Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Kit list thoughts?  (Read 10512 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Kit list thoughts?
« on: April 17, 2014 »

I have been slowly moving away from general bushcraft style camping recently and leaning towards lightweight gear and minimal kit. With this in mind I have just done a quick run through of my kit I am hoping to see me pretty well through all summer & autumn and hopefully have a fine tuned set for this years MMM. Looking through this list is there anything anyone can point out I have overlooked and should consider including?

I realise some things could be removed to save weight but I am allowing myself a few luxuries and so nothing will be removed but at the same time I do not with to add too much to this list.

Food has been deliberately left blank as I am still playing around with making my own food to take in place of the silly price of commercial dried foods etc.

Cheer for any advice and thoughts offered.

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
Re: Kit list thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014 »

I'm no expert on lightweight kit for the MMM but the list looks pretty light to me.
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

© D H Lawrence. All rights reserved

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
Kit list thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014 »

I'd take the first aid kit right back to the very basic necessities. Looks good though I also need to do the same.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014 »

I'd take the first aid kit right back to the very basic necessities. Looks good though I also need to do the same.

I did consider that until thinking about injuries and such. I came to the conclusion that the kit i have will deal with anything non too serious, this means not asking for outside help which could jepordise a race situation. The only things my first aid kit cannot cope with are serious enough to be beyond patch up and hobble on injuries. In those cases your day out is over anyway.

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014 »

how do you find the turbo lighter. for me it's the most unreliable piece of kit I've ever bought!!!
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014 »

how do you find the turbo lighter. for me it's the most unreliable piece of kit I've ever bought!!!

What fuel are you using for it? One thing I discovered when reading up before buying is that standard lighter fuel is no good and will clog it up. It requires a fine butane fuel to use, you can get some cheaply in maplin. Just ask for their own brand butane gas for solder irons, works a treat then.

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014 »

Thanks Rich, I'll check it out

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014 »

It depends the comfort/weight balance you can be comfortable with.

If it was me I'd ditch the pillow and use a fleece as a pillow.

I'd also ditch the tent and waterproofs in the summer in favour of a poncho which acts as both waterproof covering and tent (I've slept in one it can be done)

Ditch the stove and cook over an open fire.

You'll be super lightweight like this, over time you'll get used to the adjustments.

If the poncho seems too severe maybe consider a Bivvy Bag.

Enjoy!
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014 »

Totally extreme Rusty!! I like it

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014 »

The MMM has a mimimum kitlist and it includes a stove and tent unfortunately. That said, <8kg is a cracking weight, makes me want to revisit mine.

Bluetooth headphones are a new one on me, what sort are they and what sort of usage time do they get?

It depends the comfort/weight balance you can be comfortable with.

If it was me I'd ditch the pillow and use a fleece as a pillow.

I'd also ditch the tent and waterproofs in the summer in favour of a poncho which acts as both waterproof covering and tent (I've slept in one it can be done)

Ditch the stove and cook over an open fire.

You'll be super lightweight like this, over time you'll get used to the adjustments.

If the poncho seems too severe maybe consider a Bivvy Bag.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014 by RedLeader »

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014 »

The headphones are last years Plantronics Backbeat go. If your willing to spend a little extra though get the backbeat go2 as they are slightly water resistant so takes the worry away if the rain etc. I can generally get about 4 hours on a full charge, but then I always carry a usb battery pack for both my phone and headtorch so I can recharge them if needed while out.

One thing to note is they are purely earphones though, and some other brand do include an fm radio too. Obviously you can't use the fm module of a phone with bluetooth earphones as it ha no antenna, so it depends how important that function is to you.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014 »

Well played around some more and got a few other bits of kit. Think I have got to the just about limit so far with how light I can go. Now to rob a bank for the last couple of bits desired. Think perhaps a best test will be a gentle two day walk of the Mourne wall come the start of July and see how things work or don't.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]