Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: 1 Year a WILDER 1 Year a WISER  (Read 8373 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
1 Year a WILDER 1 Year a WISER
« on: December 20, 2013 »

This following wee write up is a look at my first year on NI-WILD from our first hike back in the Mournes in about 20yrs to an amazing Christmas camp with about 25 other bods and a full Christmas dinner and a few wee libations.

It all started at the end of last year on a day out at Castlewellan forest,  the son and I had completed the maze and were standing in the raised centre gazing at the Mournes and he says" "dad can we go up there" that was it the spark that reignited my interest in hiking and camping in the Mournes.

It was home and onto the old tinter net looking for a few wee walking routes and stumbled upon this excellent forum called NI-WILD and that was it talk about inspiration, with all the write ups, reviews and photos we couldn't wait to get started.

Our first foray back into the Mournes was a hike up to Hares gap and along the Brandy Pad for a bit then back down to the car where I thought I was gonna have a heart attack and the wee fella was still bouncing  limitless energy wish I had it but that was us HOOKED!!!

Next up a week or two later, up the Banns rd too Lough Shannagh and our first summit Doan.

012 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

026 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

018 by Glenn B119, on Flickr
stopping here for a bit of lunch and to take in the views before heading back to the car via Slieve Loughshannagh and Carn.

This old hiking lark is easy so next it was Donard which was anything but easy but hay we made it in a misty cold old day no views so no photos sorry!!
After this we decided on a spot of camping was on the cards.  A lot of info was milked out of various forum members on what type of gear was needed and used by them what they thought of it and best deals on where to get it (THANKS GUYS) and camping spots where to go and how to get there..

First night under the stars was Annalong wood.

021 (2) by Glenn B119, on Flickr

022 (2) by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Where we met our first forum member Scribble who was not some internet forum nut job (what gets into our wives heads) just a normal guy who made our first night out very enjoyable.  Still think your mad going back down to get the wine though lol.
The rain came on in the small hours and chucked it down so it was up in the morning packing up soaked to the skin and back down the path which now could only be described as a river. Back at the car and me and the son grinning from ear to ear like two drowned rats there was no putting him off now I was on to a winner....

Next up was the Spinkwee river camp with another forum member SpecimanYak.

005 (2) by Glenn B119, on Flickr

099 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

042 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Another great night was had this was our first camp that also involved a bit of a hike..

SNOW

The Easter Camp was next our first organised NI-WILD camp and it was awesome, the fact that the whole of the Mournes were covered in a thick blanket of snow really made this camp for us a few of us took a dander on up towards the steps at the foot of the climb up to the wall at Donard  truly breath taking views.

126 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

123 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

129 by Glenn B119, on Flickr
We also had an Easter egg hunt for the kids and a raffle for the adults which yours truly won.  An NI -WILD hip flask very handy ahem ahem thanks guys..

130 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

We managed to squeeze in one more camp at annalong wood before we wrapped it up waiting on the cooler weather to come again this was always going to be a winter thing for us a lot of other stuff going on for us over the spring and summer months..

Managed another group camp in Annalong at the End of Summer camp where we met a few more members. Forgot my camera so no pics sorry..

Up next was another camp somewhere new for us with a few friends who had yet to do any wild camping Fri 13th Gibbs Island

199 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

195 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

085 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

080 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

We found out about this wee spot through the forum on a trip report thanks Dowser a fantastic spot for a quick low key overnighter.  We had an absolute blast first time cooking steaks over an open fire de lish our friends seemed to enjoy it to as the also joined us on our next camp back to Annalong wood a few weeks later..

New gear and finding Percy Bysshe Cave write up is on the blog so just a few pics!!!

054 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

030 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

026 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

020 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Squeezed in a wee bit of pike fishing before or next trip into the hills..Bit of a slow start to our pike season this year with no big doubles so far  :(

266 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

265 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

253 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

250 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

245 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

255 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

264 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Back into the hills now and another first for us "Lets do Bernagh" he say's.

We put a short notice invite up on the forum for this and were joined by LandyLiam who ended up following us from the garage at Clough as we were both running late but ended up there before us HA HA work that out.

Started off at the Cecil Newman car park straight up the Trassey Track and right up by the quarry Liam was doing guide for the day which was good cause I didn't know where we were going anyway, "better to do the steep part first" in for a penny and all that. Up to the wall between Meelmore and Bernagh something was wrong I was still feeling good, fresh and plenty of life in the legs which was good because what came next sorted that out yes Liam was right it was very steep but not the slog that is Donard my previous summit nightmare I was enjoying this.. and in what seemed no time at all we were on the summit enveloped in thick cloud so it was out of the wind and a drink and a bit of lunch at which point Liam got a call from home and had to shoot off (he was a skud anyway) he was only away two mins and the sun came came out what a sight the whole of the eastern Mournes laid out before us.

027 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

028 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

029 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

016 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

031 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

After exploring around the two summit torrs it was down to hares gap another wee ten minute breather then straight down Trassey back to the car.  Another great day in the Mournes and another mountain ticked Thanks Liam..

And last but by no means least The 2013 NI-WILD Christmas Camp+Feast of epic proportions.
What can I say? ABSOLUTLY OUTSTANDING sums it up for me.

034 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

021 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

041 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Its been a FANTASTIC year thanks to everyone who was a part of it one way or another we have met some great people through this and are looking forward to meeting a lot more for more adventures in the big outdoors...  And a big thank you to my son for that FIRST SPARK!

Glenn  ;)

Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: 1 Year a WILDER 1 Year a WISER
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013 »

We put a short notice invite up on the forum for this and were joined by LandyLiam who ended up following us from the garage at Clough as we were both running late but ended up there before us HA HA work that out.
I just followed my sat nav  ;)

Great write up Glenn, you've now successfully completed your first years probabation and passed with flying colours, your mission for next year, should you chose to accept it, is to do a summit camp :)
think outside, no box required

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
1 Year a WILDER 1 Year a WISER
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013 »

Awesome write up! You've achieved so much over the year, kudos to you and your son!

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013 »

Fair play and well done on a fantastic year!
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013 »

Brilliant writeup Glenn. Glad you had a good year, hope you have more excitement planned for next year!

Where was that pike fishing? I'd be up for a bit of that action :)

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013 »

Great write-up and fantastic photos Glenn, and what a fun packed year yourself and Tom have had. Now that you've got rid of you 'L' plates, you 'll both be out bivvying on mountain summits after rock-climbing up there. Here's to many more camps.  :)

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013 »

Good work Glen and good for you getting the lad out and enjoying the outdoors. I hope to do something similar with mine in a few years, he is only 3 months old at the min so still slightly too young! Good photos too, keep up the good work.

Phil.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013 »

Great wee summary Glenn.  The last year has been a great adventure for you both. As the pics show (or sometimes the lack of) this year has thrown every type of weather at us, but there is always fun to be had outdoors :)
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013 »

Hi Glenn, thanks for the pictures and write up, it's great to see that your out and having a blast.

Hopefully il get a catch to meet up with you soon.

RB
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013 »

Thanks guys it was only the other day when looking through all our photos that we realised we had actually done as much stuff as we had even though we had the summer months off so to speak. it really surprised me how much we had got in through the year and what knowledge we had gained. Looking forward now to next year and hopefully more new experiences for us (a bivvy at some stage is a must) idont know if Tom is keen on this though he's been on about trying a hammock lol so roll on next year...
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013 »

Great write up and looks like you have had a busy year , as for the mad dash from camp to get wine it made for some looks from the wife when Owen squealed on me  ;D . here's to another a busy year
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014 »

This excellent writeup has been immortalized for all time in the NI-Wild Blog.

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/12/1-year-a-wilder-1-year-a-wiser/

Please give it a share on Facebook / Twitter or your social media network of choice so as a wide an audience as possible can appreciate it's genius!

Anyone can get their musings into the blog, just post something interesting on NI-Wild with at least some text and if possible, pictures and the blog fairy will do the rest. Anything is admissible - trip reports, advice and gear reviews are especially welcome.

Please contact if you would like any changes or a login for the Blog

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]