Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Tent lighting  (Read 5202 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Tent lighting
« on: February 13, 2015 »

I know there are a couple of examples of stupid price tents that have a ton of gizmos in them, but so far have seen nothing along the sensible lines (if anyone knows of some please put up a link). So I am thinking about making a small mod to a basic solo tent that will include lighting at a tiny weight allowance, so I am wondering for others on here how much lighting do they use in a tent and what form.

I will guess most folks tend to just be happy to use a head torch, but does anyone here use either a method of hanging a torch or a specific light for inside tents? If so generally how much light do you try to go for and how long do you have it lit up for?

I am thinking along the lines of something that will add around 25g tops to the tent weight, and will work on the lines of being compatible with a standard battery pack for a phone etc.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Tent lighting
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015 »

I picked this up in Tesco (i think  ??? ) for a couple of pounds (maybe less)

50g for the bulb, 5g for the clip, 25g for the AA battery (but you maybe be able to use a battery from your gps or headtorch)

It gives a brilliant light in the tent, and its easy to find the on/off button in the dark and has bright, dim & flashing modes highly recommended (only downside is that seems to drain the battery after a few days/weeks so have to remember to remove it when storing)

Another option for inside the tent is one of those tiny headtorchs that use button cell batteries, the energizer one cost around £5, very light (approx 40g with battery), you can sleep with it on and it doesn't get in the way. Silva Siju cost around £11 and weighs and only 30g.

think outside, no box required

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015 »

I'm thinking perhaps a few small but high lumen leds that are attached directly to the inner walls, then having a simple usb connector down near the floor so you can just plug in your power pack to switch it all on. It would mean the lighting etc would already be in place as soon as the tent goes up and so you can use it for getting your kit in the tent and sorted etc. Most of the led lights around now are only a few cm in length and 1/2g in weight so it would not effect the tent in any way and if you already carry a battery pack it is no extra weight.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015 »

I use one of those flexible Usb reading lights and plug it into my battery pack so it's more like a bed-side lamp. You can angle the light to where you need it, it's bright enough for the confines of a tent, weighs next to nothing and slips into any available gap in the rucksack.

Something like this: http://goo.gl/LBNwwA

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015 »

I have an Alpkit Glowe, and while it is not as light as the OP mentioned, it can be used as a basic torch as well as hanging it from any loop inside the tent.

And it uses AAA batteries...

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015 »

It's embarrasing how much I love torches ;) I ordered one of the USB LED stick lamps. Bargain for £1.99 delivered.

Any details on the make / model of the lightbulb shaped torch Liam?

Also, Spynappels, what do you think of the Alpkit Glowe as far as brightness / battery life goes?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015 »

Cotswold do them for a fiver (mine were defintely cheaper as I bought 3 of them  ;D )
although a quick check on ebay shows the cotswold price is rather good, especially when you get the ni-wild discount  ;)

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/blue-mountain-orb-light-with-karabiner-1w-91210054?id_colour=122
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015 »

That's still not a bad price. Would you rate them for brightness?

Cotswold do them for a fiver (mine were defintely cheaper as i bough 3 of them  ;D )

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/blue-mountain-orb-light-with-karabiner-1w-91210054?id_colour=122

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015 »

The Alpkit Glowe has a few brightness settings, I tend to use the dimmest 2.

The very dimmest is too dim to read by, but ok for seeing who you're talking to in a tent, and the next one up I can read by in my 2 man tent, just.

Battery life is as stated on the Alpkit site too, and 3 AAA batteries do not take up much room.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]