Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Satmap Active 10 GPS  (Read 16819 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Satmap Active 10 GPS
« on: December 10, 2013 »

I was looking at getting a Lowrance GPS from Mapyx because I use their desktop software and maps loads but I see too many bad reviews. Now I'm thinking a Satmap Active 10 might be a better idea. They're doing the bike version bundled with a charging kit for £225 which includes a 1/3 off maps voucher. The NI 1:50k & 1:25k specified areas maps are £80 but with the 1/3 off it brings it all down to the same price as the Lowrance for which I already own the maps.

I have been using a Garmin Etrex HCX with Talkytoaster maps for a few years but the screen is just too small and it's a very fiddly device.

Does anyone have any experience of this GPS unit or any advice in general?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Satmap Active 10 GPS
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013 »

I have had a little play with a satmap active 10 while sitting in the office, looks good, but i'm still quite fond of my etrex & 1:50k talkytoaster maps (but still need the 1:25k paper map for the detailed navigation). I'll see if I can borrow the satmap for a day in the hills to get a better feel for it.
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013 »

What do the Mountain Rescue chaps use? That's always a good indicator.

I have an Etrex too and I've always been fond of it. But it's very fiddly to use (only has 4 buttons) and the screen size is very small. Though the single thing really driving an upgrade is I want proper portable OS mapping. It's the nerd in me ;)

I have had a little play with a satmap active 10 while sitting in the office, looks good, but i'm still quite fond of my etrex & 1:50k talkytoaster maps (but still need the 1:25k paper map for the detailed navigation). I'll see if I can borrow the satmap for a day in the hills to get a better feel for it.

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013 »

I use viewranger. It's a great app.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013 »

What sort of price are the maps for Viewranger? I've never been totally happy using the phone for GPS. Always wary of battery power or damaging the thing.

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013 »

The mournes map 1: 25 k is £10 which I think is a good price considering how  much I use it. Battery life can be a problem, I make sure I've a full charge by charging my phone in the car on the way too the mountains, also turning on aeroplane mode can maximise your battery life. I also carry a portable battery charger if I'm going to be out all day or camping.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013 »

I suppose if you're using it for occasional navigation where you're only bringing it out occasionally then it probably wouldn't be an issue. One of my main uses for a GPS is as a route recorder so I can import into Mapyx at home and see exactly where I was.

£10 for the Mournes isn't bad. Mapyx 1:25k for the Mournes is £14.99.

The mournes map 1: 25 k is £10 which I think is a good price considering how  much I use it. Battery life can be a problem, I make sure I've a full charge by charging my phone in the car on the way too the mountains, also turning on aeroplane mode can maximise your battery life. I also carry a portable battery charger if I'm going to be out all day or camping.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013 »

This may be a stupid question but, if I was using my phone for navigation in the mournes do you need a network signal or does the GPS function in the phone work independently from the network.

I have an iPhone 4s on Orange (EE) and once I leave the carpark I never have a signal  >:(
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013 »

You get a GPS signal independently of mobile reception, GPS is coming from satellites. If you have mapping software where the maps are installed on the phone (and they don't have to be downloaded from the internet, like Google maps) then you don't need any type of cell reception at all.

This may be a stupid question but, if I was using my phone for navigation in the mournes do you need a network signal or does the GPS function in the phone work independently from the network.

I have an iPhone 4s on Orange (EE) and once I leave the carpark I never have a signal  >:(

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013 »

paper map & compass  ;)
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013 »

That figures, safe and reliable :)

paper map & compass  ;)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013 »

You get a GPS signal independently of mobile reception, GPS is coming from satellites. If you have mapping software where the maps are installed on the phone (and they don't have to be downloaded from the internet, like Google maps) then you don't need any type of cell reception at all.

Ohhhh, that's my mountain satnav needs sorted then  :)  One less device to carry and cheap as chips!!!
See the View

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013 »

I second the shout for the viewranger, its a great wee app!

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013 »

I use Viewranger too, free app and the Mournes map for £10. I have also bought a couple of individual map tiles for a few pence each, 2 tiles covered Rathlin Island and 2 covered Glenveagh in Donegal. I always stick an old  fullycharged mobile in my bag in case i run out of battery power while using the gps but it has lasted more than the 9.5 hours taken to do the mourne wall. I have never found any reliability issues and it seems fairly accurate.
Routes walked and new routes planned can be done on a laptop or tablet and then synced between devices so you can easily see where you have been or plot new walks on a big screen.

Mourne wall route

Screenshot_2013-08-18-20-40-19 by philip blair2011, on Flickr

Mourne wall altitude

A microlite flight i did

Screenshot_2013-08-22-21-24-45 by philip blair2011, on Flickr
Screenshot_2013-08-18-20-39-14 by philip blair2011, on Flickr

Rathlin Island inc the ferry over

1385158378895 by philip blair2011, on Flickr

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013 »

I use Viewranger too, free app and the Mournes map for £10. I have also bought a couple of individual map tiles for a few pence each, 2 tiles covered Rathlin Island and 2 covered Glenveagh in Donegal. I always stick an old  fullycharged mobile in my bag in case i run out of battery power while using the gps but it has lasted more than the 9.5 hours taken to do the mourne wall. I have never found any reliability issues and it seems fairly accurate.
Routes walked and new routes planned can be done on a laptop or tablet and then synced between devices so you can easily see where you have been or plot new walks on a big screen.

That's a great wee write-up Phil_B

When I went to download Viewranger earlier from the App Store there were two versions; Free App and one for £9.99.  What's the difference or is the £9.99 one there for those that don't know any better?

I've downloaded the free one for now so do I just buy the Mourne Map and that's me all sorted or will there be a load of features missing by using the Free App? 

I don't want to spend £9.99 if I don't need too... I could get a KFC Bucket for that  ;)
See the View
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]