Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Filtering water  (Read 4243 times)

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Filtering water
« on: February 14, 2012 »

Bought a hiker water filter from cotswolds a couple of weeks ago.

Set it up correctly, flushed her out and was on my way.

Filtered about a liter of water from a stream at cavehill.

Water came out murky and green!

Anyone any idea why this would be the case. Are the mossy streams up in cavehill unsuitable for this kind of filtering?

Was really hoping I could carry this instead of the kilos of water I normally do :S
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
Re: Filtering water
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012 »

If you are in an area with peatland then you only need carry a good strong plastic bag.

Small hole in one corner, then a layer of sphagnum moss followed by a layer of peat which has been mixed with fire ash, finally topped off with another good layer of moss.

Not only will it clear the water but the antiseptic properties of sphagnum moss will begin to purify it all too.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012 »

I looked at lots of water filters for hiking and other things. They nearly all said the water can still be cloudy or coloured after being filtered.

Out of interest what one did you go for and why?

I really wanted something that not only filtered down to bacteria size but also virus size in one package (not down to bacteria and then using uv or chem for virus's). For a portable item that really left me with the Katadyn MyBottle 'purifier version' or the Lifesaver Bottle. The Katadyn did upto 100l and the lifesaver did upto 4000l. My mum and dad bought me the Lifesaver as an early Birthday pressy :) Still not used it yet but will be trying it at the weekend ;)

I know filtering the water from the mournes isnt the 'done thing' on here but I just cant bring myself to drink it if I have the choice. Of course it always means bringing far more water than everyone else which is all weight, but shouldnt have that problem any more.

I went for the katadyn hiker due to good reviews and a sub £100 price tag.
It's also highly portable and suitable enough for my needs (day hillwalking use, rather than multi-day trips)

http://katadynch.vs31.snowflakehosting.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/katadyn_products/Downloads/Factsheet_Hiker_EN.pdf

It doesn't do virus, the only one which does by katadyn is the katadyn mybottle.

Ed
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012 »

Never really had the need for water filter ed,suppose they do become useful if had only lake or pond water,which may also need water putrefaction tablets as well.As a rule I try not to drink any stream,pond water as I find carrying my own 2ltr supply is enough,I know some of the guys on here do drink from the streams,but for me is a personnel choice not to,on at least one occasion I've got sick after drinking water,I've used the water for cooking & think this is  fine as its being boiled,for those choosing to drink from streams there are a few basic rules,always drink for fast flowing water,check around where you drink from,is there any dead animals or waste in the water,or any surface foam which is a chemical bi-product from farming,never drink from any river in flood,ie raised coloured water as this may contain Weils disease

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012 »

I have an MSR sweetwater that I got years ago. Haven't filtered any real murky stuff.
Only really use it on my travels. It's good and fast ~1L/min and quite light, but they do take up a bit of space. Does not do viruses.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012 »

My dog swims in those streams and she stinks.

I always think the water has a hint of sheep and dog dodo.

Through in a tablet and you will be fine.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]