Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Footprint Groundsheet Or Not?  (Read 11525 times)

cerbera147

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Footprint Groundsheet Or Not?
« on: May 20, 2011 »

So I picked up a Vango Banshee 300 this week :)

I'm thinking in order to keep it in relatively good nick I was going to get footprint groundsheet to lay under it before pitching. Vango don't appear to do one for this model  ::) Although I saw a perfect fitting Gelert groundsheet in Cotswolds for £8.50.

Just wondering what your views are on these? Do you use them or are they just additional weight when carrying?

I'm just thinking of ease of cleaning after a miserable, muddy camp out  :o

Drongo

• Top Poster
Re: Footprint Groundsheet Or Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011 »

Car camping, fantastic...!!

Backpacking, I'd not bother...

When we use our Quazer out of the car, we use a double orange bivi to protect ours...
I'm Not Drunk...!!!  I'm Irish, there is a Difference...

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011 »

I did buy one for my laser and on some occasions do carry it as it weighs next to nothing. It very seldom comes out and I am not sold on absolutely needing one. Just be careful where you place the tent, sweep the place for loose or sharp stones, twigs and any other material likely to puncture the ground sheet and you will be grand.

Matthew

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011 »

I'd agree with what Matthew said, just be careful to clear the ground where you pitch and it will be grand.  One thing I would also say is the groundsheet is actually quite thick and robust on the Vango tents compared to some of the uber light tents.  Kat and I have used our Tempest 200 a fair bit and never felt the need for a groundsheet.  If you do decide to go for a lightweight footprint then Tyvek seems like a popular choice if you like to MYOG (make your own gear).

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011 »

Thanks for all the great replies

I have to say that is the first time I have encountered a groundsheet like on the Vango. I also have a Lichfield Apache which has the 'traditional' groundsheet. I'm guessing that is a huge weight saver :)

Perhaps I'll take it out for a few trips before committing. That £8.50 could be spent elsewhere ;D

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011 »

on my vaude the base feels very thin and when camping on donard i was a bit worried as when i pitched it was geting dark and hard to see the glass which i had to remove quite a bit of from the campsite, on my gelert i pitched on some granite rocks the odd time and never worried as the base was so thick and the tent was only £8  ;D
think outside, no box required

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011 »

I think a groundsheet is a very useful thing. I know I'm car camping but I put down a huge lump of builders plastic which, looking at all the little craters in the surface, has really saved my tent on a few occasions. And that's WITH me walking around the plot moving stones, twigs and anything else that I can feel with my foot.

B&M bargains has sold a small, (from memory) 1.5 square groundsheet for £1.99 with an eyelet in each corner. It could be rigged as a tarp over the door of the tent if it's raining as well.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]