Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How I hate thee, let me count the ways  (Read 14553 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: How I hate thee, let me count the ways
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011 »

My work is doing the cycle to work scheme, so i can get a decent mountain bike v soon, but may have to get from halford...

Halfords sell the Boardman range of bikes, which are actually pretty darned good.  As far as I know only the main Halfords branches stock them, so you'd probably have to go to the likes of Boucher Road store.  Most of them have well specced parts for reasonable prices and are well up to the job.  Unfortunately I've been trying to get my work to join the Cycle to Work scheme for the last few years with no success, just go round in circles.  I believe there have been recent changes made to the scheme by the government though which make it much less appealing :(  Truth be told my mountain bike hasn't budged from the shed in about a year now, but I'm considering getting a touring bike so I can do a bit of cycle touring instead.  Couple of panniers and a tent sounds like fun :)

Scribble

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011 »

My wife informed me today through her cycle to work scheme she gets 50% off I'm well impressed with that and she can use halfords or the bike dock , my work took 14 months to buy us a kettle , think a few more nights overtime are needed so I can some new  wheels and a shiny bell
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011 »

we have a cycle to work scheme but you are supposed to cycle in at least 50% of the time to use it, considering i live 45 miles from work it would be a bit hard to justify that one  :-[
think outside, no box required

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011 »

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.....  I'll check out the boardmans.... also . a touring bike, i never thought of getting a specific design for that, I was just planning on using a mountain bike for that (or perhaps a hybrid)..... I'm not sure i'd be cutout for dangerous trails - I'm too accident prone....

I've heard people say about their employers require the bike to be used a certain amount of time.... but its very hard for them to monitor that ... I think some of the bigger employers say it, but I'm not sure it would be legal to enforce it.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011 »

but then again, i want to get into 'adventure racing' so i'll need a mountain bike....

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011 »

but then again, i want to get into 'adventure racing' so i'll need a mountain bike....

Hardtail mountain bike it is then :)

we have a cycle to work scheme but you are supposed to cycle in at least 50% of the time to use it

I've never heard of any employer actually enforcing that.  A friend of mine bought a full suspension mountain bike through Cycle to Work and his commute was Bangor to Kilkeel!  Needless to say the bike didn't do too much commuting!  As far as I can gather the real saving comes from the tax break, so it doesn't really cost the employer and in return they get happier, healthier employees :)  One of the controversial issues with the government Cycle to Work scheme is that they were talking about changing the final value fee.  It used to be you paid a nominal amount at the end of the scheme to buy and own the bike, but from what I've heard they changed the rules on this and now you have to pay a more significant amount to keep the bike.  I'd double check this before signing up to any Cycle to Work scheme at the moment, as you could end up having to pay more than the bike is worth to keep it, or hand it back.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011 »

I always have had a suspicion that the price paid on the schemes would be closer to the RRP than  you may be able to get on the high street.  Never looked much into it though.  I think one scheme I saw was with Chain Reaction Cycles and only certain bikes were eligible for the scheme which may have been a more expensive bike than some people may otherwise have gone for.  Whenever there is any sort of tax break there can often be someone in the middle doing alright out of it.

I bow to others experience if they have used the scheme and found it different to that. 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011 »

I just got my 4th bike on the cycle to work scheme.  
It's worth it.  
I've had bikes from Bikedock, Chain Reaction and McConveys, and they're all really accomodating and none of them stick the arm in just because it's cycle to work scheme.  It make no difference to them.  they still get paid.  Your savings are on VAT and Income tax.

This year the savings aren't quite as good because the government have finally realised that a bike doesn't lose 97% of its value in the first year.  but overall you're still saving something like 40% of the cost of the bike... and accessories.  

Accessories like backpacks, camelbacks, gloves, headtorches, waterproof trousers, merino wool baselayers, softshell jackets, waterproof jackets, and GPS.  All vitally important for your winter commute, but if cycling's not your only outdoor activity you might also find other uses for them too.   ::)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 by DryBag »

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011 »

I was reliably informed from a source close to hub of things that it wasn't necessary that you cycle all the way to/from work.  You could quite legitimately park your car half way or use other public transport some of the way.  That put's a different handle on things.  You wouldn't want to be saddled with a telling off from your boss!  Give us a brake.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011 »

We have the scheme in work and in no way have they asked to see the bike or to see you using it. As long as the money is taken out monthly they don't care.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011 »

Ah yes, I usually just cycle to the train station.

and i've never been asked to provide evidence that I use the bike.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011 »

Would be quite funny if they did. You'd have to provide a photo of you, on the bike holding a copy of that days paper in a variety of locations between home and work. Or the HR Manager would have to jog along behind you!

Ah yes, I usually just cycle to the train station.

and i've never been asked to provide evidence that I use the bike.

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011 »

Would be quite funny if they did. You'd have to provide a photo of you, on the bike holding a copy of that days paper in a variety of locations between home and work. Or the HR Manager would have to jog along behind you!

Now that would be funny..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]