Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Bank Holiday Lake Side Camp  (Read 7798 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Bank Holiday Lake Side Camp
« on: May 07, 2012 »

I have been mad keen to get another night under canvas and had been watching the Sunday 6th into Monday 7th Thread closely hoping a kid friendly car camp like Bloody Bridge would rear it's ugly head.  I had my two wee ones this weekend and there was no way I could have carried all the gear I would have needed to the Cascade River site even if it is one of my favourite camp sites in the Mournes.

A mate of mine has been telling me for years about a Lake he owns but for some reason I never really thought too much about it, until Friday that is and I decided to check it out. 

What I found was amazing... It's five minutes from my house, totally private, fully accessible by car and to top it all off I have full permission to shoot and fish there for free.

After my recce on Friday afternoon I loaded up the car with all my gear, bundle in the kids and set off on my two mile drive to the campsite.

Here's a few pics of the quick overnighter... It's an Outdoorsy persons heaven!!!

Saturday evening 6pm - Blue Skies and no wind.

10pm and the Frost had arrived

The morning after

Toasty Warm... Having a nice lie in till the frost cleared

What a place to wake up... Another crackin' sunny day

It's also a brilliant place to launch my Canadian for a spot of paddling/fishing

Full access by car

Swans drop in to say hello and add the final touches to the picturesque scenery

;D
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
Re: Bank Holiday Lake Side Camp
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012 »

Fabulous!  Great to see you getting the kids involved so early in their lives too...wish I'd got into this much younger

Looks an amazing spot...
Do not feed the bear

Spud

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012 »

Looks like a great spot dowser! What type of fish are in the lake?

Pudd

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012 »

It definitely does look like an amazing spot.  Untouched too!
The only downside to going outdoors is having to come back inside.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012 »

nice one dowser, love this pick

you definitely got the better night this weekend, we woke up to heavy rain after our wee garden camp last night
think outside, no box required

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012 »

you definitely got the better night this weekend, we woke up to heavy rain after our wee garden camp last night

Was thinking that myself... I might not have been as impressed with the Lake as I was if I had woke up to the torrential rain that we got this morning.

The weather Saturday night and Sunday morning was just perfect  :)
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012 »

we had a lovely evening oursleves last night, lit a wee fire in the garden and watched the moon rise

think outside, no box required

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012 »

Me too!

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012 »

Looks like an awesome spot. Hope you took a rod to catch your breakfast :)

noble98

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012 »

Looks like my kinda place

We had been away this weekend also and when we arrived back tonight your little jay dashed across the street bursting with excitment to tell us all about your camping trip. Sounds like he really loved it! We had been at the mournes so nathan and jay compared notes.

I will have to do a post with photos but in brief we hiked to the the donard commedagh saddle on friday evening and camped out.  Then on saturday morning we continued on up to donard summit. Amazing weather and amazing trip. The kids did amazing.

I fancy a trip to your secret lake sometime.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012 »

Interesting to see you mention the frost, I was out camping myself and I did feel a wee bit chilly during the night.  What sleepings bags were the kids in, 3 season?  I suppose there is a bit of warmth all being in the same tent as well.

I will have to do a post with photos but in brief we hiked to the the donard commedagh saddle on friday evening and camped out.  Then on saturday morning we continued on up to donard summit. Amazing weather and amazing trip. The kids did amazing.

I'd look forward to seeing this, I did intend to camp up there a wee while ago but the wind changed our minds.  All the while I was wondering whether there was much in the way of quality places to put a tent (or four as it was on this occasion).  I have camped there a few times but not in years and it seems to be a lot stonier now than what I remember it was like.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012 »

Dowser would there be enough room
For a NI Wild camp? I'm sure we could drop a few quid to your friend for the privilege of camping there..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012 »

Looks like my kinda place

We had been away this weekend also and when we arrived back tonight your little jay dashed across the street bursting with excitment to tell us all about your camping trip. Sounds like he really loved it! We had been at the mournes so nathan and jay compared notes.

I fancy a trip to your secret lake sometime.

It's brilliant getting the kids into the hill, especially when you get the weather for it.  A trip to the secret lake shouldn't be a problem at all.  Jay and Nathan would have a ball and we could squeeze in a bit of canoeing and fishing.  It will probably need to be in June because Jay and Lucy are away on their holidays soon and I've a trip to England last weekend in May.

Maybe first or second weekend in June?
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012 »

Interesting to see you mention the frost, I was out camping myself and I did feel a wee bit chilly during the night.  What sleepings bags were the kids in, 3 season?  I suppose there is a bit of warmth all being in the same tent as well.

For my camp by the lake I cheated a bit... The Kids were in 3-Season bags but because I had the car I also had an insulated picnic blanket on the ground, a double duvet over that, then the kids in their bags with their duvets off their beds over them also.  It was a crackin' wee nest for the evening. We would have been comfy at -40  ;)

Camping at the saddle and carrying all your equipment would have been a different story altogether... Well done Noble98  :)

I'll be waiting till the frost risk has gone before taking the wee ones up into the hills... Probably get a couple of days in August like that  ;D 

See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012 »

Dowser would there be enough room
For a NI Wild camp? I'm sure we could drop a few quid to your friend for the privilege of camping there..

There would be room for a few tents ok and a load of bivvyers.  The ground at the campsite is reclaimed with landfill and it's tricky getting pegs in.  Would be ideal for a mass Bivvy  :)
See the View

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]