Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Great Big Tent Thread  (Read 53882 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
The Great Big Tent Thread
« on: April 12, 2013 »

Hivemind Assemble! The sleeping bag thread turned out to be very useful so let's put our (considerable) personal experience to good use and spread some useful information. Next up - tents.

Everyone copy and paste the information below, fill out as much as you can (doesn't need to be absolutely specific, just as close as you can muster). Do it for any tents you own and add any additional information or tips that you think are pertinent. Feel free to duplicate or add your own comments for tents already added.

This way we can provide a single resource for peeps wanting to buy a tent.

Make/model :
Price :
No People :
Porch Y/N :
Single skin :
Weight :
Thoughts :

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: The Great Big Tent Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013 »

I'll go first.

Make/model : Vaude Hogan Ultralight
Price : £100 (2nd hand)
No People : 2 (tight)
Porch Y/N : Small one
Single skin : N
Weight : 1300g
Thoughts : I love this tent, it's great for one, tight but doable for two. Bought it 2nd hand off another NI-Wilder and although I haven't used it much, the times I have it's been great. Nice and light and designed to withstand stormy weather. My only complaint would be that it has dopey small pegs, best to change them. It's also hard to pitch totally taught but loads of tents are like that these days.

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013 »

Make/model : Vango / Tempest 300
Price : £100-120.
No People : 3
Porch Y/N : Y
Weight : 3.45kg
Thoughts : Great.

Pros:
Lightweight (for the size), easy pitched, fly sheet 5000HH and built in groundsheet 6000HH, very stable in windy conditions. A three man tent with a good sized porch for gear and cooking but works great as a solo tent as well.

Cons:
The default tent pegs bend far too easily and the clips between the inner and outer tent are tricky to take off and near impossible with cold hands. Though I fixed both problems, 4quid for new pegs and 2quid for carabiners to replace the clips.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013 by KyleL »

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013 »

Make/model : The North Face Mountain 25
Price : £600
No People : Comfortably two, at a squeeze three
Porch Y/N : Yes, one large and one small
Single skin : No
Weight : 4.1KG
Thoughts : I got this tent to round off my collection of tents for different purposes. So far this tent had not really been tested in the extreme conditions it is designed for. During general use it is a fantastic bit of kit and good when split between two people. It is easy to pitch with even one person and ends up as tight as a drum.
The pegs supplied are perfectly adequate but it would have been nice to have some snow pegs or something included given the intended use and cost.

Make/model : The North Face Tadpole Two
Price : £320
No People : Two
Porch Y/N : Yes, one very usable space
Weight : Inner, outer and poles 1.9KG, Pegs 280g
Thoughts: Almost the perfect tent for me. Loads of room for one and a real luxury feel when inside. easy to set up, live in and work out of. Easily set up by one in just a few moments. The inside is rarely damp from condensation. It can pack small enough to make this a real tent for the solo backpacker. It stood me well for the month I lived in it on expedition from 5000 mts to blistering  tropical forests.
The only down side is that the guy line which are supplied are not great and there are not enough of them to attach to the anchor points on the fly. there are also not enough pegs supplied when you fit out all of the line loops. Not a problem for me as the pegs were instantly replaced.

Make/model : Terra Nova laser competition
Price : £330
No People : Two
Porch Y/N : Yes, one very usable space
Weight : 0.93
Thoughts: bought for another expedition and lightweight camping. Not much to really fault just wee picky things which are as a result of the weight saving and the point of the tent I suppose. Ground sheet is too thin so stuff ends up wet, condensation is a killer in the morning, seams are not taped, it's not that warm inside and the pegs supplied are useless.

On the plus its very fast to set up with one pole but it does need to be pegged out and getting the tension is tricky. It is incredibly light and will fit in a small to medium exped bag with the carbon head and foot poles removed. There is enough room for one but for extended use its not great.  I will add that the customer service from Terra Nova is fantastic.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013 by Matthew »

Big Dod

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013 »

Make/model : Force10 Vortex 300
Price :£330 -- Currently £315 from www.summits.co.uk
No People : Three  (2 + gear in comfort)
Porch Y/N :  Y,  Two
Single skin :  No, All in one pitching (Keeps inner bone dry in pouring rain)
Weight :  4.9kg
Thoughts :  Love it, its heavy, but I love it.  Shared between two would be better. 

For one person though there's tons of room.  I can do that snow angel thing inside this and not touch the sides, I'm 5'11...  Loads of storage pockets, including gear loft and internal plastic loops for a washing line, to keep kit handy but out of your way.  Two porches so choose exit depending on what way the winds blowing.  Fully geodesic so extremely stable in wind and easy to put up after a couple of goes.  Took a good battering on the summit of Binian a few months back (3rd pic).  As said in previous posts, I also bought some stonger pegs.  Always toasty inside, even on my own and never had any problems with condensation.  Lastly, the footprint of this thing.  Its big. 
  All in, I'm going to purchase a RAB Ridge Raider(?) or similar and try that for a change (of weight).  Might keep this for when the kids come along too.  But then again, I can sit upright in this and once I reach my destination and get her up its always worth the effort for the space and the fact that I know its never going to get flattened by any wind we get here.

P.S.
Snow valances are a pain at night if not weighted down or tucked underneath.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013 by Big Dod »
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

jonny2324

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013 »

I will always love and use my trusty Vango Banshee.....it's been all over Britain and even to the Far East with me  :)

Make/model : Vango.. Banshee 200
Price : £120 ( got it for £65 in Millets sale  ;) )
No People : "supposed" to be 2 but its tight
Porch Y/N : small
Single skin : no... But can be pitched as 1
Weight :
Thoughts :   best tent I've owned ... Even compared to my more expensive tents ... Good size for me and it fits nicely into my rucksack and the weight is decent too.

Untitled by John boy25jonson2324, on Flickr

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013 »

I have also added 'Pitch inner 1st?' and 'No of pegs' categories that I think are useful to know.

Make/model :  Coleman Cobra 2 (~2004)
Price : £90
No People : 2
Porch Y/N : An entry each side with narrow but useful porches.
Single skin : Double
Pitch inner 1st?: Yes
No of pegs: 12
Weight : 2.4 kg
Thoughts : Excellent wee tent that has endured many years. Strong and windproof has survived a number of exposed storms. Have shared it comfortably and you can just about sit up despite a low design. Pockets each side and a good hanging pocket on the roof. Inner tensioners.
The inner is mostly mesh, and the outer leaves a few inches gap between the edge and the ground so great for ventilation, but the wind can get under and right through so it can be cold in a storm.
The new model is 20% lighter, the outer looks to come further down, and it pitches outer first... also a good bit cheaper. Seems a good tent got better: has been popular with a few on here of late so I'm sure there will be some more current reviews on this page soon.

Make/model : Lidl 1 man tent.
Price : £11
No People : 1.5
Porch Y/N : N
Single skin : Y
Pitch inner 1st? : N/A
No of pegs : 6
Weight : 1kg
Thoughts : I actually use this quite often as I usually am by myself, it is cheap so I'm not concerned about it, and it is light. Has a double door (mesh/nylon) and a beak for some protection. I always pitch the foot into the wind and only shut the mesh door. I sleep with my head at the door. This keeps the bugs out, but vents the tent and lets most of my breath get out. It's like a bivvy but with space to store/sort out gear. I have squeezed another person in before, but it was in a forest so mostly out of the rain: the sides sag heavily so unless you are in the middle you will be touching them and getting damp. It goes up quickly with only 6 pegs. Does a job!

_20C6619.JPG by twentyclicks, on Flickr

_20C6621.JPG by twentyclicks, on Flickr

_20C6620.JPG by twentyclicks, on Flickr

A TarpTent or a Terra Nova would be nice, and there are plenty of great tents from Mountain Hardware and MSR, but I will hold off buying a gucci tent as long as possible. I bivvy mostly so it seems a lot of money for something that will not be used a lot, but I resent a heavy or sub-standard tent even more when I do have to use one, so maybe an ok investment, especially for longer trips...
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013 »

Make/model : cobra Coleman 2
Price : £68 (amazon)
No People : 2 though I use it on my own with a dog
Porch Y/N : yes two sides entry and small porch
Single skin : double
Weight : 2.3
Thoughts :well I got this due to price, recommendations on here and the fact that it is easy to put up.  I put up both layers together so quick and easy.
Replaced pegs with lighter alloy ones
Attaches unto outside of Bergan easily
Two handy side porches which if two people were I keeps things neat.
I cook in porch no bother
Handy hook inside on roof and two side pockets
I can sit-up and I'm 5-6
Roomy for me and a dog, if sharing would need to know the person as it'd be snug.  But would work as two side storage porch areas.

Yet to have it out in lashing rain but in recent snow was great.  Ill add to this once it gets a good battering but I'd be confident in it.

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013 »

Here's a few pics

Next time I have it out Williston pics of inside

wmoulds

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013 »

I will always love and use my trusty Vango Banshee.....it's been all over Britain and even to the Far East with me  :)

Make/model : Vango.. Banshee 200
Price : £120 ( got it for £65 in Millets sale  ;) )
No People : "supposed" to be 2 but its tight
Porch Y/N : small
Single skin : no... But can be pitched as 1
Weight :
Thoughts :   best tent I've owned ... Even compared to my more expensive tents ... Good size for me and it fits nicely into my rucksack and the weight is decent too.

Love the pictures with the dog. How do you find camping with a dog in a smaller tent? I've a black lab I want to bring camping with me but have no idea how she'll react.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T S Eliot

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013 »

I was the same with cash, unsure if he would be barking at the wind and all.  He was fine and as I always do a good old walk first he's wrecked so once I feed him he just climbs into his wee sleeping bag.  Defo bring something for them to get in or wrap around them.  I love having him up with me and would not go without him.  Dogs seem to be quite instinctive I found with him and he will just curl up to sleep no bother as he's so shattered.  Also a nice wee hot water bottle lol

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013 »

Sorry forgot to add he's a wee beagle and I have loads of room in my wee Coleman I would be happy enough bringing a lab sized one in to a '2' man tent as they curl up and sleep.

nicm

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013 »

Make/model : Terra Nova Laser Photon Elite
Price : newest model (Laser Photon 1) is ~£300
No People : 1
Porch Y/N : Y, but small
Weight : 700g
Thoughts : Not much room left over with one person but v light, even after replacing the 1g Terra Nova Stupid Useless Pegs(TM) with some 3g pegs. Used it in a mix of conditions, it can be noisy in the wind but no other problems - I've seen comments about condensation but I haven't noticed it. Design and build quality is very high but ultralight materials are a little flimsy and I suspect overall it won't last as long as a heavier tent. Still, I love it, will probably go for TN again when this one breaks.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013 »

Make/model : Coleman Avior X2
Price : £110, but can now be picked up for much cheaper
No People : 2 (although 1 person with kit is more reasonable)
Porch Y/N : Yes, one at the front and one at the side.
Single skin : Double skin
Weight : 2.4kg
Thoughts : At first i was happy enough with this tent, it has two doors, one at the front and one at the side and each have a porch. It's easily pitched with the inner and outer both clipped together and pegged out in less than 10 minutes. It has survived the winds and rain of the Bullseye Bivvy in February so i'm confident it can handle a lot of abusive weather. Its got more than enough space to sit up inside and roomy enough to store a lot of kit.
My only gripe, and i am nitpicking, is it's too heavy at 2.4kg and because of the weight i've stopped using it as much, which leads me to the next one.

Make/model : Gelert Solo
Price : £10 from an Ni-Wilder (£30-£45 rrp)
Porch Y/N : Barely, No.
Single skin : Double skin, pitches inner first
Weight : 1.5kg
Thoughts : LOVE IT. I can't speak highly enough about this little tent, yes it's tiny and little more than a hooped bivvy bag but that's all i need. There's enough space on the side to store my rucksack and boots and other little bits and pieces, It's compact and fits easily inside a 40 litre rucksack and despite being a summer tent with a mesh inner has kept me more than warm in the past few winter camps.
If anything, its shown me how little tent one person actually needs for an over-nighter and how much difference one less kg makes, which means my next tent will definitely be in this weight category.
The only downside is its 1500mm hydrostatic head which isn't ideal for any heavy rain.

*edit because of words.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013 by specimanYak »

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013 »

Make/model : hilleberg akto
Price : £ 320 thanks to kaya  ;)
Porch Y/N : yes
Single skin : no
Weight : 1.5 kg
Thoughts : only used it once, I'll know better how good it is in bad weather. So far so good but.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013 by Wolf_Larson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]