Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Salt Island, Strangford Lough  (Read 13682 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Salt Island, Strangford Lough
« on: July 17, 2009 »

I had been supposed to have been going camping at Salt Island this weekend so I paddled over to check it out. It's owned by the National Trust now and there's a bothy on it that you can book on the West side of the island. It sleeps 12 and is £6 per person or £60 for exclusive use. It has toilets, BBQ area and space out the front to camp. There's also a plantation behind so no shortage of firewood (although you aren't allowed to cut the trees, only use wood fron the ground). On the north end of the island you can wild camp for free and they have dug a latrine.

The island had a bothy for years but suffered fron vandalism. In the last few years the Trust have improved all the facilities and made it part of the Strangford Lough Canoe Trail. You can get to it by boat from Delamont Country Park (1.5m) or Killyleagh (1m). One word of warning - the West side where the jetty is has an extensive mudflat at low water that you can't really walk on so avoid it an hour either side. The east and north sides have no problems but also no jetty.

One thing I am curious about is how the bothy kept getting vandalised - Salt Island is only accessible by boat so how do the idiots get out there?

[smg id=73]

Good information on the island here:
http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.com/search?q=salt+island

• The Bothy is located on SaltIsland on Strangford Lough just south of Killyleagh. It is a bunkhouse which provides basic accommodation for canoeists and was restored in June 2008.
  • Salt Island is one of 11 canoe access points of the circular Strangford Lough Canoe Trail.  The canoe trail was officially launched at the Bothy on 2nd July 2008.  The other 3 National Trust access points are at Castle Ward, Island Reagh and HorseIsland.  For a guide see www.canoeni.com.
  • The Bothy accommodates 10 people and offers running water, toilets, a wood burning stove, kitchen area (no cooker), table and chairs.  Users must bring their own wood to the island for the stove and any means of cooking.
  • A key is required for the Bothy shutter which after booking and payment can be collected within opening hours from Castle Ward, Murlough National Nature Reserve, Dundrum (028 4375 1467), Killyleagh Outdoor Education Centre (028 4483 1646) and the House of Sport (028 9038 3855). There is also a code required for the key pad of the front door which will change on a regular basis.
  • All bookings for the Bothy are coordinated through Castle Ward Reception on 028 4488 1204.  The charges, which must be paid in full before key collection are as follows: Bothy - £6 per person per night OR £60 for exclusive use (There is no charge for camping at North Bay (on the north side of the island).
  • All users will be expected to respect the Bothy, its contents and other guests, and to leave the Bothy and the surrounding site clean and tidy after their stay.  Users must take all their rubbish with them off the island.
  • In an emergency contact Strangford Lough wardens on 07776 462537 or 07900 678411.
  • The National Trust has set up a ‘Friends of the Bothy’ group to help keep the Bothy and the island in good order.  If you are interested in volunteering, please email Jill Montgomery, Access & Recreation Officer on 028 9751 2345.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009 by jonno »

666_pack

• Hero Poster
Re: Salt Island, Strangford Lough
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009 »

Sounds like a great spot there jonno.
Is there a boat that sevices the island or is it only for those lucky enough to have a canoe?
The reason I ask is thta it sounds like the perfect spot for a NI-WILD meet.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009 »

Sounds like a great spot there jonno.
Is there a boat that sevices the island or is it only for those lucky enough to have a canoe?
The reason I ask is thta it sounds like the perfect spot for a NI-WILD meet.

There's no service so you have to have your own boat (that's why I'm so confused about the vandalism). I like the trip idea - we could hire canoes I suppose...

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009 »

Thats a possiblity.

Something to investigate further me thinks.

(Don't forget you still have a date with Slieve Bernagh...... :P)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009 »

Thats a possiblity.

Something to investigate further me thinks.

(Don't forget you still have a date with Slieve Bernagh...... :P)

I did Cave Hill twice this week, once backwards and still find it proper hard. The Mournes scare me :D

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009 »

Salt Island sounds really good for a wild camp. Can anybody hire canoe even if your experience of them may have been a right few years ago?
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009 »

Salt Island sounds really good for a wild camp. Can anybody hire canoe even if your experience of them may have been a right few years ago?

I think you can hire canoes with no experience if you don't intend to do do anything too wild. I know a couple of chaps that hired Canadians from John Hubbucks from Mobile Team Adventure when they had no experience. As far as I know he hired the canoes and then just gave them a bit of tuition before they set off. Since we would only be going about 2 miles I think it would probably be fine - can't vouch for the cost though!! Also, if Michelle was coming too I think she has plenty of sea experience and some coaching skills.

For the record I'd be well up for a Salt Island trip. Nothing like an open fire and a few drinkies on an island!

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009 »

CANI rent them out for a fiver a day to BCU level one coaches... Michelle?

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009 »

I love it when a plan comes together. ;D

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009 »

This is sounding pretty good. Canoeing wild camping and beer i think thats everyone kept happy ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009 »

Think I'll stick a post up and see who salutes :D

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009 »

Eeps sorry!!! I have been sleeping recently

I would be happy enough to come with you as a party member, but not in a coach capacity (only allowed to coach in sheltered water)

Jonno i have posted in the other thread for this as well!

I will see if i can round up any of the troups from this end.
Fun is not a straight line

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009 »

Ohhh, I'm sure that the NIBA guys would be up for that. Some are away on a Woodsmoke course next week but they would be up for a trip when they return.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009 »

Eeps sorry!!! I have been sleeping recently

I would be happy enough to come with you as a party member, but not in a coach capacity (only allowed to coach in sheltered water)

Jonno i have posted in the other thread for this as well!

I will see if i can round up any of the troups from this end.

Sorry, was very presumptious of me... I only meant that there would be some actual proper canoeists about, I didn't mean that I thought you'd be taking any sort of lead.

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009 »

I only put your name because you're a level 1 coach, so CANI will loan you canoes. 
I can see how that would cause you some problems when we all drown though.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]