Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Firelogs  (Read 10631 times)

Windy

• Top Poster
Firelogs
« on: March 05, 2014 »

Any recommendations?
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Firelogs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014 »

If you mean the compressed peat firelogs then I've found they're all much of a muchness. I buy the 99p B&M ones these days. Every now and again I go and get 10 and just keep them in the garage. If you buy them anywhere else they can cost up to £3.99, although the more expensive ones are slightly bigger.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014 »

Do they last long?
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014 »

They usually last for a few hours but it depends on the weather really. You can also get them in Poundland as well and like RedLeader said it's a good idea to stock up on them, it saves stopping off on the way to a camp to pick them up.

Do they last long?

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014 »

At the moment Tesco has them for £1.69. burn time in windy conditions 1-1.5 hrs calm conditions  those things will last 2-3. There is a surprising volume of heat out of them.

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014 »

I understand the logs are impregnated with chemicals but...

has anyone cooked over these and if so how did it turn out?
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

© D H Lawrence. All rights reserved

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014 »

I understand the logs are impregnated with chemicals but...

has anyone cooked over these and if so how did it turn out?

Never tried it but I struggle to think they would be that good, as much as I would try to argue against the use of gas in favour of wood etc it really only works in the right situation. But then if you are lugging around a firelog I would assume it is because you have no access to wood, in this case it seems to make best sense to use the most weight/energy efficient method of cooking, in that case stick with a gas stove.

t18con

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014 »

I use the compressed chipboard type things (that's maybe what you're all talking about anyhow) and break 3/4 inch sections off (or cut them up before I head off) and burn one or two at a time in the bottom of disposable barbeque. band q sometimes do them very cheaply if you keep an eye open. a full log does us probably two nights camping like that.

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014 »

Never tried it but I struggle to think they would be that good, as much as I would try to argue against the use of gas in favour of wood etc it really only works in the right situation. But then if you are lugging around a firelog I would assume it is because you have no access to wood, in this case it seems to make best sense to use the most weight/energy efficient method of cooking, in that case stick with a gas stove.

I can't imagine how the food cooked on firelogs wouldn't become tainted with a chemical taste either but thought I might ask on the forum anyway.  Was thinking food wrapped quadrupley in tinfoil might work. The group don't mind carrying a few extra KG now and then.  Seen myself and a few mates lugging a couple of bags of logs from Meelmore Lodge, over Meelmore on to Lough Shannagh (#Revsi75 ending up thigh deep in a bog and devoured by sparrow sized midges - LOL).  Real pain in the arse might I add but the route was designed to be challenging.

I have a Jetboil for lightweight trekking but I'm looking for ideas for portable fuel for a small cooking fire that a group of friends can cook a sausage or two on or even maybe a marshmallow and talk crap well into the night.
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.

t18con

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014 »

lightweight portable barbeque, then keep it alight with the firelogs, works for us.

EDIT. sorry in rereading this meant disposable, no portable
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014 by t18con »

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
Firelogs
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014 »

lightweight portable barbeque, then keep it alight with the firelogs, works for us.

Cheers!  You've gimmie an idea.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014 by Kilimanjaro »
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014 »

I can't imagine how the food cooked on firelogs wouldn't become tainted with a chemical taste either but thought I might ask on the forum anyway.  Was thinking food wrapped quadrupley in tinfoil might work. The group don't mind carrying a few extra KG now and then.  Seen myself and a few mates lugging a couple of bags of logs from Meelmore Lodge, over Meelmore on to Lough Shannagh (#Revsi75 ending up thigh deep in a bog and devoured by sparrow sized midges - LOL).  Real pain in the arse might I add but the route was designed to be challenging.

I have a Jetboil for lightweight trekking but I'm looking for ideas for portable fuel for a small cooking fire that a group of friends can cook a sausage or two on or even maybe a marshmallow and talk crap well into the night.

I had a very unscientific experiment last night.  We all camped in the garden around a blazing pile of fire logs.  Pork and apple sausages were untainted and v delicious.  So were the marshmallows ;D

Highland Park was little smoky though.........
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014 »

I had a very unscientific experiment last night.  We all camped in the garden around a blazing pile of fire logs.  Pork and apple sausages were untainted and v delicious.  So were the marshmallows ;D

Highland Park was little smoky though.........

Sill dubious but will prob have a go cooking a pork and apple sausage sometime.....cheers
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014 by Kilimanjaro »
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]