Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Donard Solo Bivvy  (Read 5324 times)

ChuckMcB

Donard Solo Bivvy
« on: September 28, 2010 »

Got grounded the final night of Liam's Sleepy Sevens (sorry), so headed out late on the Saturday night.

Up from Donard Car Park at 9pm, hit Donard Summit by 1030. Summit too exposed for a bivvy but the sheep fold on the SW side was perfect. Back down the next morning via the Black Stairs. Pics. Not had time to tidy them up all that much (nor figure out why the uploaded videos don't work)

ps. The Black Stairs waterfall is def. worth a visit for any Donard Wood campers, very easy to get to from the wood (bit more tricky coming down from the top)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Donard Solo Bivvy
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010 »

Summit too exposed for a bivvy
pah, you're such a lightweight  ;D

you didn't bring a thermometer with you by any chance? i'm sure it much have been another baltic night, is bivvying in the snow a done thing?

edit:
just realised you did it in 1.5hrs  :o , took me 2.5  :'(
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010 by landyliam »
think outside, no box required

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010 »

pah, you're such a lightweight  ;D

you didn't bring a thermometer with you by any chance? i'm sure it much have been another baltic night, is bivvying in the snow a done thing?

Yep - I slept on the ridge of Mulhacen at 3000m late Nov with a sleeping bag and thermarest.  -12c  Best stars ever!

Seconded - the Black Stairs are cool.  Haven't tried going down that way though.  I went up them on a rainy day and pretended I was a Hobbit trying to get into Mordor....  ::)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010 »

Looks great. I've never been down the Black Stairs and didn't even know there was a waterfall  :o

Where exactly is the Sheepfold? Sounds like somewhere I need to try.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010 »

looks comfy spot, i've never seen the sheep fold before either...

ChuckMcB

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010 »

pah, you're such a lightweight  ;D
Took me a while to realise when you bivvy (esp. with a tarp) if you try to battle with nature (wind/rain/rocky ground)...you gonna lose ;D That and I like my wee fire.

I didn't but even when the fire went out I couldn't see my breath (unlike when I was coming up from Glen River when I could), so it couldn't have been that cold. I'm thinking bivving in the snow is a very done thing, as long as you have good insulation from the ground (army camp bed?)

just realised you did it in 1.5hrs  :o , took me 2.5  :'(
Yea, that seems to be my normal time for Donard when solo walking. 30 mins to break past the forest going up Glen River, then 30 minutes to the wall and 30 minutes to the summit.

Looks great. I've never been down the Black Stairs and didn't even know there was a waterfall  :o
It's def. somewhere I'm going to visit next time there is a freeze, it's maybe 20ft high, multiple levels, you can walk into the foot of it and narrow enough that touch both walls at the same time.

Where exactly is the Sheepfold? Sounds like somewhere I need to try.
Check out the route map, the red line shows me hitting the summit then dropping down about two contour lines to the sheepfold. (grid ref: J 357 276)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010 »

just realised you did it in 1.5hrs , took me 2.5   

i got to the top in 1hr 15 today  ;D i think i'm turning into a fitness freak  :o  i thought i'd try it in my running gear, it was so good not having a rucksack and overtake loads of people on the way up, a muscle on my knee  went at the saddle but i persevered to the top and had to take it a bit easy going down (50mins), i think i'm gonna hurt tomorrow!

so my next challenge is to break the hour, although i don't like doing donard, its a bit boring and nearly always cloudy at the top  :'( but with the winter coming its nice to know there are other people about when you go up alone without any gear, some nice people offered me a cup of tea at the saddle but i couldn't stop as i would have got cold with just my tshirt on

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010 »

1hr 15 is really impressive. Not carrying makes such a difference - I'm on the lookout for a waist pouch for this sort of stuff.

just realised you did it in 1.5hrs , took me 2.5   

i got to the top in 1hr 15 today  ;D i think i'm turning into a fitness freak  :o  i thought i'd try it in my running gear, it was so good not having a rucksack and overtake loads of people on the way up, a muscle on my knee  went at the saddle but i persevered to the top and had to take it a bit easy going down (50mins), i think i'm gonna hurt tomorrow!

so my next challenge is to break the hour, although i don't like doing donard, its a bit boring and nearly always cloudy at the top  :'( but with the winter coming its nice to know there are other people about when you go up alone without any gear, some nice people offered me a cup of tea at the saddle but i couldn't stop as i would have got cold with just my tshirt on

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010 »

i'm thinking the same to carry a waterproof for when i stop, but i tend to overpack so god knows what i'll end up stuffing into a wee pouch   >:(

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]