Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Great Big Sleeping Bag Thread  (Read 49161 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
The Great Big Sleeping Bag Thread
« on: November 07, 2012 »

Hivemind Assemble! Let's put our (considerable) personal experience to good use and spread some useful information. First up - sleeping bags.

Everyone copy and paste the information below, fill out as much as you can (doesn't need to be absolutely specific, just as close as you can muster). Do it for any bags you own and add any additional information or tips that you think are pertinent. Feel free to duplicate or add your own comments for bags already added.

This way we can provide a single resource for peeps wanting to buy a bag.

Make/model :
Price :
Lower comfort rating :
Down or Synthetic :
Weight :
Thoughts :
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012 by RedLeader »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: The Great Big Sleeping Bag Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012 »

I'll go first.

Make/model : Alpkit Pipedream 400
Price : £150
Lower comfort rating : -3
Down or Synthetic : Down
Weight : 1200g
Thoughts : An excellent bag for all year in Northern Ireland, plenty warm.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012 »

Make/model : Berghaus Flare 1100 Mummy Sleeping Bag
Price : £65
Lower comfort rating : 2.6C
Down or Synthetic : Synthetic (Polyester (HEAT - Honeycomb Engineered Advanced Thermals))
Weight : 1155g With includes Compression sack
Thoughts : I love this Sleeping bag, I was bought as a replacement for my Snugpak sleeping bag. It has been used in Northern Ireland in all weathers ranging from snow to sunshine and has never let me down. It was also used when I went to Kilimanjaro and performed very well there to. My only problem is the zip is on the right and have yet to find a left sided one (My tent is left sided).
No one goes inside to clear their head

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012 »

Make/model : Tesco Comfort Mummy Sleeping Bag
Price : £5.26
Lower comfort rating : -2.4C
Down or Synthetic : Synthetic
Weight : 1900g with compression sack
Thoughts : It's a cheap bag as it was on sale and it weighs more than i'd like, but it's managed to keep me warm and more than comfortable. The zip is on the left* despite me being right handed but the price was a bargain.

*edit: Actually meant to say, the zip on the sleeping bag is on the right which is a bit of a hassle being right handed.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012 by specimanYak »

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012 »

Currently owned:

Make/model : Snugpak Jungle Bag
Price : £30
Lower comfort rating : +8/10
Weight : 700g
Thoughts : Square, opens into quilt, built in mosi-net to seal face.
Packs small, cool features, but the clue is in the name: Not really warm enough for this country. Has a reflective layer inside. I find it weird - my core can be sweating from the heat radiated back, but everywhere touching the bag is cold from conductive loss.
Also a bit clammy - fine for a wet jungle environment, but down would probably be more comfortable for other warm environments.

Make/model : Mountain Hardwear Lamina 20
Price : £110
Lower comfort rating : -7
Down or Synthetic : Synthetic (laminated to reduce stitch-thru/increase loft)
Weight : 1400g
Thoughts : Comes with compression & storage sacks. Packs fairly small for a synthetic. Pretty accurate temperature - I've done a back-garden-bivvy at -8 in just a base layer on still night. Have also jumped in with soggy clothes on a wet, windy, sub 5 night and been very comfortable. Plenty of room inside too - I'm thinking of buying a light down bag for travel/adventure races and use it as a liner in this for super-cold conditions, but plenty of room for other liners or insulated clothes, or drying out gear with your body heat. Certainly can be used all year around in the mountains in this country, but I think you could probably get away 90% of the time with the smaller, lighter Lamina 35.
Only downside is the zipper is quite snaggy...mainly on the stiffer bits that are to stop it snagging on the soft material!
edit 28/3/13 - Noticed a draw-back to the roominess on my recent trip to Scotland that remained below freezing the whole time. When I shifted in the night I would feel cool air which took a minute or two to heat up again. It was most noticeable without a bivvy bag. I was wearing full base layers. A liner might reduce the effect further. Otherwise, it was great as usual.

Previous owned:

Make/model : PHD Hispar 700 (2007)
Price : £280
Lower comfort rating : -18
Thoughts : Superb quality, but is a hi-tec/ultra light bit of kit, so needs more care than say, my Lamina. Coldest was a -12 bivvy (no bivvy bag) on a mountain ridge at 3000m - toasty. At 0 I had to sleep with it open as it was so hot. Black inner to help airing in the sun (after 2 weeks use never aired it gained 200g moisture, but lightened again with a good airing at home). I sold it after my travels as it is too hot for this country. The new Hispars are about 50% lighter for the same rating, but 50%+ more expensive!

Also used:

Make/model : Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32
Price : £250
Lower comfort rating : 0 conservative - reportedly a few degrees below.
Weight : 640g
Thoughts : Used for a mountain marathon. Incredibly warm. Snugger fit than the Lamina. Nearly full-length zip for good ventilation options & access. I packed it into a yellow exped drybag easily, and could have been compressed smaller. Top kit...I'm impressed. Could probably do well as an all-rounder 3 season for the UK if you are prepared to keep it dry.
Phantom 45 has definitely become a top choice for my down summer bag because of this one.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013 by twentyclicks »
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012 »

Make/model : Deuter Travel Lite 300
Price : £70
Thoughts :  A good value synthetic bag that packs well and isn't too heavy.  I think it seems difficult to better this bag without spending a lot more money on a top-notch synthetic or down bag.  Fulfils most requirements in NI, I have supplemented with a cheap one season Tesco bag for when it is expected to be really cold.  Never had a problem with the zip snagging.  Inside the bag there are different shaped pull cords to help distinguish easily  between the adjustment for the shoulder baffle and that of the hood.  Comes in a choice of right or left zip.   
"Not all those who wander are lost."

bigq

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012 »

A personal tip for camping in cold weather: try not to sleep in your sleeping bag with all your clothes on. When you wake in the morning and get out of your sleeping bag, you'll be cold. Standing round while cold and dismantling a tent is not a nice way to start the day.

If its really cold, wear your clothes when you initially get into the bag, but take them off before u go to sleep. Keep them inside the sleeping bag so they stay nice&warm. They can be used as a pillow or to smooth out any rough ground underneath you.
In the morning, put on your nice warm clothes and get out of the sleeping bag.

I've found a lighter sleeping bag used in conjunction with a sleeping bag liner is often better than using a winter sleeping bag.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012 »

Make/model : Berghaus Flare 1100 Mummy Sleeping Bag
Price : £65 - £70 cant remember thought i got it on sale ;-/
Lower comfort rating : 2.6C
Down or Synthetic : Synthetic (Polyester (HEAT - Honeycomb Engineered Advanced Thermals))
Weight : 1155g With includes Compression sack
Thoughts : Ill keep it until it runs away or dies some how

Sorry for the mistake it was extreme risk i put in  ::)

Cheers TypoOn
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012 by Wolf_Larson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012 »

bigq, I agree except for the 'if it's very cold bit': to get the best out of your bag (typically your biggest insulator), you should strip off before or as soon as you get in so that your body heat goes straight into the bag and lofts it fully. With your clothes on your heat will leak slower into the bag...it feels warmer initially, but the bag never gets enough to loft and you can wake up cold later on.
Typically you should be exposed to your best insulation. Certainly keeping your clothes warm in there with you is a good idea for a cosy start in the morning, or to be added if the bag can't cope :)

Then again there are situations were wearing you clothes is best... like using a bag that is inadequate in it's own right, or if your clothes are better insulating (eg. down jacket inside a 2-season synthetic bag). The bag is just another layer. Alpinists sometimes carry a summer down bag for emergency bivvies... it adds a little extra heat over their clothes for the lower metabolism of resting. Keeps the hypothermia at bay if anything!
Some light hikers also use their clothing insulation for sleeping as they are carrying it anyway, so they can get away with a lighter bag.

A personal tip for camping in cold weather: try not to sleep in your sleeping bag with all your clothes on. When you wake in the morning and get out of your sleeping bag, you'll be cold. Standing round while cold and dismantling a tent is not a nice way to start the day.

If its really cold, wear your clothes when you initially get into the bag, but take them off before u go to sleep. Keep them inside the sleeping bag so they stay nice&warm. They can be used as a pillow or to smooth out any rough ground underneath you.
In the morning, put on your nice warm clothes and get out of the sleeping bag.

I've found a lighter sleeping bag used in conjunction with a sleeping bag liner is often better than using a winter sleeping bag.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

t18con

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012 »

Make/model : gelert freedom 400 dl xl
Price : £36 from amazon
Lower comfort rating :-2.2c
Down or Synthetic : synthetic
Weight : 2.2kgs
Thoughts
these are a bulky,heavy 4 season bag, completely filling the sleeping bag compartment in both our packs, very warm (the wife likes her heat) and at a reasonable price IMO. features below
Ridge hood
Anti bite locking zip
Zip baffle
Shoulder baffle
Internal security pocket
Loose shell
Ripstop panel
Compression sac
Soft peach lining
Piping on the front panel

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012 »

Make/model :                         Mountain Hardwear Lamina 20
Price :                                   £85.  On offer plus some discount.
Lower comfort rating :             -7
Down or Synthetic :                Synthetic (laminated to reduce stitch-thru/increase loft)
Weight :                                1400g
Thoughts:                              Bought this as part of my replacing kit process.  I had been using a
Hi-Gear Snooza 300.  The Lamina is lighter and packs smaller.  I have found it adequate so far, in the Mournes summer and winter.  In the winter I wore a Canterbury long sleeved warm top and cotton long bottoms and socks.  I was cosy enough.  When the shoulder and hood are tightened it gets really warm.

The zip is on the left, I'm right handed and was advised that this was the proper option.  I'd prefer a right handed zip.  The zip tends to snag easily and this is frustrating.

Make/model :                           Hi-Gear Snooza 300
Price :                                     £35 approx.  5+ years ago
Lower comfort rating :               -0.5
Down or Synthetic :                  Synthetic
Weight :                                   1800g
Thoughts:                                 Bought 2, for son and daughter doing Duke of Ed and they worked very well.  I have used it as well and found it adequate for summer in the Mournes. The drawback was the weight and bulky pack size.  Certainly value for money.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012 »

Make/model :             Rad Accent 700
Price :                       £150 on sale.
Lower comfort rating :
                                 Comfort -5°C
                                 Limit of Comfort -12°C
                                 Extreme -31°C
Down or Synthetic :    Down
Weight :                    1310g  (+155g  stuffsac)
Thoughts :                 I've owned a few vango and snugpac (which are awesome too) bags and the Rab is the best one so far, it packs smaller and its lighter than any of my other cold weather bags. It warms up pretty quick and the draw stings are elastic so even when you tie yourself in tight you still have freedom to move about. It comes with a cotton bag to store it in when not in use. I guess the down side is the down, and the effort it takes to care for it.

As mentioned I've used snug pac, I found after about 6 years the filling got a bit thin and lumpy, but thats 6 years of washing, drying, packing and sleeping bag races....

The vango I own the the sleeper extreme, its about 30 quid and its pretty good, but its heavy so not much use for a long trek.
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012 »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012 »

Lol. I want that for sitting infront of the TV ;)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012 »

so here's my real bags then

Make/model : Alpkit Pipedream 400  (same as redleaders but his has diff spec!, is yours maybe a 600?)
Price : £80 (2nd hand) - currently £150 new
Weight : 750g (+20g for stuff sack  or +120g for compression sack)
Thoughts : Love it, keeps me toasty warm, lowest i've camped in it is minus 2 in a bivvy bag with no wind and i felt ok (not exactly toasty though) with just my base layers on (& a cotton liner).

Make/model : Vango Voyager 100 lite LPrice : (on long term loan  ;) from my sister) approx £30 new
Lower comfort rating : 7 (extreme 2)
Weight : 1000g
Thoughts : its baltic in here mate, summer only, and not an irish one! but at least its light  :)

Make/model : Slumbalux Adventure 300
Price : another long term loan from my wee sis  :)  can't find an online price
Lower comfort rating : says -5, but that must be the extreme rating,i'd guess it should be +3
Weight : 1700g
Thoughts : This is my favourite bag for car camping, not just because it bright red and i can find it when i'm drunk! have also used it on a few cold hill camps and it performs very well, not yet tested sub zero. I have my best sleeps in this bag, just seems to fit right and have the zips and cord pulls in the right place.

Make/model : Gelert Freedom 400 DL-XL
Price : approx £35
Lower comfort rating : -5 (extreme -10)
Weight : 2700g !!!! (although t18con's similar bag is only 2200g)
Thoughts : very very comfy, maybe too warm! too big for hill camping, although i did take it to Doanard summit camp, had a cold night in it up there at +2 deg, but i think i actually wore too many layers inside the bag and i didn't warm up properly before going to bed, the gales didn't help either  ;D

A good nights sleep for me is when my feet don't get cold, the rest of my body has no bother with the cold, just seem to have a problem with my feet, have tried many different thick socks and even tent boots, hard to compare as no two nights seem to have the same combination of temp, tent, wind (one of my tents has a mesh inner which the wind just blows straight through). I sometimes bring the bivvy bag or cotton liner to get a bit more warmth out of the bag. Next purchase may be a silk liner.

think outside, no box required
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]