Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Axes ahoy  (Read 4231 times)

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Axes ahoy
« on: April 06, 2013 »

Axes ahoy

With all this unexpected snow I was chomping at the bit to have an adventure in the hills & with our planned Donard summit camp cancelled due to severe weather I just had to take advantage of Eamons offer to scale Bernagh.

IMG_1736 by paul surginor, on Flickr
Leaving the house at around 9am the conditions were pefect,the sky was clear with a temperature of around four degrees,making our way along the Trassey road you could really see just how much snow this area got last week with huge pile of snow stacked up along the hedge row,the road itelf was only open to single lane traffic.Parking our car at Meelmore lodge we trekked along the path which leads to the to the first stile of the day.the snow was so deep here that we simply stepped over the wall.

IMG_1759 by paul surginor, on Flickr

IMG_1825 by paul surginor, on Flickr

Making our way across the ground below Spellack it was great to feel the crushing of snow underfoot,now further up the valley we agreeded  it would be best to cross the frozen Trassey river at the ford.It was here we got our first glimpse of Bernagh which was still covered in snow.Unknown to Eamon I was a wee  bit worried about  this hike for a number of reason,firstly that I’ve put on some weight & secondly that following a torn abductor last year I was concerned about damaging it further.Nearing Hares gap I felt quite good actually, I put this down more  to the childish anticipation of playing in the snow rather that some renewed physical strength .The climb up throught the boulder field on the approach to Hares gap it always a nightmare this time it was a snow covered joy,not a boulder in sight.

IMG_1872 by paul surginor, on Flickr

IMG_1898 by paul surginor, on Flickr

Again the wall & stile were covered in snow,we stopped for a good 15 minutes enjoying some turkey sandwiches & much need caffine.time to get all serious & strap some ironware to our boots,eamon was sporting the full crampons with myself wearing a spiked chain which secured over the  boot,eammon also carried a ice axe,I can remember fixing this gear to my boots thinking I wonder do I really need it,the answer was quite simply , “ yes  “ within 1 minute of leaving Hares gap we were faced with the Black stairs leading up onto Bernagh,the amount of snow & ice on them was unreal,it was one of those moments when everything gets real in a big hurry.We decided at the point we were just going to take as much time as we needed to scale this mountain.so having pasted the Black stairs we made our way towards the main ascent on Bernagh which is towards the North tor,this would be the most dangerous part & worth considering some time on which way to tackle it,most of the snow was held up against the wall with huge sheets of ice as well.With each step I made sure I dug my boots in, trying to hold onto the mountain,it was quite a surprise to me just how easy this ascend was for us,now looking round us we did notice some hikers without ironware struggling to get a grip on the mountain.

IMG_1921 by paul surginor, on Flickr

IMG_1956 by paul surginor, on Flickr

Panorama546 by paul surginor, on Flickr

The summit itself was laden with a heavy blanket of snow with some drift towards the wall up to 6-8 feet in places.Again it was coffee time with chocolate mini eggs.The sun now came out in all its glory which caused a glare,”time for the snow goggles “ which were great & really helped our sight.Picking a safe area we practised  arrested falls using an ice axe which was quite good fun,but on a more serious note something I would like to learn more around.

Panorama545 by paul surginor, on Flickr

Panorama544 by paul surginor, on Flickr

Panorama541 by paul surginor, on Flickr

Now we did plan to descent down the Bernaghs southern slope towards the Meelmore Col but having had a good look we thought there was just too much snow on it & with the rising temperature the risk of avalanche was just too high,so we went back the way we had come,reaching Hares gap around 4pm.It was truly a fantastic day in the hills,sitting in my work today I was still buzzing from our adventure in the snow with a cosent grin on my face,sometimes its just nice to remind yourself you’re alive.

some footage from our day out- 

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
Re: Axes ahoy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013 »

Thanks for pictures and write up lads, hope you two had a ball.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Axes ahoy
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013 »

This excellent writeup has been immortalized for all time in the NI-Wild Blog. You can see it here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/04/ice-axes-ahoy/

Please contact if you would like any changes or a login for the Blog

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Axes ahoy
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013 »

Super write up and pics. Video was great it all looked like a grand day out well done in even getting up to the summit in those conditions I'm sure it was tough on the legs.

Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]