong, but isin't the best way to climb scree is in a zig-zag pattern?
[/quote

Naturally I scramble up scree at an angle kicking my feet in,usually it not that loose & standing idle is always a bad idea,guess sometimes its a game of chance,given that I spend at least two days a week in the hills,the odd wee tumble is bound to happen ;D

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]