Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Tent Reviews  (Read 111788 times)

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
Re: Tent Reviews
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010 »

Conventional tent makers increase the HH by applying additional PU coatings to the inside of the fabric. Applying it to the inside means that abrasion and UV have less effect on the coatings. DWR is usually only applied to the outside of the fabric as an aid to quick drying as it helps stop the outside of the fabric "wetting out". Even if this does occur, water will not penetrate the inside of the fabric.
Also the figures quoted seem very low. The tear strength of Silnylon is closer to 40lb and not 13 as quoted. I'd love to know where they get the wind driven rain figures from.
Tent makers like Hilleberg and Lightwave have large Hydrostatic heads for their flysheets without compromising on strength.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010 »

Being perfectly honest I don't know that much about tent fabrics or their manufacture, but anything posted is from reliable sources. The wind driven rain is quoted from the OM gear editor so I would presume he knows something on the matter and is quoting it from a reliable source, but maybe not I don't know. The tear figures are taken from a cottage UL gear makers website, and I can't think of a reason why they would quote the tear strength as being less than what it is, I guess all silnylon is not made equal and the figures your aware of are a heavier grade? The cheapo tents with high HH bit to me refers to sub £50 tents quoting a HH of a gazillion mm when they have most probably achieved it in such a way that has compromised the fabric strength, maybe not fatally so but its still been compromised. Crux, Terra Nova and Hilleberg all have fabrics with high HH, but they make some of the finest tents in the world and are anything but cheap. I'd like to think that reason that they cost £250+ is that they have taken a bit more time in achieving their higher HH than the cheapo tents and haven't just picked the cheapest option which will most likely not be the most the greatest for fabric strength.

Anyway's thats how I see it  ???

I think the point is that anything with a HH over 1000 should keep you dry, however obviously higher will give you greater performance and reassurance. Speaking of which from what I can find out that TNF tadpole only has a HH of 1500mm? If a tent is dirt cheap and has a massive HH then be a bit dubious as it may been achieved through compromising the fabrics structural integrity.

Back to the tent search -->
The coleman falcon X2 looks like a good choice to me at around £115 delivered from here. 1.45 kg for a double skin 2 berth tent seems pretty good especially around 100 quid (from 200)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010 »

Being perfectly honest I don't know that much about tent fabrics or their manufacture, but anything posted is from reliable sources. The wind driven rain is quoted from the OM gear editor so I would presume he knows something on the matter and is quoting it from a reliable source, but maybe not I don't know. The tear figures are taken from a cottage UL gear makers website, and I can't think of a reason why they would quote the tear strength as being less than what it is, I guess all silnylon is not made equal and the figures your aware of are a heavier grade? The cheapo tents with high HH bit to me refers to sub £50 tents quoting a HH of a gazillion mm when they have most probably achieved it in such a way that has compromised the fabric strength, maybe not fatally so but its still been compromised. Crux, Terra Nova and Hilleberg all have fabrics with high HH, but they make some of the finest tents in the world and are anything but cheap. I'd like to think that reason that they cost £250+ is that they have taken a bit more time in achieving their higher HH than the cheapo tents and haven't just picked the cheapest option which will most likely not be the most the greatest for fabric strength.

Anyway's thats how I see it  ???

I think the point is that anything with a HH over 1000 should keep you dry, however obviously higher will give you greater performance and reassurance. Speaking of which from what I can find out that TNF tadpole only has a HH of 1500mm? If a tent is dirt cheap and has a massive HH then be a bit dubious as it may been achieved through compromising the fabrics structural integrity.

Back to the tent search -->
The coleman falcon X2 looks like a good choice to me at around £115 delivered from here. 1.45 kg for a double skin 2 berth tent seems pretty good especially around 100 quid (from 200)

I was a bit wary of that myself keith but with my tadpole all I can say is so far so good. I know it's a 3 season tent but i performed really well last weekend and did stand up to a overnight fall of snow. I must have shook a few kilos of snow of the fly when i woke up and the inside was dry apart from where some snow got in when I entered the tent for the night. But that said I still wont be able to give it 100% untill I've pitched it in proper Norn Iron rain.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010 »

I was a bit wary of that myself keith but with my tadpole all I can say is so far so good. I know it's a 3 season tent but i performed really well last weekend and did stand up to a overnight fall of snow. I must have shook a few kilos of snow of the fly when i woke up and the inside was dry apart from where some snow got in when I entered the tent for the night. But that said I still wont be able to give it 100% untill I've pitched it in proper Norn Iron rain.

I daresay you'll see a bit of good'ol Ulster moisture soon enough.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010 »

How is the pro argos holding out ?  ;-)
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2010 »

I may be able to lend a number of useful points here.

1. When in Spring do you plan to do the WHW?  I've been in that area both early and late April and there were hardly any midges.

2. My friend has a Robens tent which we used last year for the WHW.  It's 2 man of average size.  Pitches outer first, but wasn't the quickest to get up.  Stood up to some strong gusts in Glencoe and kept us dry.  It has decent venting options, and as I slept by the door, the nice choice of zipping it over if the breeze got too cool.  We didn't have any problems with condensation.

3. I have had a Coleman 2 man tent for about 7 years.  It cost £90 and is doing well.  No bends, rips, tears or leaks (I only washed and proofed it last year, more out of guilt than necessity).  I've had it on some very rough grass and stubble so very surprised not to puncture the groundsheet.  It pitches inner first (mostly mesh) but I can put it up in 5 mins on a good day.  You get a really good solid pitch out of it.  Side entrance on both sides with ok space for some gear - with 2 people the bags sit outside.  Loads of ventilation because of the mesh, but my only gripe is that the outer sits quite high - so when the cold wind blows it passes right through the tent.  It always gets laughed at, or called an 'action man' tent, but it does the job.  Last May when the crazy winds hit the UK I camped in it on the coast of Anglesey.  Didn't budge.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Coleman as a standard tent that will last.

Both the Robens and the Coleman are about 2.5kg.  I want something lighter, and had been thinking of the Vango Tempest but it is very low/small.  Those Henry Shires tents mentioned above look more the ticket.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2010 »

Thanks for the reply 20.  I'm hoping to do WHW over Easter week, starting on 3rd April, so from everything I've heard midges wont be a problem.  Thank goodness, because I was in the West Highlands last June and the midges were fierce!

I got sorted with a tent since my last posts in this thread though.  Went with the Vango Tempest 200 in the end.  Had it out on the Donard Wood trip last weekend and it seems to tick all the boxes for me.  Bit heavy and bulky to carry for 1 person, but split between 2 (which it will be most of the time) it works out at just over a kilo each.  The porch space is great, can keep 2x rucksacks in there easily and cook away.  I was a bit worried about head height, but I'm around 6ft and can sit upright with my head just shy of the top of the inner.  Only thing I need to do now is learn to pitch it and pack it away a lot, lot quicker :)

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2010 »

Oh, I made a mistake - wondered at the weight of the Tempest you noted so had a check: It was the Helium from the Force 10 range that I'd been looking at.

Make sure you get your tent buddy around to practice too so you are like a slick F1 pit crew (and the take-down/packing).

April is a great time for WHW - not too hot during day, not too cold at night.  The weather will likely be changeable but it's all pretty fresh!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

FlyFishing

• Newbie Poster
    • Fly Fishing
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2010 »

I've owned a number of tents and especially like the Eureka brand. In regard to rainy conditions - I'm pretty sure the rain here in Ontario, Canada is just as wet as the rain in Ireland when it comes down :).  A good quality tent with a fly and the addition of a ground sheet usually works well in all but the biggest downpours.

There is a great product I use here called "Seam Seal" by a company called Aquaseal/Trondak that is made for waterproofing tent seams. It works very well - have you heard of it over there?

Ian Scott

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010 »

There's a very comprehensive list of tent reviews here

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/

think outside, no box required

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2011 »

Looking for some advice on a good tent to travel to Australia/New Zealand with and use back here in the hills for our wet, windy weather. I'm going to be going solo, so looking for something reasonably lightweight, ideally sub 1500g. I'm going to be living in it for the best part of 6 weeks, so ideally something fairly rugged. I'd prefer a small 2 man tent, something roomy for just me, but that I could squeeze another person in if needs be. So far I like the look of the Vango Force 10 Helium. Any suggestions?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011 »

Hi Samm.  I recently bought a Vaude Hogan Ultralight I which comes in at just under 1500g.  Its listed as a two man tent, but it would be a bit of a squeeze so best for solo trips with room for an extra body if needs be.  It also has a porch which is big enough for storing your gear and cooking, an important consideration if you are backpacking and the weather turns sour!  The RRP is £250 but I managed to get mine for £100 which is a bargain.  Worth shopping around...

I also have a Vango Tempest 200 which is an awesome two man tent, but a bit heavy and overkill on space for solo trips.  I really rate the Vango tents highly, although haven't used the "Force 10" variants.  The Banshee 200 gets a great rep around here and the Force 10 Helium seems to be a similar design.  I think Cotswold at Boucher Rd have a Helium pitched in the store so at least you can go and check it out before buying! 

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011 »

I am currently bidding on a Mountain Equipment Sprite 1. There is one in Cotswold city centre for £125 which is reduced from £190. great one man tent for a solo and it is roomy aswell.
No one goes inside to clear their head

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011 »

At the other end of the scale, I just bought a Vango Orchy 500, so I'll let you know how that works out over the summer (well it's not quite the end of the scale, considering our other family tent is a 9-man Sunncamp Horizon)

The Orchy is a featherweight at 12kg compared to the Horizon's 28kg.

I bet they're both roomier than the Sprite.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011 by DryBag »

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011 »

Just seen this in Trail
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Brand/Terra_Nova/Tents/Laser_Ultra_1_Tent.html

560gm for £650  :o :o that's divorce material
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]