Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: quote for the day  (Read 14597 times)

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
Re: quote for the day
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009 »

Girls are like pianos. When they're not upright, they're grand.

Rainey: That poor girl's just about ready to vault herself onto your fencepost.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best

Moving from Wales to Italy is like moving to a different country - Ian Rush

He's usually a good puller - but he couldn't get it up that time. - Richie Benaud (cricket commentator)

I never criticise referees and i'm not going to change a habit for that prat. - Ron Atkinson

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

"Love is temporary insanity curable by marriage." - Ambrose Bierce

"You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest." - Rowan Atkinson.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009 by wolflarson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009 »

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump of a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009 »

“We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Life is not fair, but life is not fair for everyone.  That makes life fair.

The rock that is an obstacle in the path of one person becomes a stepping-stone in the path of another.

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.  It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.  Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up.  It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.  It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lion or a gazelle-when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.

“If everything’s under control, you’re going to slow.” – Mario Andretti

“If you raise your children to feel that they can accomplish any goal or task they decide upon, you will have succeeded as a parent and you will have given your children the greatest of all blessings.” – Brian Tracy

"Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " – Muhammad Ali, boxer

“Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is not path and leave a trail.” – Muriel Strode

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use.” – Kierkegaard

"If money is your hope for independence, you will never have it.  The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability." – Henry Ford

"Every memorable act in the history of the world is a triumph of enthusiasm. Nothing great was ever achieved without it because it gives any challenge or any occupation, no matter how frightening or difficult, a new meaning. Without enthusiasm you are doomed to a life of mediocrity but with it you can accomplish miracles." - Og Mandino

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." - Buddha

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009 »

You need to lay off the caffeine by the looks of it :D You could stick all those in a single post  ::)

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009 »

"The important thing is this:  to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become." - Charles Du Bos

Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart.   -Chuck D, from song by Public Enemy "He Got Game"

“Don't worry about avoiding temptation... as you grow older, it will avoid you.” - Winston Churchill

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy” – Martin Luther King Jr

"The people who get on in this world are the ones who get up and look for the circumstances they want and, if they can’t find them, make them." – George Bernard Shaw, Playwright

“Faith is a passionate intuition.” - William Wordsworth

“Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.” - Socrates

“Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.” - Kahlil Gibran

”There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet." - William F. Halsey

“If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting.” – Dick Vermeil, American Football Coach

“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” - William Butler Yeats, Irish Poet and Dramatist

"Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind." - Leonardo da Vinci

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” – Will Rogers

"You’ve got to get to the stage in life where going for it is more important than winning or losing." – Arthur Ashe, Tennis Player

"An inventor fails 999 times, and if he succeeds once, he’s in. He treats his failures simply as practice shots." – Charles Kettering, Inventor

“Don’t fight a battle if you don’t gain anything by winning.” – George S. Patton

"Not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment." - George Sala

“When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: "You haven't!"” -Thomas Edison

“Fear makes strangers of people who would be friends.” - Shirley MacLaine

“Anger is a killing thing: it kills the man who angers, for each rage leaves him less than he had been before - it takes something from him.” - Louis L'Amour

“Lying has a kind of respect and reverence with it.  We pay a person the compliment of acknowledging his superiority whenever we lie to him.” - Samuel Butler

“Lying increases the creative faculties, expands the ego, and lessens the frictions of social contacts.” - Clare Boothe Luce

“Lying is the most simple form of self-defense.” - Susan Sontag

“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek then with our eyes open.” - Jawaharial Nehru

“The pacifist's task today is to find a method of helping and healing which provides a revolutionary constructive substitute for war.” - Vera Brittain

“It is easier to lead men to combat, stirring up their passion, than to restrain them and direct them toward the patient labors of peace.” - Andre Gide

"Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.  The moment you know how, you begin to die a little.  The artist never entirely knows, we guess.  We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark." - Agnes de Mile, American dancer-choreographer (1905-1993)

"When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure." - Peter Marshal

"Everyone has his burden. What counts is how you carry it." - Merle Miller

“You must get good at one of two things: sowing in the spring or begging in the fall.” - Jim Rohn

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of fire makes a small amount of heat." – Napoleon Hill, Author

“Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.” - Ambrose Bierce

"What is powerful is when what you say is just the tip of the iceberg of what you know." - Jim Rohn

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man’s training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly." – Thomas H. Huxley, scientist, educator

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

"When one of your dreams come true, you begin to look at the others more carefully."-Anon

You can’t experience success beyond your wildest dreams until you dare to dream something wild! -Scott Sorrell

Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them. -John Updike

Get excited and enthusiastic about you own dream. This excitement is like a forest fire -- you can smell it, taste it, and see it from a mile away. -Denis Waitley

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009 »

My all time favourite

Same shit different day ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009 »

Dont remember coming in
Dont know how ill go out
Inbetween it all i had a ball

Be yourself, nothing else
Dont hang around, walk around
Walk tall, not small
Live life, cant do it twice
No matter the price !!

We all want to do it alone,
Did you ever think,
what you could of known

Dave McCrum
copyright 2009
        ;D

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009 »

"Bristow reasons . . . Bristow quickens ... Aaah, Bristow."

"Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete." "That was like throwing three
pickled onions into a thimble!"

"He's about as predictable as a wasp on speed"

"Look at the man go, its like trying to stop a water buffalo with a
pea-shooter"

"The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in, with a portion of
chips.......you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them"

"Big Cliff Lazarenko's idea of exercise is sitting in a room with the
windows open taking the lid off something cool and fizzy."

"It's like trying to pin down a kangaroo on a trampoline"

"Well as giraffes say, you don't get no leaves unless you stick your neck
out"

"His eyes are bulging like the belly of a hungry chaffinch"

"That's the greatest comeback since Lazarus."

"It's the nearest thing to public execution this side of Saudi Arabia."

"He's as cool as a prized marrow!"

"Under that heart of stone beat muscles of pure flint."

"He looks about as happy as a penguin in a microwave."

"That's like giving Dracula the keys to the blood bank"

"As they say at the DHSS, we're getting the full benefit here."

"He is as slick as minestrone soup"

"There hasn't been this much excitement since the Romans fed the Christians
to the Lions."

"The players are under so much duress, it's like duressic park out there!"

"This lad has more checkouts than Tescos."

"John Lowe is striding out like Alexander the Great conquering the Persians"

"When I see Steve Davis I see two letters... C S... Cue Sorceror"

"There's only one word for that - magic darts!"

"Keith Deller's not just an underdog, he's an underpuppy!"

"I don't know what he's had for breakfast but Taylor knocked the
Snap,Crackle and Pop outta Bristow"

"Even Hypotenuse would have trouble working out these angles"

"Steve Beaton - The adonis of darts, what poise, what elegance - a true
roman gladiator with plenty of hair wax."

"If you're round your auntie's tonight, tell her to stop making the
cookie's and come thru to the living room and watch these two amazing
athletes beat the proverbial house out of each other"

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were
no more worlds to conquer..... Bristow's only 27."

"Eat your heart out Harold Pinter, we've got drama with a capital D in
Essex."

"If we'd had Phil Taylor at Hastings against the Normans, they'd have gone
home."

"He's playing out of his pie crust."

"They won't just have to play outta their skin to beat Phil Taylor. They'll
have to play outta their essence!"

"Darts players are probably a lot fitter than most footballers in overall
body strength."

"Look at him as he takes his stance, like he has been sculptured, whereas
Bobby George, with his bad back, looks like the Hunchback of Notre Dame."

"He's playing like Robin Hood in the Nottingham super league"

"Phil Taylor's got the consistency of a planet ... and he's in a darts
orbit!"

"The atmosphere is a cross between the Munich Beer Festival and the
Coliseum when the Christians were on the menu."

"Jockey Wilson, he comes from the valleys and he's chuffing like a
choo-choo train!"

"He's like D'Artagnan at the scissor factory."

"Steve Beaton, he's not Adonis, he's THE donis"

Sid wadell - darts commentator legend!

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009 »

Here's 1 for you, YOU DIE IF YOU WORRY AND YOU DIE IF YOU DONT SO WHY WORRY.Have a nice day!
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009 »

Christopher McCandless: I read somewhere... how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong.

Christopher McCandless: I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau here... rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

Christopher McCandless: Some people feel like they don't deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past.

Christopher McCandless: If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed.

Christopher McCandless: Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one.

Christopher McCandless: When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it.

Christopher McCandless: [written into book] Happiness only real when shared.

Christopher McCandless: You don't need human relationships to be happy, its placed all around us.

Christopher McCandless: The freedom and simple beauty is too good to pass up.

Christopher McCandless: It should not be denied that being footloose has always exhilarated us. It is associated in our minds with escape from history and oppression and law and irksome obligations. Absolute freedom. And the road has always led west.

Christopher McCandless: Two years he walks the earth. No phone, no pool, no pets, no cigarettes. Ultimate freedom. An extremist. An aesthetic voyager whose home is the road. Escaped from Atlanta. Thou shalt not return, 'cause "the West is the best." And now after two rambling years comes the final and greatest adventure. The climactic battle to kill the false being within and victoriously conclude the spiritual pilgrimage. Ten days and nights of freight trains and hitchhiking bring him to the Great White North. No longer to be poisoned by civilization he flees, and walks alone upon the land to become lost in the wild. - Alexander Supertramp May 1992

Christopher McCandless: The sea's only gifts are harsh blows, and occasionally the chance to feel strong. Now I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once. To find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions. Facing the blind death stone alone, with nothing to help you but your hands and your own head.

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
— Chris McCandless

"Surely all Americans have the right to give their money only to those causes which they support. But what kind of society has this created? A society where the ignorant reign. A society where enlightened must hold their tongues. A nation whose politicians must profess half-hearted devotion to an ancient fable or face the disastrous consequences of speaking their true mind."
Chris McCandless writing on religious fanaticism in The Emory Wheel student newspaper, October 1987  

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods; / There is a rapture on the lonely shore; / There is society, where none intrudes, / By the deep sea, and music in its roar; / I love not man the less, but Nature more... /

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009 »

You need to lay off the caffeine by the looks of it :D You could stick all those in a single post  ::)

Getting the hang of it now.  ;)

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009 »

It really is an amazing result; 0-0 at half time.

The atmosphere here is thick and fast.  

Not only has he shown Junior Lewis the red card, but he's sent him off.

It's real end-to-end stuff, but unfortunately it's all up at Forest's end.

For Burnley to win they are going to have to score.

They only count when they go in the goal.

He went down like a pack of cards.

Can you believe it. James Beattie's hit it on the 18-yard line - 22 yards out.

He had it on a plate, he had the sausage, bacon and eggs on it as well, but he couldn't take it.

Mark Halsey didn't have a decision to make, apart from giving the penalty.

He's had three offside decisions, two right, two wrong.

Chris Kamara
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009 by wolflarson »

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009 »

"If I had to live again I would do exactly the same thing. Of course I have regrets, but if you are 60 years old and you have no regrets then you haven't lived." - Christy Moore

"He was Lawless by name and lawless by nature, trouble right from the start" - Davy McCrum
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009 by Wolf_Larson »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009 »

lol i think other people are ment to post on this too!

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009 »

lol i think other people are ment to post on this too!

LOL true chris, i love quotes and get carryed away.
I think ive covered most quotes, but im sure theres more  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]