Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Wildest Place in NI?  (Read 26449 times)

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
Re: Wildest Place in NI?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012 »

I have done that path on the bike or what remained of it. Climbing up to hamiltons seat with a bike on my shoulder was a bit of a heart in mouth moment.  :o

Holy **** you have balls of steel downing that path on a bike, what is the hamiltons seat ?
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012 »

At Benbane Head, Hamilton’s Seat (named after Rev. W. Hamilton, the first observer to describe accurately the origin of the basalts in 1786) is the highest point and offers superb views of the Causeway Coast and its geological successions in a series of bays and headlands.

There was a series of steps at the end of the path that lead up to the upper cliff path and I just assumed they were still there.  When I had got around that far I didnt want to turn all the way back so just climbed the scree.
Its not something I would do again.  Running out of my nine lives I think.  The worst was getting to the top then getting a bollicking from some man who said I was a bad influence on his children letting them see that. WHAT??  Dont let them watch what I was doing if it was an issue.

This image below was taken that day!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012 by mregan »

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012 »

To the Fair Head Posters - I walk there regularly and if you fancy a dander from Marconi's cottage in the west along the old miner's track, up and over the cliffs and then down into Mirlough via Benvan in the east over the boulders and up the grey man's.. give me a shout it is a hell of a walk and surprisingly around 1km of ascent.

I love that walk.  Been meaning to get back and do it.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012 »

I know the steps you mean, all my pictures are on facebook. I took my step son and his friend round it b4, does that make me bad ? lol. Ive done that walk 6-7 times now.

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012 »

It's getting a lot worse now with landslides but why would it make you bad! Kids need adventure and this idea of closing places off and mollycuddling needs to stop. Health and safety police need to be thrown of the cliff side. Do things in a safe manner and be aware of the risks and dangers!

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012 »

Agreed about the kids, last time i was walking the path. It had two big land slides, i did not see them happen lucky enough. It is the best and nicest walk i have ever done, i hope one day i can find a better walk.

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012 »

The wildest place in NI might well be the boulder field below Fair Head. It's like the land that time forgot down there. I have read in old books that in the past, people have gone walking in there and have never come back.  I can well believe it as there are some massive holes and caves between the boulders where a body would never be found.

The wildest place in Donegal (and perhaps the whole of Ireland) must be the stretch of coastline between Glencolumcille and Ardara.  There's at least 10km of walking there with no road or habitation. Perhaps there are sections of Co. Mayo that come close to this level of remoteness.

Cliffs under fair head.

Slievetooey coast.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012 by andymcinroy »

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012 »

Wilderness is a hard one to define isn't it? I feel that wilderness is something I would relate to lack of humans. Somewhere that we arent the dominant species and where we are reminded we are just another animal, that needs the same things as other animals to survive (food,water,sheleter etc)

I havent travelled an awful lot of the country, but I would have to say the Sperrin Mountains. I'm saying this because they are the place you would call the middle of nowhere, and if you got lost there you are pretty out of the way. I can only compare this to the Mournes where your in respect closer to more towns and more people.

I'm told you could hike in the Sperrins for weeks and not run into a soul....
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012 »

that's probably true, but I got put off after a day's hike, coming over the top of a particularly difficult climb and seeing somebody parked in their car admiring the view.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012 »

that's probably true, but I got put off after a day's hike, coming over the top of a particularly difficult climb and seeing somebody parked in their car admiring the view.
lol mate, just think that guy was in the car wishing he was you. I would say he shall be on NI WILD soon  ;D

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012 »

The wildest place in Donegal (and perhaps the whole of Ireland) must be the stretch of coastline between Glencolumcille and Ardara.  There's at least 10km of walking there with no road or habitation. Perhaps there are sections of Co. Mayo that come close to this level of remoteness.

I have been under these Slieve Tooey cliffs in a boat, very impressive. Note I'm not getting muddled, I've never been round to Slieve League where the cliffs are actually higher.

Went up to check on the Spinkwee / Cascade River camping spot on Wed. That whole area at the back of Tollymore feels remote to me, perhaps because it's hidden between the forest and the high hills.

As those who have camped there will know there's a nice old oak and birch copse on the east bank of Spinkwee. There is limited natural regeneration of trees in here, I found a few birch, willow and holly saplings (sadly no oak). Grazing appears to be light but it would still be better if they got rid of the bl--dy sheep. Further upstream there are holly saplings and possibly others, I didn't have time to walk up. The stream further west (beyond the abandoned house) also has self-seeded trees and gorse along it's length. Along the back wall of Tollymore there are more birch and willow saplings and at least three ash saplings, along with gorse. Nice reedbed / bog further east from Spinkwee.

There's a badger sett across the river just above the camping spot. Plenty of birds in and around Tollymore. Willow warbler and blackcap (newly arrived migrants) singing and also got dipper, crossbill and jay. Tollymore itself has some limited regeneration of native species.

So all in all quite a wild wee spot that gives a picture of my idea of wilderness as somewhere where natural processes are occurring (can't think of a better explanation!). A wall surrounds this whole area (check map), it would be easy for a conservation organisation to buy it, remove the sheep and see what happens ... would really be first class then.
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012 »

Got to the Fair Head boulder field yesterday. Wandered in from the Murlough Bay side. Nice woods at Murlough Bay.

I'm not sure how far round the headland I got, think about halfway. I wasted time by going up and down a lot trying to find an easier path. On the way back I just went straight across the boulders and it was a lot quicker.

Photos don't do the place justice, the size and number of boulders, deep crevices, caves etc. make it difficult going. Plenty of thick heather, brambles and regenerating birch, willow and occasional ash saplings. I think there were also some rowans and, perhaps more unwelcome, there were a few sycamores. No definite sign of sheep in the boulder field itself although I did find droppings in some of the "caves" - possibly from the feral goats that reportedly live here? Also three fox scats, proving that these animals get everywhere. It would seem a tough hunting ground for a fox but with plenty of shelter at least.

Bird life scarce yesterday, wren, robin, raven, gannet, oystercatcher, various gulls. Mistle thrush and coal tit singing at Murlough.

I got to a section where there was seemingly no path at all and some quite thick vegetation.  Didn't want to step into a concealed hole and was pushed for time so turned back.

Chris E

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012 »

I must have just missed you, I was there yesterday too. I saw a buzzard  circling around the ruins of the wee church. Had a quick walk around, but couldn't both much due to an ongoing bout of sciatica- literally a pain in the butt.

Some great rock formations around that area, just like the Giant's Causeway lying on it's side.

Defo one of my favourite places, and I'll have to spend more time there as my boys get older.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012 by Chris E »
Chris

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2013 »

Would recommend exploring Fermanagh. South of Lower Lough Erne especially good. Definitely among the wildest parts of Northern Ireland with great scattered areas of natural woodland. Even seems to be some woodland expansion in upland areas (... don't tell the conservation organisations).

Sheep-grazing still a problem of course and there are also lots of wild deer. As they have no natural predators the deer are shot to allow woodland regeneration ... strange this is considered when the impact of the non-native sheep is not! Maybe shooting deer is just fun.

Could be great camping spots out there too. Am planning to give it a go some time.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2013 »

Wish there was something to take sheep out as fair game but framers would be pissed, the wildest place in NI must be my house on an everyday night lol

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]