Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mourne Seven Sevens 2013 (10th August)  (Read 42955 times)

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
Mourne Seven Sevens 2013 (10th August)
« on: March 10, 2013 »

Anyone else doing it this year? And any tips you can give myself and the brother , we are doing it this year for the first time. We intend doing Donard, Comedagh, Beg, Cove Lamagan,Binnian, Ben Crom Dam, Meelbeg, Meelmore and Bearnagh.
I have done most of the route over the last few months,  I just need to build up the miles now. Hoping to do a good 14 or 15 miles next sunday taking in 5 of the main 7 if anyone wants to join me.
We are doing it for Cancer Research by the way, our family has been effected by cancer a couple of times and they do good work

Phil
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013 by LandyLiam »

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Mourne Seven Sevens 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013 »

That's the route the runners have to take. Maybe you're running, but walkers can go any way they like. All the ascents are easier this way I think.
Water is the main concern on the route, as after the Glen River, you don't see much. There are a sometimes streams on the cove-lamagan path, the Ben Crom river, and then the streams crossing the Brandy Pad.
Last year started raining, but the sun came out and it was scorching. I only drank 1.5 L in 6 hours and paid dearly... got a chest infection the next week I was so run down. I'd normally down that in 2hrs running in the summer.

Navigation isn't really much of a problem if you are familiar with the mountains. Getting the best line off Commedagh to hit the saddle spot on and not coming down on the Castles is just a matter of a compass reading. I followed some guys coming off Binnian but they went straight down the side and it was too slow for my ability, probably better to track all the way back to the path and follow it down to the dam. Otherwise follow the Ben Crom river track then aim straight up the side of Meelbeg to the summit and follow the wall/Brandy Pad the rest of the way.
You also have the choice of routes ascending Donard at the start. We followed various tracks that kept us on the right of the river all the way up to the Ice House... the new trail makes easy going up the valley but you have steeper /longer climb at the end. I went up the Black Stairs which is more gradual, but clambery in parts.

Otherwise, just take the minimum requirements that the organisers (and you) are happy with.
Was the toughest thing I did last year, and that includes 2 ultra-marathons!
Sounds like your training is all in hand anyway... enjoy it  :)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013 »

I am for doing it, haven't decided the route yet, looking forward to it!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013 »

After 2 fails at this so far i'm hoping to have another go this year, i'll be doing the the other way round.
think outside, no box required

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013 »

That's the route the runners have to take. Maybe you're running, but walkers can go any way they like. All the ascents are easier this way I think.
Water is the main concern on the route, as after the Glen River, you don't see much. There are a sometimes streams on the cove-lamagan path, the Ben Crom river, and then the streams crossing the Brandy Pad.
Last year started raining, but the sun came out and it was scorching. I only drank 1.5 L in 6 hours and paid dearly... got a chest infection the next week I was so run down. I'd normally down that in 2hrs running in the summer.

Navigation isn't really much of a problem if you are familiar with the mountains. Getting the best line off Commedagh to hit the saddle spot on and not coming down on the Castles is just a matter of a compass reading. I followed some guys coming off Binnian but they went straight down the side and it was too slow for my ability, probably better to track all the way back to the path and follow it down to the dam. Otherwise follow the Ben Crom river track then aim straight up the side of Meelbeg to the summit and follow the wall/Brandy Pad the rest of the way.
You also have the choice of routes ascending Donard at the start. We followed various tracks that kept us on the right of the river all the way up to the Ice House... the new trail makes easy going up the valley but you have steeper /longer climb at the end. I went up the Black Stairs which is more gradual, but clambery in parts.

Otherwise, just take the minimum requirements that the organisers (and you) are happy with.

Hi. Definitely not running, maybe not even walking! It might be a crawl towards the end. I think I have read your account of last years somewhere along with a load of others. From reading up and talking to people I thought it sounded better this way. Did you follow the path over beg and cove to lamagan? I have seen someone mentioning going right around beg and cove and not summiting them. Im hoping to do the descent from comedagh tomthe brandy pad this weekend and also from ben crom dam up to meelbeg, I have done it down a couple of times. I had thought of stashing a couple of litres of water somewhere around ben crom dam to pick up on the way through.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013 »

Hi. Definitely not running, maybe not even walking! It might be a crawl towards the end. I think I have read your account of last years somewhere along with a load of others. From reading up and talking to people I thought it sounded better this way. Did you follow the path over beg and cove to lamagan? I have seen someone mentioning going right around beg and cove and not summiting them. Im hoping to do the descent from comedagh tomthe brandy pad this weekend and also from ben crom dam up to meelbeg, I have done it down a couple of times. I had thought of stashing a couple of litres of water somewhere around ben crom dam to pick up on the way through.
Hi phil, the stewards for the walk will have a bucket on a rope that you can use to get water from the dam, they had this last year and was a good help.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013 »

Last year started raining, but the sun came out and it was scorching. I only drank 1.5 L in 6 hours and paid deary... got a chest infection the next week I was so run down. I'd normally down that in 2hrs running in the summer.

Hi phil, the stewards for the walk will have a bucket on a rope that you can use to get water from the dam, they had this last year and was a good help.

Ah, that would be a good help too. We are not at all concerned with our times round this, just as long as we make it to the dam for 2.30 before the cut off point and then to the finish.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013 »

Did you follow the path over beg and cove to lamagan? I have seen someone mentioning going right around beg and cove and not summiting them.

Yeah, as soon as you start up Beg a bit veer to the right and contour around... there are a few trails that'll you'll happen upon. There were runners around me so it was easy to tell when someone had found it as you saw their searching scamper settle back to a jog   ;)
Craig
-----------------------

ARB1000

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013 »

Hi everyone, I'm the brother!
Every time I think, "yes I can do it" I hear or read something like that stated above, ie "third time and hopefully I'll finish it this time" and "worse than two ultra marathons". Philip this could be bad idea! 11 miles last Thursday over just Donard and Commadagh and I nearly died. Hopefully clock a few more miles on Thursday morning.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013 »

LOL - well, I was running to get the best time possible so busted myself and only had an 800ml water bottle.
You can go as hard as you like, but I felt pushing hard here took more of a toll than some other events...maybe that's a better way to put it, so not to put you off  ;D
Craig
-----------------------

whoisaaron

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013 »

I'm entering the run this year. Will get up in the Mournes on some longer runs when the days get a bit longer.

I think the best training will be as many of these as possible http://www.nimra.org.uk/index.php/fixtures/

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013 »

7 7's training this weekend, weather is looking good for Sunday morning. Aiming to do trassey track to hares gap, slievenaglogh, corragh, comedagh, lamagan, ben crom dam, meelbeg, meelmore and bernagh if I can manage it. Leaving trassey car park at 6am hoping to get a bit of height for a nice sunrise if anyone wants to noin me ;D

ChuckMcB

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013 »

I'm very tempted. May I join you? Been ages since I've had a good early start in the hills....not quite seeing the same forecast that you are tho :)

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013 »

You are right about the forecast, every time I check it, it looks worse. Yesterday it said it would be dry till after 12, now its wet from 9. As photography is my main reason for walking I might pospone until monday or next weekend. Walking in rain and cloud all day where you cant see 20 meters in front of you just doesnt appeal.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013 »

I'm hoping to do this as well this year. All being well!
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]