Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 3614 times)

Samm

• Top Poster
Gloves
« on: April 02, 2012 »

Ok, so I have thermals and base layers and fleeces and primalofts and waterproofs, so my body is fairly happy. I never have figured out what to do with gloves though. From liners, to heavier wool and fleece gloves, to waterproof gloves, mitts, overmitts. I'm confused! What do people use, what do they recommend?

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012 »

Hi Samm,

A pair thin / wind resistant gloves should be adequate in most conditions when on the move. Cold hands / feet are usually a sign that the body core temperature is dropping. So if you hands are cold then it's more likely that you haven't enough body layers to maintain your core temperature for the activity that you are doing.

I have made the mistake of investing in several glove systems (dense wool , waterproof mitts, windproof fleece etc). They often end up in my pack when my hands start to overheat then I have to put them on again as the windchill kicks in. A simple pair of thin windproof gloves tend to stay on my hands more consistently without constantly taking them off and on. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012 by andymcinroy »

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012 »

I have quite a few gloves and tend to use them for different things.

Very thin powerdry liners(cheap) - great for running, when you are hot anyway.
Regular grippy-dot gloves(cheap) - most used all round.
Windproof softshell with leather palm (Tiso £15!) - on the bike in colder weather, driving, ice-climbing.
Primaloft mittens (montane £30)- on the bike sub-zero, or backup in the pack in winter.
Thin waterproof gloves with good grip (Mountain Hardware, getting expensive even reduced @ £45) - just got these this year, nice for really wet days on the bike and would be good for mountaineering as the windproof ones get wet in the snow and then freeze on your axe/cold rocks/when you stop moving for a minute! Saying that, a glove version of my primaloft mitts may also work well. I'm wary of most waterproof gloves but the technology in these seemed better. Will give them a try, but would be very reluctant to spend anymore on gloves as they can wear out so fast or be easily lost.

I find it difficult - being on a bike really adds to windchill and the arms don't do much/most of the blood goes to the legs. There's rarely risk of frostbite/nip in our country but hands can still become immobile, stiff and useless. I tend to wear basic gloves quite often and regulate temperature with sleeves, zips and buff. I haven't tried fleece gloves, but if it's pretty wet I take my regular gloves off, as they get colder and take longer to dry than bare hands.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012 »

the best gloves i have are a wee cheap pair of builders gloves, pick them up in any builders yard for only 2 or 3 quid, they are very thin and with a sort of mesh back they dry really quickly, also they have a grippy palm (for lifting bricks and stuff) so great for scrambling on the rocks, they usually have a few sizes so you can get something that fits just right (i have wee girly hands not big builders hands i i found a pair that fitted ok  ;D

when its very cold i get the ski gloves on, plenty going cheap on ebay now we're out of ski season

some more glove info here
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2700.msg29205#msg29205
(i never did get myself a good pair  :-[  spent my vouchers on a camping mat instead  :) )
think outside, no box required

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012 »

Thanks for all the advice. One thing's for sure, I need new gloves. Today I had with me a pair of Lowe Alpine powerstretch and a pair of Montane fleece lined ski type gloves. My hands were frozen. I do a lot of standing around in my job, so need something that keeps me warm when I'm not active. Plus, as I'm getting older my circulation is getting worse cause even in a centrally heated room my hands are normally very cold. Maybe I just need a constant supply of heat pads in my gloves to keep any warmth in them. If anyone has found a solution to keeping cold hands warm while out then I'd love some advice.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012 »

my wifes like you, hands are freezing all the time, but i'm the opposite, i can even make snowballs with my bare hands  ;D
think outside, no box required

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]