Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Women with Altitude 2013  (Read 7319 times)

Are we there yet?

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Women with Altitude 2013
« on: December 18, 2012 »

From their FB page https://www.facebook.com/WomenWithAltitudeIreland

http://www.womenwithaltitude.ie/

Unfortunately we’ve had to change the date for Women With Altitude 2013 to avoid clashing with a major adventure race taking in the Glendalough Valley on the same weekend. This event could involve more than 500 participants.

No matter how well we manage these events, having so many extra people in the Glendalough area could result in traffic congestion and frustration for other visitors and local residents. We have decided the responsible thing to do is to bring Women With Altitude forward by one week.

The new dates are Friday 12th to Sunday 14th April. Please spread the word to anyone you know who is interested in Women With Altitude 2013.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012 by AnnieAnne »

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Women with Altitude 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012 »

Good thread Anne,glad to see more woman involving themselves in outdoor pursuits

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013 »

going to book this next week.. any other ladies on here interested?  KG would you be up for it?

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013 »

I would indeed.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013 »

I would indeed.

Happy days.. i havent spoke to her yet, but im sure Bumble will be up for it too  :)

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013 »

What is this event?  Might be interested

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013 »

Hi Claire

Women with Altitude is a yearly meet in different locations around Ireland, its in Glendalough this year from the 12th - 14th April. There are various activities and workshops to choose from to suit all needs.

In short, these are the activities to choose from

Full day activities available are: Hard Hillwalk, Scrambling, Medium Hillwalk, Mountain Environment walk, Mountain navigation - beginners & improver's, Multi-pitch climbing

Half day activities: Easy Hillwalk, Ropework for hillwalkers, Beginners climbing, Digital photography, Technical climbing skills, Bouldering Skills, Short Scramble, Mountain running, River Ascent, Introduction to Mountain Biking

Take a look at the webpage http://www.womenwithaltitude.ie/

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013 »

Women with Altitude has been and gone for another year, and what a fantastic experience and tremendous success! 
The whole week-end was so well organised, there was never a dull moment.
We had Orienteering on the Friday, and our group of 3 came second! We won Berghaus hats, not bad for our first attempt!
We also recieved goodie bags at registration containing a Berghaus Women with Altitude top, smartwool socks among other thing... Berghaus were sponsers of the event. 
For anyone that has never attended one of these yearly meets, I cant recommend it enough! the instructors were first class and it's worth mentioning that they do this on a voluntary basis. Lots of ladies attended alone, and there was such high spirits within the group as a whole, it really didnt matter, lots of teamwork, laughter and a chance to meet other like minded females!
Saturday was our chosen event.. I chose Navigation, but the choices were endless, from water ascents, to mountain biking! and Sunday we had various workshops from Nutrition for the hills, looking after your gear to yoga.. and of course guest speakers with lots of interesting trips reviewed.

this is the blog I did for the week-end

Friday April 12th 2013

Clothes and boots nik waxed Check
Suitcase packed with said items and other essentials Check
Travel companion safely seated in car Check
A handful of nerves in tummy Check

This meant only one thing - ROAD TRIP

Destination….. Glendalough… Women with Altitude 2013 meet

OHHHH YES!

We had a pleasant journey down and were ecstatic to arrive at such a beautiful location.. After meandering around the graveyard and walking around the lake, we decided it was time for a beer…. Well, we were having a child-free weekend after all, and, trust me, that doesn’t happen often!

After a hassle-free registration, we were told there was going to be a spot of orienteering…. Uh Oh, never done this before?! After teaming up with the dynamite ladies, Pam & Gail, we set off in search of our markers. We were the first to set off closely followed by team two. After both teams missing our first two markers, things didn’t look to good. But, there was a true spirit of the event here, as we worked together to find the markers, telling each other when we located one. Teamwork!
When we located the last two (ahem 1st two) markers, it was a dash to the registration room to clock our time and catch our breath… 55 minutes, phew!
After some well deserved delicious sandwiches , the winners were announced, we had taken 2nd place! Very closely followed by team 2! We were all victorious in our own right, but no match for the ultra team at 45 minutes!

Next morning we assembled into our groups to see what the day held for us.. Brockagh mountain it was to be, with Helen, our very knowledgeable instructor for a short bus journey.
Arriving at our destination we had a quick recce of the area, and then it started, the rain I mean, and boy did it rain! But hey! Poor visibility + torrential rain = perfect navigation conditions! I can’t begin to tell you how much I enjoyed it!
Now, you see, anyone that knows me, knows my passion for hill walking in the Mournes. I love to walk deep within them, but, my confidence to use navigation has always let me down. The Mourne Wall has always been my handrail, and I longed to be free from it.
On the day with Helen’s knowledge, guidance and patience I had an epiphany! (strange as it may seem lol) I finally realised were I was going wrong!

A quick mention about the weather on the day. Yes it was dire, but not once did anyone suggest we leave early from the mountain, we plodded along enjoying Helen’s expertise and knowledge, not only regarding navigation, but also plant life and wildlife, pointing out the smallest of interesting facts.
Everyone still in high spirits tramped back to the bus, soaked to the skin from top to bottom, no amount of nikwax could have endured that weather!

My boots were still slightly wet on the Tuesday after, but still filled with enthusiasm, and confident with my refreshed skills, I excitedly took to the hills. Fresh, confident and raring to go! Nothing too hectic, just around the lower Mournes.

I took multiple bearings, used features, contours, rivers, junctions etc
I did make one mistake, but saw this as constructive and corrected it effectively. I returned to my starting point jubilant and gave a quiet “Whoop Whoop”
This wouldn’t have happened had I not gone on the Women With Altitude weekend and had such great instruction!

Thank you to all involved, and lovely to meet other like-minded ladies!

See ya’ll next year

Typo-On

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013 »

Sounds like an epic weekend :) nice follow up.

I think I saw the top you all got on Saturday being sported at the ozone and of course I asked had she been and did she meet you, I want one even though its pink :)
'Why are you wearing your pajamas?'
'They're not pajamas! It's my warm-up suit'
'Why do you need warming up for?'
'For doing stuff'
'What kind of stuff?'
'Super-cool stuff you wouldn't understand'
'Like sleeping?'

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Women with Altitude 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013 »

Brilliant write up!! I'm disappointed I wasn't able to go, but will definitely be going next year after reading your blog.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013 »

Excellent write-up, congrats on the navigation and great to see the skills learned on the day are now proving their worth.

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013 »

This excellent writeup has been immortalized for all time in the NI-Wild Blog. You can see it here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/04/women-with-altitude-2013/

Please contact if you would like any changes or a login for the Blog

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013 »

Epic weekend it was!!

The best part was Saturday's navigation!
Who'd have thought walking on a mountain during 7 hours of torrential rain could be so much fun!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013 by Are we there yet? »

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]