Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Meelmore Lodge  (Read 6494 times)

undestructables

Meelmore Lodge
« on: July 15, 2009 »

Well we went to Meelmore Lodge for second weekend in a row,and what a disaster that was.
Forecast was for rain but not what we expected.

*****WARNING DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY TENT************

On Saturday night it was wet a little windy perhaps,on arrival back from Newcastle,our windbreaker had totally shredded our friends tent.

An hour later what seemen like over half of the campsite had lost and abondoned their tents,including us.Between us we had five hysterical children,I called the Lodge but no one was there to assist us in any way (in the web site they claim to be there to help)

In the end after a horriblke hour and five broken poles we were left with no option than to drop the tent and put boulders on top so it would not blow away or cause any other damage.All our belongings was inside,which was heart wrenching.

Early Sunday morning we arrived to an empty campsite,just a few remaining tents,and the resat either away or just blowing in the wind.

The farmer was on his quad,and approached us quite angrily and said "I hope youre gonna put those rocks back,and clear up tour mess" Pretty insensitive we thought considering the night before.

He then went on to tell us not to worry about loosing out tent and our friends tent.He throws at least ten tents away every week.Which really is quite alot,and indicates that it is happening all the time,therefore he should have a notice saying that the site is not suitable for family tents.They were the ones that seemed to be destroyed and two man tents being the ones to escape.

Therefore how can he sell his campsite to us as a family campsite only.Which is alot of nonsense as I seen loads of single guys and belive me the noise did not stop at 11 pm as promised.

If anyone else has anything to add I would be most grateful.

This is such a shame,it is in such a beautiful setting,what veiws,but the farmer at the end iof the day has no compassion and just wants to make money out of you,he had no sympathy what so ever.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009 by admin »

undestructables

Meelmore Lodge
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009 »

glow=red,2,300]Well we went to Meelmore Lodge for second weekend in a row,and what a disaster that was.
Forecast was for rain but not what we expected.

*****WARNING DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY TENT************

On Saturday night it was wet a little windy perhaps,on arrival back from Newcastle,our windbreaker had totally shredded our friends tent.

An hour later what seemen like over half of the campsite had lost and abondoned their tents,including us.Between us we had five hysterical children,I called the Lodge but no one was there to assist us in any way (in the web site they claim to be there to help)

In the end after a horriblke hour and five broken poles we were left with no option than to drop the tent and put boulders on top so it would not blow away or cause any other damage.All our belongings was inside,which was heart wrenching.

Early Sunday morning we arrived to an empty campsite,just a few remaining tents,and the resat either away or just blowing in the wind.

The farmer was on his quad,and approached us quite angrily and said "I hope youre gonna put those rocks back,and clear up tour mess" Pretty insensitive we thought considering the night before.

He then went on to tell us not to worry about loosing out tent and our friends tent.He throws at least ten tents away every week.Which really is quite alot,and indicates that it is happening all the time,therefore he should have a notice saying that the site is not suitable for family tents.They were the ones that seemed to be destroyed and two man tents being the ones to escape.

Therefore how can he sell his campsite to us as a family campsite only.Which is alot of nonsense as I seen loads of single guys and belive me the noise did not stop at 11 pm as promised.

If anyone else has anything to add I would be most grateful.

This is such a shame,it is in such a beautiful setting,what veiws,but the farmer at the end iof the day has no compassion and just wants to make money out of you,he had no sympathy what so ever.[/glow][/size]
please excuse the spelling errors as  Ididn't do a spell check !!!!!!

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Meelmore Lodge
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009 »

This is very interesting so I split it into a post of its own.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad trip - did any smaller 2/3 man tents survive the wind?

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009 »

Thats a real bummer.

I had planned to take my 2 year old here..............might have to rethink.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009 »

Thats a real bummer.

I had planned to take my 2 year old here..............might have to rethink.

I've been to Meelmore and I'd agree on 2 points - there's music after 11 (but not that bad the time I went) and the farmer that owns the place can be a bit grumpy. However, it's at the foot of the trassey so when the winds in the wrong direction it will be blustery since theres no real shelter. I'm sympathetic to the poster - no-one like a bad experience but I'm not sure what the owner could have done. I always figure that when I'm paying £6 for use of a plot of land there's a limit to what I can expect service-wise.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009 »

Seems that tent choice also plays a part. Some of the family style tents on offer can act more like parachutes in high winds if not battened down for the night.

I find that a simple dome tent will withstand alot of abuse and will stay up in bad weather but you do loose out on a sitting area.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009 »

Seems that tent choice also plays a part. Some of the family style tents on offer can act more like parachutes in high winds if not battened down for the night.

I find that a simple dome tent will withstand alot of abuse and will stay up in bad weather but you do loose out on a sitting area.

I like a tent and a tarp..

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009 »

This is good information.  I was thinking about Meelmore lodge, but our main holiday tent is a huge hotel-like monstrosity.  I'll probably still go, but now I know we need to take the wee walking tents.

Thanks

undestructables

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009 »

The facilities on site are appalling,very dirty and have unisex showers.And they have a cheek to ccharge you £1.00 for a token.

There are two large outdoor sinks to do your dishes in (not the cleanest) might I add.

Not all the smaller tents survied the weather,and really the forecast for Saturday was not as it turned out.

I know the Farmer was not responsible for the weather,but as we had five screaming petrified children with us,it would have been nice if someone was there to offer us some assistance.The previous weekend when we were there he was on site almost the whole night,but then it was a good night and he was making money from the sale of peat logs.

Kinda irrisponsible of a buisnessman to leave such a large campsite unattended really,which really was quite a scary experience.Especially if he told us "sure don't worry I dump at least ten tents every week"

I agree that some family tents are like parachutes but considering it is advertised as a FAMILY SITE ONLY
most families have larger tents and not small dome like tents,so therfore I really do feel that there should be a Disclaimer Notice stating how strong the winds can get.

undestructables

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009 »

:P :P :P :P ooooooohhhhhh Miss Vicky your sooooo cheeky.We promise never ever to wreck your tent again.I have to say it isa a lovely tent you have got,you've now got extra space,so if me an the hubby fall out I have a room next door.

We are heading off on Sunday to Sandilands which I have to say is a brilliantly run site.
It's immaculate,facilities are second to none,and it maybe doesn't have the Mournes on your door step,but I now feel that is actually a good thing,you can see the mournes and to make up for it there is a beautiful "private" beach for you to enjoy.And there is electric hook up available.

I would highly recommend this as a family site,and for the keen walker there are lots of different route you could choose from.ANd also the choice of the mournes a short drive away.

Will try and get some piccie uploaded for when I get back.

Miss V...........your gonna get thrown  in the sea LOLOLOL  :D

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]