Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Tent footprint - useful?  (Read 7809 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Tent footprint - useful?
« on: April 11, 2014 »

The Liamster was kind enough to pick me up a very cheap footprint for my Vaude Hogan Ultralight. I put it all together in the garden last night and I'm pleased to see it's very light so well worth packing along with the tent.

The question is, what are they really for? Just added protection underneath or do they improve the waterproof quality of the base which is fairly thin. Also, if it is for waterproofing how does it help when water can easily run between the footprint and tent base?

whoRya

• Hero Poster
Re: Tent footprint - useful?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014 »

The Liamster was kind enough to pick me up a very cheap footprint for my Vaude Hogan Ultralight. I put it all together in the garden last night and I'm pleased to see it's very light so well worth packing along with the tent.

The question is, what are they really for? Just added protection underneath or do they improve the waterproof quality of the base which is fairly thin. Also, if it is for waterproofing how does it help when water can easily run between the footprint and tent base?

"Ultralight"  Isn't that what it is all about?  For Vaude to have an 'Ultralight' in their range they lighten up the fabrics, including the groundsheet.  But a lighter groundsheet is presumably less durable, hence they sell footprints.  So people believe their tent setup is say 1.3kg, whereas it is really 1.6kg (or whatever) taking the footprint into account.

I've often wondered about the issue of water getting between the footprint and groundsheet, could that create a worse situation for keeping the water at bay?

I've used a Vango Tempest a number of times that has a porch groundsheet as an additional attachment, but I'm beginning to think it is more hassle than it is worth.

When the wind blows rain under the flysheet the water consolidates on the porch groundsheet and this means that all the gear in the porch is sitting in a puddle all night.  On a slight slope, the porch is always up-slope from the sleeping pod, so the water that gets on to the porch groundsheet flows down towards the sleeping area.  Similarly all water that is brought in to the tent on waterproofs and boots transfers to the porch groundsheet also.   
"Not all those who wander are lost."

ranger rob

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014 »

The one that came with my family tent says its mainly to protect bottom off tent from mud and stuff. Adds a layer to ground for a bit of heat as in the old saying one under is better than two on top. insde i have the carpet and does make floor very warm well warmer than before used footprint anyway.

as packs in its own bag it keeps dirt of main tent when packed and prolongs life of my family tent. I have a colmans one man tent for hiking trips and carry a cheap tarp and use for same reason.

As for waterproofing your spot on rain runs off main tent on to footprint but does stop wet grass on set up so useful as place to set up on and break down tent if ground wet.

hope that helps

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014 »

Interesting. It is listed as weighing 174g and I'm guessing that includes the bag. Think I'll take it and see what happens. If nothing else the Mournes are very gravelly, at least it would protect the floor.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014 »

I've used a Vango Tempest a number of times that has a porch groundsheet as an additional attachment, but I'm beginning to think it is more hassle than it is worth.

When the wind blows rain under the flysheet the water consolidates on the porch groundsheet and this means that all the gear in the porch is sitting in a puddle all night.  On a slight slope, the porch is always up-slope from the sleeping pod, so the water that gets on to the porch groundsheet flows down towards the sleeping area.  Similarly all water that is brought in to the tent on waterproofs and boots transfers to the porch groundsheet also.   

I also have a Vango Tempest with the separate  groundsheet like you said WhoRya it can be more hassle than its worth .It does come in handy to use as a dry place to sit on  when stopping for brews etc , fits neatly into the pouch for the cover for the Bergan
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014 »

ungrateful sod  ;D

Actuallly if he didn't take it i was going to keep it for my Vaude tent, the groundsheet is certainly thin, and while it hasn't leaked  (and has has been used in some very wet conditions) it does seem to get damp and I don't like kneeling directly on when in the tent. I think it would be particularly handy for those summit camps where you don't get much choice of pitch and usually end up with a bit of the tent on some rough granite. I actually carry a small patch of spare groundsheet for such occasions. I haven't yet risked the vaude in the forest, although they usually have a short walk in I don't mind carrying the heavier Gelert.
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014 »

Sorry, I didn't word that very well. I really meant in what way is it useful rather than is it useful at all ;)

ungrateful sod  ;D

Actuallly if he didn't take it i was going to keep it for my Vaude tent, the groundsheet is certainly thin, and while it hasn't leaked  (and has has been used in some very wet conditions) it does seem to get damp and I don't like kneeling directly on when in the tent. I think it would be particularly handy for those summit camps where you don't get much choice of pitch and usually end up with a bit of the tent on some rough granite. I actually carry a small patch of spare groundsheet for such occasions. I haven't yet risked the vaude in the forest, although they usually have a short walk in I don't mind carrying the heavier Gelert.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014 »

;D
think outside, no box required

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]