Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Poll

When suits you best for the Moyle Way

17th and 18th March 2012
- 2 (28.6%)
24th and 25th March 2012
- 5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 04, 2012

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Moyle Way - 24th & 25th March 2012  (Read 75065 times)

Spud

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
Re: Moyle Way - 24th & 25th March 2012
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2012 »

Take this thing by the horns....
Meet at Waterfoot at 10:00am, there is a caravan site just off the Garron Road. This would be suitable to park a few cars.
Who is for parking up in Ballycastle or will we just get a taxi round? According to google maps the drive from Waterfoot to Ballycastle is 15.5 miles but will take 39 minutes. So to be back on time cars need left in ballycastle just after 9. I think an 8 seat taxi would be the best bet.
Spud I propose the camp site picked is kept. I've looked at a few different places and its the best of a bad lot lol.
If we change the camp spot it makes the stash much harder.

There's a few cars going craigy I think, and there's not that many of us going so don't think we will need a taxi, I'm happy to go with the camping spot you found, I should be hitting ballymena before 9 I will probably be on the train though

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2012 »

Its the time thing I'm thinking about. 39 minutes each way. so best bet is then meet in ballycastle and drive round to waterfoot? I'm confusing myself now lol.
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2012 »

Im now confused, ok so the people gowin are me , whorya, spud, craigy, Kayakgirl are you gowing?

And Wolf Larsson?
"Not all those who wander are lost."

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2012 »

Sorry I've been a bit quiet on this thread the last week or so (had a busy week).

If you can tolerate it I'd like to make a wee proposal to help make the best of our wants for this walk.

1) I think we'd all agree that the option of walking further on day one makes sense both from the point of view of tired legs and also making best use of our available time, Saturday being a longer day with being out for the night.

2) Ballycastle offers a better variety of places to get a pint or a pint after the walk.

3) We need car/s at either end of the walk.

We're happy with our campsite however if starting from Waterfoot, it doesn't tick box 1.

What I would suggest is that if we did the walk from Ballycastle to Waterfoot, then it makes best use of our camp site from the perspective of walking.  What we could then do at the end of the walk is jump in the car straight away and drive up to Ballycastle (which we have to do to retrieve cars anyway).  We can then avail of the facilities in Ballycastle, making it the official end of the walk.

Starting the walk:
We could meet at the stash point in two cars  (Craigy's and Rumblebum/whoRya as the other one), then leave one in Waterfoot and all get in the one to go Ballycastle.

Even if there is 5 of us we could get 3-4 rucksacks in the boot and one across people's laps in the back seat.

Does that sound like a fair enough idea to try to match people's preferences?

I'm available for meeting up as early as needs be on the Sat morning.

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2012 »

Sorry I've been a bit quiet on this thread the last week or so (had a busy week).

If you can tolerate it I'd like to make a wee proposal to help make the best of our wants for this walk.

1) I think we'd all agree that the option of walking further on day one makes sense both from the point of view of tired legs and also making best use of our available time, Saturday being a longer day with being out for the night.

2) Ballycastle offers a better variety of places to get a pint or a pint after the walk.

We're happy with our campsite however if starting from Waterfoot, it doesn't tick box 1.

What I would suggest is that if we did the walk from Ballycastle to Waterfoot, then it makes best use of our camp site from the perspective of walking.  What we could then do at the end of the walk is jump in the car straight away and drive up to Ballycastle (which we have to do to retrieve cars anyway).  We can then avail of the facilities in Ballycastle, making it the official end of the walk.

Starting the walk:
We could meet at the stash point in two cars  (Craigy's and Rumblebum/whoRya as the other one), then leave one in Waterfoot and all get in the one to go Ballycastle.

Even if there is 5 of us we could get 3-4 rucksacks in the boot and one across people's laps in the back seat.

That all sounds like a plan, nice one!

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2012 »

Works for me!
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints!

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012 by Wolf_Larson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2012 »

Starting the walk:

Im good with that.

Hey Wolf, its great to have you join us on this trip, Im gonna go simple with the food this time.

Lunch im thinking just a sandwich or cupasoup,il boil water but dont want to have to start cleaning all my gear. Dinner for Whorya and myself will be a beef casserole, we'd normally make this and store it in a nalgene bottle till its poured straight into the cooking pot, then just have a roll along with it. Breakfast is a pot of porridge, spud showed me pots that you can get in sainsburys etc, all you do is boil up your water and pour it straight into the porridge so it means theres very little cleaning.

Spud mentioned that he may bring a steak, it is for this reason that we have perfected the art of the sleeper hold, ' did you say that was medium rare spud? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'  hold his head, let him down gently! 8)'

Il be bringing a bottle of wine, you can get the flavoured water from asda etc, dump the sugary keek inside it and itl carry my poision.

Other than that mate, itl just be a lot of nibbles.

Hope this helps. Al.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2012 »

Sleeper hold is it? Bring it on big lad!  ;D After the days walking I'll probably fall asleep by myself!  ;D
I'm bringing a steak for the Saturday evening, a wee drop of mr Daniels to sip round the fire, one of the previously mentioned porridge pot things for brekkie on the sun morning, and various snacks and water

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2012 »

So it sounds like me Rumblebum and Wolf will be arriving together, with Spud and Craigy arriving together.

Craigy, shall we meet at the car park at grid gef 123 295 (Altarichard Road), then go to a stash spot?

What time gents?  I suppose we'll all try to work around Spud's timing given that there is a train involved.  How early can we expect that to be?

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2012 »

If the train is on time, I will be in ballymena train station for 8 am on sat

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2012 »

Sounds good early start, got a 90L racksack from argros £42:00. Any1 know where to get Gaitors under a tenner out of a shop in befast (do i realy need them ?)

Thanks for the food tips, but what is a sleeper holder ??

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2012 »

Lmao so thats how you catch a good steak.

How are you all going to cook a steak ???

Rumble where is the best place to get picked up, im in New Mossley so any where handle for yourself i can get to. If you mail me your number i can give ya a call friday after work.

I just have to pick up food now for the camp but i was thinking beens in a bag and you lot are on steak  :-X

Regards Dave McCrum

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2012 »

Baby oil??

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2012 »

Thanks for the food tips, but what is a sleeper holder ??

Rumblebum doesnt like ppl eating steak if he isnt. So be careful or you'll end up like that guy ^^

If you do dare to bring it, once you see the baby oil coming out RRrrrruuuunnnnnn........  :P

Hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Are you suggesting that when i go into the hills, i like to stand naked on top of some mountain and rub baby oil all over my lovely toned body?

Eh??  8)
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]