Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Bearnagh, Meelmore & Meelbeg  (Read 5673 times)

Windy

• Top Poster
Bearnagh, Meelmore & Meelbeg
« on: February 28, 2014 »

Combined  this as a trip with some reviews on kit taken

Left Base camp in Castlewellan around 8:30 and started up towards Hares Gap from Meelmore Lodge. Weather was exceptional with the odd WWII plane flying over Hare’s Gap made the journey up extremely pleasurable

Approach to Hare's Gap

On arrival at Hare’s Gap coffee break was taken. I always pack a flask  (Berghaus 1 ltr Stainless Steel flask which is extremely durable and robust, this  flask will stand up to the rigours of everyday walks and hillside hikes with ease and its  1 litre capacity is  big enough to keep your water piping hot for 6 + hours , and  compact enough to fit neatly into the rucksack or daysac. Only drawback would be holding food .Grand for soups etc as the dispenser at the top is designed so not to unscrew the top of.

Coffee at Hare's Gap

In the pic is myself with a Berghaus  Freeflow 35+8. I find it extremely comfortable and easily holds enough for a two day hike a comfortable rucksack which allows you to hike in comfort thanks to Freeflow V backsystem, giving minimal contact area, and a gap between your rucksack and your back to allow airflow and reduce sweat which actually does work .The  EVA breathe®Matrix Foam technology, lets air flow and vapour move through the rucksack  .It also has 2x walking pole holders . 5 exterior Pockets  -1 x top , 2x side (long) , 1 x front and one bottom for showerproof rain cover  which doubles as a waterproof seat

Camelbak attached to front

As its Hydration pack compatible it allows  me to stay hydrated on the move .I use a 2 ltr Camelback which I attach to the outside (easier to fill up and in camp remove and avoids unnecessary leaks)

I like the separate compartment at the bottom  which can be accessed from outside .It can be made into one large compartment or two separate (This normally where I would have my Tent A Vango Tempest 200 has withstood the rain and strong winds! and can  be pitched  in minutes and likewise for taking it down. It is a two person tent with a large porch area for the Rucksack, boots etc. Quite lightweight and waterproof.

Pic is from Internet

Headed up Bearnagh which is tough going and personally the hardest in the Mournes ,Cracking views though when clear.

It has great rock formations , nooks and cranny’s to shelter you from the wind and the descent to Meelmore can get tough

I use a  Karrimor Global 900 Lite as my maggott  does the job with a self inflating mat. I cook on a Trangia 27  a gas converter and also have the burner depending on my mood.I find it easier for Larger meals when in base .

A gentle day out covering 3 peaks  . Wore Berghaus Sarak  boots (had them for years) . Mountain equipment stretch trousers ,wind and showerproof with ventilation. Couple of base layers ,wick vests short and long sleeve with neck zip great to open when overheating. Have a  North Face waterproof with a padded shell for the heat at night.

Route and Elevation

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Bearnagh, Meelmore & Meelbeg
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014 »

Brilliant trip review and even better seeing what gear you used and what you thought of it. Thanks for sharing!

I'd agree about Bearnagh, it's definitely one of the best peaks in the Mournes, especially for camping on but boy is it a tough climb. Especially with a full rucksack.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014 »

Nice report windy!

Bernagh is a beast but I think it's one of my favourites in the Mournes, if you get the chance and the right weather, have a go at camping on the summit, you'll have a great night!
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014 »

Good work Windy. I am going tomorrow to do slieve loughshannagh, meelbeg, meelmore and bernagh and back via the mourne way and its going to be wet wet wet. Camera will stay at home I think.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014 »

Seems like a good days walking Windy.  T-shirts for coffee break, can't be bad at that.

The Tempest is a good wee tent, I've used the 300 (2013) on a few occasions.  Vango do tents well.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]