Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Rescue  (Read 8938 times)

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
Rescue
« on: June 08, 2009 »

A certain coach once told me:

"If you're foolish enough to go out when you're not good enough, and you capsize, don't be assuming I'll come and rescue you.  I know my limits, and my first priority is to go home after the paddle.  My second priority is to look after the rest of the group who don't take silly risks.  If I have time after that, maybe I'll consider coming and getting you."

Of course the same coach was first on scene to rescue me when I capsized the next weekend, but it makes me think about the risks I'm taking and the risks I'm putting on other people when I'm pushing my limits.

In fact I intend to use the same speech myself when I eventually get to be a coach.

What does anybody else think?

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
Re: Rescue
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009 »

Dont really hold to that John i've been kayaking for 3 months got my level 1, at present i'm kayaking at shaws bridge when theres at least 3 qualified instuctors present who i may add are excellent and put everyone at ease and make it fun.
I capsize every session and get resuced and as all the instructors say if you dont try you dont learn and thats wot they are there for to push you that little bit further as you progress and if it wasnt for them i'd never be surfing the white water there and loving it and getting more confident as the weeks pass.
I really look forward to every saturday to try something new or practice my strokes to become a more competent and better kayaker and without the odd capsize due to pushing myself a bit further i would never get there.  ;D

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009 »

I have to agree slightly but i think perhaps he was refering to the pecking order of safety, self, others floating and then the capsized person.

Self: Know your limits, is it safe, how do i keep myself safe.
Floating others : are the others in your group safe? what can be done to get them safe
capsized : is it safe to rescue them? will others in the group or yourself be compromised saving the capsizee?

Worse case senario, is it better to ensure the majority of groups returns whilst one perishes?  Its hard to explain this without sounding cold.

I think what your coach was trying to say is know your limits, I cant imagine anyone wouldnt try to rescue you.

hard to explain ....
Fun is not a straight line

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009 »

I think the sentiment of not going at these things gung-ho is absolutely right - people need to be aware that water is incredibly dangerous if you don't act sensibly. However sometimes I think when it comes to highly experienced people explaining that sort of thing to newbies they can sometimes come across as a bit smug. If someone said
If I have time after that, maybe I'll consider coming and getting you
to me I'd likely say something rude back. I totally appreciate what the guys trying to say but theres no reason not to be a bit sensitive about it and if he's dealing with someone that he feels has such a bad attitude that he can't talk to them like a normal person then maybe he shouldn't be taking them on the water.

Just my tuppence, don't flame me :D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009 by jonno »

Neiltoo

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009 »

As has already been mentioned it's possible that the statement doesn't come accross quite as the 'certain coach' intended, although it's kind of hard to take
If I have time after that, maybe I'll consider coming and getting you
at anything other than face value.

I paddle pretty much on my own all the time (by choice). This makes me look at any risks involved pretty closely as I know its unlikely that there will be anyone around to help if I get in trouble. It doesn't mean that I don't take risks, just that I am aware of them.

The whole culture of risk assesment is what has led  councils to close playgrounds in case children get hurt and increased the insurance costs in loads of sports. Taken too far it stiffles everything.

people need to be aware that water is incredibly dangerous if you don't act sensibly.

Agreed but so is crossing the road - It is in human nature to take risks, if we didn't we would still be using stone tools.

You need to be aware of risk in whatever you do. Then you can make a decision as to whether or not you are prepared to take that risk, and possibly put others at risk by your actions.... and if you get it wrong? well, thats natural selection at work ;)

2 favorite quotes:

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
- Helen Keller

"When all the dangerous cliffs are fenced off, all the trees that might fall on people are cut down, all of the insects that bite are poisoned...all of the grizzlies are dead because they are occasionally dangerous, the wilderness will not be made safe. Rather, the safety will have destroyed the wilderness." - R. Yorke Edwards

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009 by Neiltoo »
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]