Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: River Blackwater to Coney  (Read 4546 times)

brendanmcc

• Newbie Poster
River Blackwater to Coney
« on: June 10, 2012 »

Hi all
Any one have experience of paddling the river Blackwater to coney?  Planning an outing with family and friends (all adults) for a paddle/ camp and would like a bit of guidance on how long it might take.  Thinking of starting at Moy.  Any one paddled this?
Brendan

FlapJack

• Top Poster
Re: River Blackwater to Coney
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012 »

Great guides on canoe NI, routes, camp spots and distance guides with itineraries.

http://www.canoeni.com/canoe-trails/river-blackwater/
“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012 »

Hi there,

I'm sure there are more experienced paddlers than me out there, but I’ve paddled that stretch of river a fair bit over the last year so here’s my two cents……….

The Canoe Association of Northern Ireland run recreational paddles on the Blackwater regularly – their trip usually starts at Blackwatertown , stops at Moy for lunch and continues onto the Argory. That trip usually takes about six or so hours, although there is a fair amount of faffing about. 

There are numerous put in points on the Blackwater, and therefore numerous options. You could start at the Argory (Bond’s Bridge) or also at Verner’s Bridge. These are a couple of miles further down river from Moy.

How far you can travel in a day will very much depend on your level of paddling. Remember, you’re slowest paddler will be setting the pace. Safety first and all that - when it comes to water, you really don’t want to f**k about.

I would suggest you leave plenty in the tank for the final crossing over to Coney from Maghery slip.
This last stage of your trip will be over open water, and depending on the weather (wind speed/direction) can really be a test of endurance for the less experienced paddler.

Flapjack’s right – check out the Blackwater Canoe Trail online – this’ll give you a better idea of distances etc.

All in all, it’s a great trip to take if you get the chance. Let the warden on Coney (Pete) know you’re staying over and he’ll make you more than welcome. (07887 827230)

Drongo

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012 »

Good points - It is a nice, flat, slow moving river suitable for novice paddlers.  Coney is lovely and it feels like you are a million miles from anywhere even though it's only a 10min paddle from Maghery Slip.  Good for spotting Kingfishers.

Bad points - Not much of a view due to the high banks, if the wind is from the North it's a tiresome paddle with not a lot of shelter.  On two occasions I've been buzzed some local a**h***s who visit the river in jetski's and seem to enjoy getting as close as they can as fast as they can to canoe's and kayaks.  Open lough can be rough in bad weather.
I'm Not Drunk...!!!  I'm Irish, there is a Difference...

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]