Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What did you do at the weekend  (Read 15240 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
What did you do at the weekend
« on: May 25, 2009 »

So what did everyone do at the weekend, outdoors or otherwise?

I'll go first - Saturday I canoed to Salt Island in Strangford Lough for sausage butties cooked on a wood burning stove (was an excellent day but the weather was really bad and the paddle was torturous). Monday I went for a walk (and more sausage butties) in Tollymore. Had a few relaxing beers inbetween as well as some sofa time for the footy and F1... Not a bad weekend all things considered but I'm bloody knackered :D

I'll stick up a blog when I get a mo.

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
Re: What did you do at the weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009 »

On saturday I helped out Ardclinis with the splash and dash session at cushendun, followed by a little yak surfing :)  I then went to Rathlin (by ferry not kayak!) for a few beers.  Sunday I spend looking for my head and 1 lost purse. 

This weekend coming is going to be some craic as I am doing my kayak Canoe level 1 coaching assessment :'( not scared at all honest.  I was out in a canadian on Monday night there just for a wee refresher paddle.  We paddled up from Portna (point 5 on the lower bann trail) and just practiced a few strokes etc  just up from the sluice gates.  It was really beautiful, despite the rain :(  I really need to get more canoe paddling done.

This Thursday I think/hope to be paddling from Dunseverick to Ballintoy with CCKA- busy week for paddling!! Dont know what is going to happen when i get a job!!
Fun is not a straight line

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009 »

On saturday I helped out Ardclinis with the splash and dash session at cushendun, followed by a little yak surfing :)  I then went to Rathlin (by ferry not kayak!) for a few beers.  Sunday I spend looking for my head and 1 lost purse. 

This weekend coming is going to be some craic as I am doing my kayak Canoe level 1 coaching assessment :'( not scared at all honest.  I was out in a canadian on Monday night there just for a wee refresher paddle.  We paddled up from Portna (point 5 on the lower bann trail) and just practiced a few strokes etc  just up from the sluice gates.  It was really beautiful, despite the rain :(  I really need to get more canoe paddling done.

This Thursday I think/hope to be paddling from Dunseverick to Ballintoy with CCKA- busy week for paddling!! Dont know what is going to happen when i get a job!!

You certainly had a busy weekend, sounds great.

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009 »

The purse has turned up- after i cancelled my card :(  If you do bacon butties I will join you on a trip out next time !!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009 »

The purse has turned up- after i cancelled my card :(  If you do bacon butties I will join you on a trip out next time !!

Sounds like your night out on Rathlin must have been an absolute belter!!! Also, I don't go anywhere without bacon - my body wont operate without the promise of a buttie at some point!!

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009 »

I have been ponderin the idea of a bacon butty orienteering course. Butties instead of check points yum

Lee B

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009 »

Saw Angels and Demons on Sat.  It was OK, nothing spectacular.  Did the NIBA day out (http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=241.0) on Sun.  That's been well written up and photographed, so I won't rehash it :)  Also caught up on some reading, and got some work done.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009 »

Saw Angels and Demons on Sat.  It was OK, nothing spectacular.  Did the NIBA day out (http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=241.0) on Sun.  That's been well written up and photographed, so I won't rehash it :)  Also caught up on some reading, and got some work done.

So is Angels and Demons actually worth seeing for someone who only really likes movies where lots of people get shot (yeah, I'm shallow)?

Lee B

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009 »

Heh.. I've a bad reputation for recommending movies Jonno :)  I usually find something to like in any movie.

It's kind of in-between the action genre and the intellectual mystery genre, doing neither of them well.  For me, it was a decent night out with friends.  I'm interested in the whole old-style spirituality vs. modern decadence thing it got into a bit, but I doubt that would appeal to most.  Even with an interest in one of the main themes, it wasn't that great for me.  I've seen a LOT worse though.  If you liked The Da Vinci Code, this was a bit more action and a bit less thought, so you'll probably enjoy it more.  Otherwise... it (probably) won't make you want your time back; just don't expect too much :)

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009 »

I had the pleasure of being invited to canoe over to Salt Island saturday evening 10.30 to be exact where we had a midnight BBQ. We then set off next day to explore the surrounding islands weather was great, company was even better and a good time was had by all, best weekend i had for a very long time

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009 »

I had the pleasure of being invited to canoe over to Salt Island saturday evening 10.30 to be exact where we had a midnight BBQ. We then set off next day to explore the surrounding islands weather was great, company was even better and a good time was had by all, best weekend i had for a very long time

I'm so jealous. I really want to get camping on Salt Island.

I spent Friday driving the Bann from Toome to Kilrea to check out the canoeing and camping possibilities. Then on Sat I was off to the Mournes with m'boy and we climbed Slievenaglogh followed by the cup final, a BBQ and some celebratory Coronas. By the time I hit Sunday I was knackered and a day on the sofa was called for!! A top weekend all round (but I'm still jealous I wasn't camping on Salt Island :D:D:D)

Piccies of the hike on the Mournes here http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=249.0

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009 »

On Saturday, I had my first (Though unsuccessful) attempt at making bread in a Dutch Oven over an open fire. Unfortunately, I didn't pay it enough attention and I badly burnt it. Ahh well, I'll do better next time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009 »

Well I'm ashamed to say that other than a quick 3 miles in Black Mountain on Friday night I did nowt at the weekend. I did a bit of unsucessful shopping on Sat (for canoe paddles and camp seats) and spent Sunday on the sofa. I hate wasting weekends when the weather's nice  >:(

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009 »

Spent sunday out. Made some cordage from nettle fibres, did a spot of spoon carving, made some wood sprites and had a nice time by the fire.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009 »

I was kite flying at Island Hill on Sat afternoon - everyone should try flying a kite when the wind is string. It's awesome. Was at the ice house in Donard Forest on Sunday. Wanted to work out if I'd be capable of walking up there with camping gear. Good news is I think I'd be okay as long as I could stop and be sick occasionally...  ::)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009 by jonno »
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]