Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Are my boots dead?  (Read 6664 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Are my boots dead?
« on: January 14, 2015 »

My trusty best friends are starting to leak ive had them for years and they owe me nothing but they are super comfy and I really don't want to let them go. They are nubuck uppers event lined and if anyone has any advice as to how I can extend their lives id greatly appreciate it.. I dont want to loose them :'(
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: Are my boots dead?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015 »

Any idea how the water is getting in? I'm guessing if it's stitching it would be complex to fix.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015 »

Ive no idea where its getting in, the last really rough day I was out it absolutely chucked it down (Halloween camp) and both feet were soaked through. Im thinking they are probably just knackered, the fact they are both gone is making me think there's more of a chance of resurrecting the mummy in the museum than bringing these babies back to life.  :o

mrdosu

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015 »

Are they well waxed?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single commission voting to convene a committee to draw up guidelines.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015 »

They are now i spent the last couple of days rubbing in a whole tube of Nikwax Leather Wax but while I was doing this I noticed a few cracks in the leather so im not holding on to much hope, i'll just have to wait and see..

mrdosu

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015 »

Just asking because i forgot to do it on the xmas mournes trip and the boots soaked through in the rain immediatly.

After waxing them once properly again they stayed completely dry the next 3 weeks. It makes a lot of difference, more then I always think it would.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single commission voting to convene a committee to draw up guidelines.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015 »

Ive no idea where its getting in, the last really rough day I was out it absolutely chucked it down (Halloween camp) and both feet were soaked through.

Dry them well then fill with water and the leak will be obvious.

Ironically this happened to mine after I reproofed them, I wore them about once a week for a year and I don't think I ever cleaned them once, then feeling guilty I gave them a good clean them pulled out the laces to give them a good all over waxing, must have craked the leather after opening out the tongue  >:(
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

mrdosu

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015 »

I forgot to say when we was having beers, but I had a rip in the leather upper of my Meindls.

I fixed it with Loctite 4902 (flexible super glue) and although its not specifically made for leather it fixed the hole rather beatifully and permanently. The damage was right in the crease where the front bends and it still didn't open up again.

stinkyfinn

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015 »

Cheap and effective waterproofing, get yourself some 100percent silocone (clear) squirt a few spoonfulls in a jar or bowl pour in roughly two times to  as much turps or minral spirts in and mix, keep adding turps intill you get the consistency you want (thick oill) and then apply to all seams and stiching with a old stiff paint brush,, it works on coats,tarps and tents too, ive used it on most things exsept goretex, it works on softshell material too and i would say most things, its basicly the same stuff as you buy in a little tin for a tenner but you can make a gallon for 2quid, only make what you need as it dont store long,, if you want to keep it natural theirs bees wax mixed with linseed oill and turps,

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015 »

Sad to say folks but they're away to the dump, RIP old friends  ::)

stinkyfinn

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015 »

i would try clear silocin and white spirit mixid, and coat the boots with the mix, ive had good results with this waterproofing on everything from tarps/ponchos, boots ,coudoura and canvas and also softshell and gortex,, you might get a white resadue, on some iteams,, also hair wax is good for waterprofing,

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]