Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Make Your Own Alcohol Stove  (Read 6750 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
Make Your Own Alcohol Stove
« on: April 02, 2014 »

Everyone loves a Trangia, the smell is nostalgic and the slow and gentle cooking is relaxing. Yes, all you people with multifuel stoves that sound like a helicopter landing and can cook a sausage in 10 seconds hate them but the rest of us find them gentle and nostalgic. Trangia burners are actually a very simple design that can be made from a normal drinks tin.

You can make one yourself with a minimum of fuss using things you can find around the house (or alas these days, lying around the outdoors). It requires some basic tools and can be sharp so make sure and get an adult to help and if you're making one from beer tins, after a few failures don't keep drinking the beer to provide the empty tin, that's probably where you're going wrong.

If you manage to make a working one, post a pic!

OldScout

• Newbie Poster
Re: Make Your Own Alcohol Stove
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014 »

I have made a few of these before and they have worked well for me.  If you are counting the grams they are really light weight but dont stand up to a lot of abuse. 

Loads of tutorials on youtube and internet for many different types too - penny stoves, coke can stoves etc.

I generally have stuck to the good old soft drink cans as they are everywhere and if you make a hash of one easy to replace if your fridge is well stocked - hmmm i think an experiment with reviews on different types of cans could be interesting - beer cans here i come :)

I will hunt out my surviving ones and try to get a few pics up.
Do not mess with the forces of Nature , for thou art small and biodegradable!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]