Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: GPS Conundrum  (Read 3781 times)

hexpert

• Newbie Poster
GPS Conundrum
« on: October 14, 2013 »

Posed this query on a few forums, going to throw it open here as well.  :)

I recently purchased a GPSMAP 62 and whilst playing about with it an interesting query arose. One of the things you can set is the correct grid system for the unit. Only question was which setting is correct?

For England, Scotland & Wales it's British Grid, and for Ireland it's Irish I G, as both Northern Ireland and Eire share a common grid system, although this information wasn't listed on any of the maps, Discoverer, Landranger & Activity were the maps I checked.

I've even gone so far as to check for the appropriate grid on a number of maps for various other countries with little success.

But for others it's even more complex. Take India for example, there are eight different grids which could be used.

I've tried searching for the information online, but can't find anything which collates and gives the information for the various parts/regions of the world as to which grid system I should set for that region.

I must admit to being surprised that there isn't already a website with a list of formats.

I was also quite shocked when Garmin replied to my query, and said they didn't have this information, nor did they know where to get it.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]